+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transcriber???

Transcriber???

Isn't this supposed to be on the device? Mine doesn't show it.....Does anyone know what the problem might be?
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

if i remember correctly, transcriber was not loaded on all ppcs. sometimes it was on the cd. i know you can also download it from microsoft's website:

transcriber

enjoy

e

The transcriber is on the ppc-6601. When you are in a spot to enter text there is a little arrow in the bottom right of the screen that has a keyboard or some other symbol beside it. Just selet that arrow and click on transcriber.

OK, I downloaded the program and installed it but I am not able to select it. I click on transcriber but everytime the soft keyboard pops up. I went into global input settings to make transcriber the default and it did the same thing.

No worries though. I will use the slide-out keyboard more anyways. I just thought that it would be fun to write stuff down every once in a while.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

You should spend a little time with the various modes of handwriting recognition the device has built in. Once you get comfortable with that, you can actually write faster than you can peck on the slideout keyboard. The handwriting recognition is excellent and much faster than a thumb keyboard. Many of us would have opted for a thinner device and no freaking keyboard. (Look at the side of the case, the inclusion of the sliding mechanism created added thickness as the top and the bottom pieces now need to be fully inclused, thus two tops and two bottoms which means added thickness. Moving parts break too, so I'd much preferred to have no keyboard and a smaller device instead).

Administrator
    the main feature of this phone is the slide out board...

trsanscriber shouldbe on there, if you click on the name and nothing happens, you need to install it..

ive used X-scriber a few times and it is pretty cool.. reminds me of my old simon...

Marctronixx, to some people the main feature is the slide out board. To others like myself, it is the biggest detractor from this device.

For some reason, many people seem phobic about handwriting recognition as if it's some black magic that they cannot use. I have many friends like this, some who will NOT look at a PDA if it doesn't have a keyboard. I can't figure that out myself as the internal handwriting recognition is excellent.

Everybody has their own particular tastes and wants. Did I mention how much I'd like to lose that keyboard?

Searching for Perfect Converged Dev
    Bristolview - I've been used PDA's since the original "Palm Size PC" from Microsoft and have never been satisifed with the handwriting recognition, and I've tried them all.... Admittedly, my handwriting is awful, but finding a device like the PDA2K with a keyboard is a godsend.

I actually used a Clie UX-50 for a time, just for the keyboard. I've been a little disappointed in the PDA2K's bluetooth functionality, which makes it's phone usage limited for me. However, because of the keyboard, it's now my primary PDA.

Some of us simply can't use handwriting recognition because of our own limitations. Others simply don't want to take the time to learn. I surprised you would spend the money on a PDA2K with the keyboard, instead of saving some $$ and getting the previous version without keyboard since the keyboard is one of the main enahancements - WiFi is easy enough to add via SD card to the previous gen.

I don't like the keyboard at all. The keys are hard to find (Treo is better IMO). I have always used the soft keyboard and it suits me well. I wish there was a Sprint version of this machine without the KB and with WiFi.

I feel like I'm wasting money (and pocket space) on more machine than I need. But, I pretty much like everything else about the thing. What I don't get though is why they put in everything EXCEPT WiFi and a faster processor. The absence of those two things keeps this from being the perfect (for everyone in general since it would have the latest everything) machine.

Administrator
    you guys are wasting your money if you think the keyboard is a hinderance! a built in keyboard on a phone IS a feature.. one you paid for in the cost of the phone. if you dont like the keyboard, either make the best out of it or return it and get a phone that has no board!

just my opinion of course..