+ Reply to Thread

What bluetooth protocol transmits signal strength?

OK I understand that the handsfree protocol does the audio and the push protocol moves contacts to the address book but what protocol sends the signal strength from my phone to the Prius? My Prius car wont allow me to dial (although hands free works fine and dialing from the phone works fine) because it says my 6601 phone has no signal (out of CDMA range). I am not talking about bluetooth signal strength but the cell phone signal strength.

Any ideas? Other bluetooth phones dont seem to have this problem. But then maybe I am not pairing it properly.

Your explanation makes sense but leads to another question: why does the Prius work fine when paired with the Sprint Sony/Ericcson T608 phone. It is Cdma also. Maybe the 6601 is not responding properly to the AT reqquest? Any way to tell?

I certainly appreciate the speedy and knowledgable reponses. Now I am woderinf if there is something wrong with the bluetooth part of the phone or if this is jusst normal

When I have the phone paired with the Prius and I look at the Bluetooth manager on the 6601 under active connection for the status of the handsfree I see the bluetooth signal level pulsing between full strength and no singal at a rate of about one cycle per two seconds. If I drill down into properties I see it go between just right and no signal at about the same rate.

Ever see anything like that?

The prius is trying to report the level of the signal that the phone is getting from the tower.

I am going to try to pair it again (already tried several times though with no better results). Understand though that it does establish a bluetooth connection and the handfree listening, speaking, picking up and hanging up do work. It is only when you ask the car to dial that it complains that there is no CDMA signal and refuses.

I also had a wierd experience where after the car was turned off the phone inisisted it still had a bluetooth connection with good bluetooth signal strength. Ever seen that?