+ Reply to Thread

Question about Audio out and BT Headsets...

I drive alot for my work, and my i700 has been a great travel partner. When driving, I have the audio plugged into the Aux port of my radio. This allows me to listen to GPS mapping directions and MP3's over my car stereo. I have an inline mic so I can also take phone calls over the car stereo.

Now with this new phone that supports the BT Headsets (finally!)... I'd still like to have my PPC plugged into my Aux port of my stereo for the same things, GPS and Music, but I'd want to route the phone calls to a BT headset instead of my car stereo. Can this work? Or is all audio piped to the BT headset? I certainly don't want my music going there. I'd be fine with my GPS directions going to my headset though. Anyone out there lucky enough to have one of these able to answer?

Thanks.

It seems to me that the phone sound and the PPC sound are separate, but I cannot say that I really know. When I use my bluetooth headset all the phone sounds like ringing and voice come thru the headset, but all the PPC sounds and beeps come from the PPC speaker. So I would assume you could listen to music from the headset to your stereo, and at the same time take a call on your bluetooth headset.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Having opposite problem!

I have a integrated bluetooth phone in my car. The 6601 works great using the hands free headset bluetooth config. Ploblem is that it will not play audio / mp3's etc. through the connection. But havnt given up yet.

Why would you want to? It would just be a mono connection with an emphasis on voice (mid) frquencies. It would sound worse than music over the AM broadcast band. Just buy a quality modulator and plug it in.
    Phone, Radio, and Fiber Geek

Good point, thx.
    But I thought i could play digital books.
    I subscribe to audiable.com, for long drives in L.A. its pretty good.

What model car did you integrate it into and how did you do it?

BTW modulators just wont cut it in LA. There are no free frequencies. Even if you find one, after you have travelled about 10 miles that frequecney starts to be used.

I have only moderated success integrating the 6601 into my Prius. The handsfree works but the Prius incorrectly reports that the phone has no CDMA signal and wont allow dialing. Can you dial from the car (not the phone).

Originally posted by hossflatus
    Good point, thx.
    But I thought i could play digital books.
    I subscribe to audiable.com, for long drives in L.A. its pretty good.
    Ya, in your case, that would be cool if you could get it to work. Audio books should sound just fine.

As far as the modulator goes, a good one will overcome any station. I live in Milwaukee and with Chicago so close, all frquencies are in use as well. Your best bet is to just buy a hard wired one and install it yourself. Install is simple. You just need power, an RCA to 1/8" stereo adapter cable to connect the modulator to your headphone jack of the device you want to connect it to and then make the antenna connections. The way it works is, you unplug the antenna from your car stereo and plug it into the modulator. You then plug the antenna connector from the modulator back into the car stereo. When you apply power to the modulator, it cuts off your regular antenna and injects only the frequency you are modulating. You will be able to overcome any station whatsoever. These are the same units that the disc changers use. A good place to buy one cheap (less than $20) is mp3playerstore.com . They also have a great, tiny little digital portable model that only takes 1 AAA battery. I have tested it against about 10 other portable modulators and the one they have there is the best. It has the best sound and the best TX signal of all of them. It seems to work really well in large radio markets as well. Like I said though, the hard wired one will overcome anything because of its ability to switch "off" your car antenna and inject its signal directly into your stereo.
    Phone, Radio, and Fiber Geek

You can find some very good modulators that actually cut the antenna signal when they are engaged. This overcomes the over population of radio stations, with no crossover noise. I used one of these in my old truck and it was very good. I now have installed a new car stereo that has an AUX connection on it's face, now I simply plug in. No modulation needed, just pure clean sound. And yes, audible books sound great.