+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shoutcast- How can i load through WMP?

I have read several users say they can user windows media player to play shoutcast streams. Can you please post a step by step on doing this?

I have tried saving the .pls file and opening in WMP, no luck... I have also tried to browse there with WMP on my 6601... no luck there, either..

Thanks for the help.

Administrator
    just get GS player. much cleaner interface.

Totally agree.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I am trying to use GS player and I cant copy/ paste the url from IE nor can i directly open the file from IE to GS... Do I have to manually enter the address in GS player?

Go to shoutcast.com. Find the station you like and click on it. It will download a .pls file--store it somewhere, or to save a step, store it in your i700's sync folder. Rename it to the station's name so that you can pick out which one it is. Then, connect to the web, open GS player and click file, open file, and navigate to the folder you have placed the pls file. Click on the pls and you will start streaming the music!
    Jeremiah 29:11

Administrator
    yeah. you can also do it wireless.

once you are at the shoucast site, find the station you want, click the "tune in" button. a popup will ask download "shoutcast..." to "my documents' fodler in main memory? i dont want it there so i click "change". i get the option to save the file wherever i want it, so i put it in the GS player folder on sd card (greensoftware). then i go to my GS player and file/open file. ill see it there and BAM! instant music...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shoutcast- How can i load through WMP?-screen001.png  

Even better use pocket music and select the stream you want and it plays no file open i didnt pay for it though ;O)
    MotoQ HELO Q Sprint ROCKS
    PPC6601 Harrier THE TREONATOR
    Phones I have Treo300,Treo600,Treo650,G1000,PPC6600/1,PPC6700,MotoQ

Administrator
    yeah we dont want to pay for anything if we can get away with it!

shoutcast

How do you install the skins

Administrator
    dl the skin file you want to the GS folder (just to keep it simple). then go in tool/options/skin. then in the box locate the file you want to use for the skin.

So....back to the original question....... CAN WMP play shoutcast files? I have GS and like it... but the question WAS about WMP

Administrator
    with all due respect gomer, why does it matter? if you have GS player and they play fine, why not leave well enough alone?

i personally think GS player is a much better alternative... i just tried to load the file to windoze but i could not find an easy solution.

seriously, just stick with GS...

Thread Title

I was merely responding to the thread title which is --- How can I load through WMP?.... When I clicked I thought there might be a way to play these files through WMP.... If there was.. I'd like to know about it.... To me ... having one less program is valuable..... if it is possible.... Since the title is asking how to play through WMP, I would like to know if it is even possible...

Thanks

Administrator
    again, the majority here recommends GS. use that.

seems mr. copperfield is happy (or just hasnt had time to rpely himself?).

if we can get the folks who mr. copperfiled mentioned to post here, perhaps we could get you hoked up on windoze. ithink its just too much hassle to try and use win player...

im just here to help gomey!

My purpose for reading this thread

I didn't make this thread.... I use GS player...

I merely wanted to know if it is possible to use WMP to play shoutcast as the tread title implies... I have no other threads where I received any information.. Merely the title of this thread which to me implies that there my be a way...

If it is impossible... I just need someone to tell me.... If it is rediculusly difficult... someone could tell me that too..

Thanks for trying to help.... I don't have a problem.... but am just curious...

thanks

Administrator
    im telling you... it sems to be more trouble than its worth.

perhaps mr. copperfield didnt know about GS player. so we turned him on to it. he may be happy with GS player and could have abandonded trying to figure out how to get it to work on windoze.

the win player CAN get content off web sites. i just doownloaded a video.. but using shoutcast and GS player sems to be an easier alternative.

maybe you can help us out by trying to install the file into win player youself and commenting on the ease or difficulty of getting it to play...

Can WM play shoutcast streams from pls files.... Yes or No would suffice.... but if yes... a way to do it would be appreciated... I am aware that WM can play SOME video and audio streams... but my question is whether WM is able to play SHOUTCAST specipically...

As per my experience of having WM play a shoutcast file... I have until now been unsusccessful.....

If you don't know... please just say so instead of beating around the bush....

Administrator
    LOL...

from my experience, i didnt get it to work(as i mentioned earlir here). i did not exhaust every avenue to get it to work in windoze because there is another player that does it without any hassle.

i wont say its impossible but it seems from your tries and mine that they did not work.

so i say no...

I concur that it must be impossible as of yet....

So.... HOORAY FOR GS!!!!!!

Forst, it would be nice to only have one player loaded that played everything... but such is MS... they really make us work....

Secondly, I have installed GS player and it rocks!

In fact, I can stream 128 K streams for several minutes at a time... I could never do this with my treo.

Thanks for the suggestions...