+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Screen Protectors

Possible dumb question here - but does everyone use screen protectors? I bought a package at Best Buy and had to trim them, I've had the hardest problem getting them to fit and install right. In fact, I finally gave up, it just looked crappy. Am I taking a big risk not using one? I never used one on my Treo 300 and never had a problem, nor do I use them on my Dell Axim but it has a good flip cover.

I wouldn't even think of using my i700 (or future 6600) without a WriteShield from PPC Techs.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I'm using a Writeshield C2. Works great.

I tried again and was able to trim the screen protector to fit. These are WriteRights. It would probably be alot easier to get some made specifically for the 6601. Now if I could just get a case I like.

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    WriteRights are awful. They dull the screen beyond belief. Go to ppctechs and splurge on the WriteSHIELD, you will thank yourself later.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Administrator
    go with fat boy on this...

Last edited by maximum360; 11-20-2004 at 06:32 PM.

so which is the best WriteShield fit for the 6601?

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I have to agree with these guys... I killed a Pocket PC screen in about 3 seconds one time...grit under the stylus. Never again.

WriteRights are not something to waste money on. They are hard to write on, they are hard to see through, and they don't last long.

WriteShields are awesome... one will last for a very long time... I've used the same one for over a year before. It is easier to write on, than if you had no protector on... and if you get the original version, it hides skin oil, and is antiglare. I am currently using their newer clear one and it is very good.

They aren't cheap, but if you follow the instructions at http://www.smartphoneforums.com/forums/mall.php#2222 , and you get a 10% discount.

The iMate PDA2K version should work fine.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Has anyone compared the Writeshield "clear" version to the Boxwave clear version?

Originally posted by maximum360
    Has anyone compared the Writeshield "clear" version to the Boxwave clear version?
    I haven't tried the Boxwave ones, but the new C2 WriteShields are awesome. Crystal clear... I just got a set for my PDA2K and they are by and far the best screen protectors ever! (Even better then the original WriteShields!)
    John

How about the face oil? Tactile touch with the stylus? Fingerprints? I like the idea of the crystal clear, but wondered about these 3 things with these.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Originally posted by mwfielder
    How about the face oil? Tactile touch with the stylus? Fingerprints? I like the idea of the crystal clear, but wondered about these 3 things with these.
    Hmmm face oil... can't really say as I use a BT headset for phone calls. Tactile touch - normal response. Fingerprints... yeah, they are left behind but they don't make it unreadable and with the smooth finish they wipe right off.
    John

I have now tried 2 different kinds. Boxwave and JavoEdge. Both were the anti-glare.

I got the edge first and it fits great. I actually didn't know how well it fit until recently switching to the Boxwave. Boxwave is a teeeny bit smaller. Not a big deal by any means, just not as appealing as the Javo's.

Other than that, they are basically identical in all aspects.

Both are good, but I would recommend the JavoEdge.

Oh, the reason that I switched, I did not carefully apply the JavoEdge, so I got a lot of dust underneath. Now that I have a spare protector, I can go about cleaning it for reapplication.

Just in case you wanted to know
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

I have to say that the kit that comes with the WriteShields makes sure there won't be any dust to get trapped under the WriteShields when they are installed. The kit contains a brush, a wipe and a soft chamois to make your screen as perfect as possible. Well worth the money.
    John

I am using the Boxwave antiglare and they are REALLY nice. No glare, no fingerprints, nice nonslick texture. They were by far the easiest screen protector I have ever put on....first try with not a single bubble.

I would recommend to anyone.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Another vote for the Boxwave screen protectors. in fact, they sell a whole 6601 "kit", which includes the screen protector, a USB cable along with an AC and a car adapter, and - my favorite - a stylus with a pen built in.

The crystal clear protectors are just that - completely crystal clear. However, my personal preference is the anti-glare version, since I still can't even tell it's on the screen, but it cuts down on the glare/reflection off the screen dramatically.

Facial oils? Hah! One wipe on my shirt, and the screen is pristine again. I would NEVER try that without a screen protector: if you get even the most microscopic piece of grit on the screen and then inadvertently wipe it across the screen...scratched forever. Take it from me and Convergent - you will NEVER let that happen to you a second time.

The Boxwaves that I use last for months and months. Literally. Seeing as how I seem to change PDA's every 6 months (well, I kept the Treo for 9 months...a record for me), I almost never need to put a replacement Boxwave screen protector on my PDA. It lasts a lifetime! (At least for us bleeding edge geeks).

One last bit of info: I have found that with a quality screen protector, I just don't need a case anymore. My PDA/Phone lives with me...literally at all times...and a case just makes it too bulky. I just put it in my pocket, screen side facing in towards my leg, and I don't put anything else in that pocket. never had a problem.

So...screen protector - it's a MUST!

tip for those people who have problems with dust while putting it on. Turn on your shower in the bathroom...HOT. After it seems up bring everything in and put it on. The water vapor will grab on the the dust and you wont get any on your screen.

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar

Best screen protector out there?

Well, I learned the hard way with my Thera this past year that a screen protector is a must. I've never had one, so I'm hoping to draw upon the combined wisdom of the group about what kind to get for the XV6600.

I see these things all over the place, but I have to assume that there are different sizes/qualities, etc. Also, I've heard about problems with bubbling and sensitivity.

So, please fire away with what you think I should get, and probably more importantly, what to avoid.

Thank!

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

I'm using the Fellowes WriteRight screen protectors. Apparently there is different packaging or something...these were available at BestBuy and come in a black and yellow package.

The ones I have are for the Ipaq 5xxxx and are a little larger than the screen on the XV6600. After some *very delicate* knife work, I got a perfect fit.

No complaints...no loss of sensitivity, bubbling is no worse than when I was using them on my iPaq and they usually smooth themselves out in a week or so. Perhaps someone could advise of the correct size?? The overhang was about 1/10 an inch on the sides and 2/10s on the bottom of the screen......very VERY delicate knife work....
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.