+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Thanks for the info... on further review, the box says PPC-6601.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on the WiFi thing... how ever they designed it... the GSM version has WiFi and the CDMA version does not... so our description is valid for its intended purpose.

By the way, our rules allow ONE link in your signature... please update yours to comply.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by hatoncat
    There are two XDA III models:

CDMA XDA III (aka Harrier)
    GSM XDA III (aka MDA III)

The CDMA version does not have WiFi, but it is not "similar to the XDA III" it is an XDA III. It's just that the CDMA version was intended by HTC to not have WiFi.

If i-Mate made a CDMA XDA III... it wouldn't have WiFi, because that's by design, and it would still be an XDA III, not "similar to the XDA III"...
    I thought the GSM XDA III was aka Blue Angel (which is how the FCC approval documents refer to it as).

And iMate does make a CDMA version which is identical to Sprint's (and Verizon's) which they call the PDA2K EVDO: http://www.clubimate.com/index.asp?P...ILS_PDA2KEVDO.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

It depends on the definition of the word “IS XDA”

Originally posted by hatoncat
    Still, if the i-Mate CDMA XDA III is an XDA III then the PPC-6600 is an XDA III...
    I don't really understand the point you are trying to make here... We have a forum for the GSM version, and one for the CDMA version. The term "XDA" is a defacto name for the line of GSM devices made by HTC, and is what many people use to refer to them. There are enough differences between the CDMA and GSM versions to have separate forums. Unfortunately, most people do not know all of the details of who makes them, which devices are the same, etc. The description of "like and XDA III without WiFi" is meant to direct people that don't know where they are going... those that do aren't going to read that comment anyway. Our titles and descriptions are constantly updated based on user feedback to help people get to the write place to discuss them. We also merge and split forums from time to time for the same reasons. Thanks for your feedback.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I believe "XDA" is O2's official name for the product, not HTC's. I could be wrong... I don't claim to know everything.

As I said, we adjust the names and descriptions of the forums all the time, based on user feedback and our assessment of whether people are finding what they need to find. So far, you are the only person that is having an issue with this particular point. Whether HTC does or doesn't consider the GSM and CDMA versions of the third generation device to be in the same family or not, we feel they are different enough to be split into two forums. Because we are primarily US based, and because the first CDMA version to hit the US is the Sprint version, that's the way the forum is currently being named. Assuming you consider CDMA and GSM to be neutral features in comparison to one another, the most glaring difference in features between the two versions is the lack of WiFi on the CDMA version. Given that this is the primary noticable difference, it seems logical to flag that in our description. It appears that the forum is quite busy at this point, so it must be working to some degree. We will eventually try to get more detailed information in other informational parts of the site for this device.

If this is confusing other people, then perhaps they can weigh in with an opinion here.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Administrator
    i think most people here do not care what the exact name of this phone is. mikey is correct, its busy here and people seem to be finding theinfo they need. i doubt many people are reading the small info line under the main heading of this forum.

i think this convo is moot imo...