+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laptop Networking Success !!!

It's not bluetooth but it at least it points the finger at bluetooth as the culprit. I actually had a bluetooth connection up for about 15 minutes once. USB is faster and more stable. If I have my laptop and PPC-6601 it's not a big deal to wire them together.

Hookup USB Cradle to PPC-6601 and laptop
    Start WModem on PPC-6601
    Choose USB Connection type
    Hit Start

Disable all connection types in ActiveSync on your laptop or it will interfere (or at least disable USB).

Have your Sprint/PPC6601 CD ready in laptop
    Reboot laptop
    It should see a new USB device.
    Point it at the CD for the USB driver
    D:\OEM\APPS\PPC6600 & PPC6601 USB WModem\PPC6600 & PPC6601 USB WModem.INF
    OK, OK... etc.

Now create a new Dialup Connection.
    You should see a PPC6601 USB Modem

Use your Vision Username and password
    Set phone number to #777

Make sure you set no dialing rules.

Connect

You will not see the black arrows during transmission, just a phone symbol.

I even VPN'd to work !!!

The tricks for me were:
    It cannot attach to a PDA Data session. It must establish it's own.
    ActiveSync Must be off (i had it running once but it was dog slow until I killed ActiveSync - Just like the doc said).
    Rebooting the PC, I kept doing add modem and it would scan and not pick up the PPC6601 as a USB Modem. Finally I rebooted and it saw and configured it.

Same procedure can be applied to bluetooth. But again, no activesync. But it is unstable.

I did this on XP-Pro SP2

Note: Also that if you connect things after the laptop is up your Dialup Connection may be missing the PPC-6601 USB Modem (even if it had it on a previous session). Reboot with everything hooked up to get it back. It does not seem to do the USB handshake on connection, but on boot. Perhaps if Wmodem was running before hooking it up it might negociate live.

More on Note above: If you have WModem running when you plug it in to laptop, laptop will configure it without rebooting. You must have the device (USB Modem) fully emulated (WModem) when you plug it in or boot. Otherwise it won't see it.

Note this VIOLATES Vision agreement. Don't abuse or we all lose.
    It was mostly documented between the user manual and the doc on the CD for wmodem. But had minor errors and glitches.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 11-22-2004 at 12:57 AM.

Note that I have done a bunch of edits since the first post.

Also could a moderator please fix my spelling error on the topic.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info MSWLOGO!

Has anyone else tried this method successfully?
    E46fanatic

I was able to connect via bluetooth without any issues...

Can you give some more details?

Is it a Sprint Vision Phone?

Did you use WModem?

What did you do to test it?

How long were you on?

I've have it up for 15 minutes once and boom.

Did you go from laptop to web over bluetooth or just between laptop and phone (which works).

Originally posted by mswlogo
    Can you give some more details?

Is it a Sprint Vision Phone?

Did you use WModem?

What did you do to test it?

How long were you on?

I've have it up for 15 minutes once and boom.

Did you go from laptop to web over bluetooth or just between laptop and phone (which works).
    mswlogo, how long were you able to stay connected this way (through USB)? Just wondering how stable it was.
    E46fanatic

Yes on Sprint PCS Vision

I have used winmodem... but use another way usually...

I paired the device with my pc and went to My Bluetooth...

I pulled up my phone and looked at services

I selected Networking clicked connect

The 6601 asked if I would confirm the PC connecting... I clicked ok

Then I clicked connect on the dialup screen which was setup to dial #777

Then it connected... and I was online.... stayed on for 30 min or so without any problem... Had MSN messenger running if that makes a difference...

gomarpyle,

Sorry hungry for a little more detail

> I pulled up my phone and looked at services

yeah you looked at them, then what?

> I selected Networking clicked connect

On the phone or the PC?
    You implied you are looking at phone but the connect must have come from the PC. Based on you confirming on the 6601.

>The 6601 asked if I would confirm the PC connecting... I clicked ok

By the sounds of it you initiated it from the PC.
    "I selected Networking" is too general there is networking stuff to click on in about 9 places. Do you mean your "Dialup Network Connection". Or in your bluetooth management software on the PC?

I usually stress it with I.E. 6.0 on XP and it usually shuts down pretty quick.

What kind of PC you using and do you run with a blue tooth access point or is the connection "ad-hoc" (client to client).

Thanks for your time

vandoc,

I was up probably 30 minutes and really stressing. I.E. 6.0, AIM, Nortel VPN and remote desktop. allat the same time. It appeared solid. Did several shorter session too.It's never disconnected on it's own.

I am sorry I don't have more time now... but yes... I initiated from the pc through Dialup netoworking in the bluetooth menu.... Hopefully tomorrow I can give you more information

Where can I get my Sprint PCS vision user and password info?

I know with verizon it was:

User name is:
    Cell_number@vzw3g.com
    Password is:
    vzw
    Cingular 8525

As I'm reading the posts concerning Bluetooth data connectivity and laptops/PDA...it appears people skip over the replies that indicate it does work via a BT connection. Is there a specific advantage to using a cabled/USB connection as opposed to BT (besides the speed difference)???

Trying to understand if it's a hardware issue with different PDAs/Laptops/BT adapters...or just a matter of preference.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

For Sprint using Dialup Connection on PC or PCC the username and password can be blank.

The user name and password is buried in the phone when it's vision provisioned.

But if you did want that info you can get it at www.sprintpcs.com by logging into your account. And look under my personal information.

As far as Blue Tooth on PPC-6601 and using DUN. Only 1 person I know of claims it works and has not listed his hardware or procedures. And it might be stable on Verizon.

Interesting...

Well, my credit card has been charged so I'm expecting the phone tomorrow. Basically I'll be trying some setups using:

Vaio v505 w/ Anycom USB-220 adapter
    Fujitsu P7010 D w/ Anycom USB-220 adapter
    Ipaq 5555 w/ native BlueTooth adapter
    the XV600 with a Socket BT unit and Delorme Handheld

Somewhere in there I'll also try to mess around with OBEX and transferring files/contacts/etc. Since I don't use it now, it's basically on the bottom of my to-do list.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Using Vision (sprint) as modem to connect to the internet

I know that people can use unlimited vision plans to access the web via vision phone as a modem. I have a data cable and hook it up via USB and both PCs and Macs do not see the device.

Questions:
    What driver do you need?
    Does it work windows XP and/or Mac (G4)?

Pratik
    pratik84@hotmail.com

http://www.myehud.com/xv6600 <---Tells you everything you need to do to get it to work. So far its worked great on windows, havent heard anything about mac though.

I use DUN via bluetooth without a problem. I live in a 1x area so speed is only around 60kbps-100kbps. I have a Belkin USB BT adapter modelF8T003 v2. Belkin BT adapter is connected to a laptop running Windows XP SP2. Had some problem loading the Belkin BT software and driver because SP2 has built in BT support. Here are the steps I had to do to get the Belkin driver and software working, which IMO is way better than XP SP2 built in support.

1) Installed the Belkin software
    2) Plug in USB BT adapter. XP SP2 automatically installs the driver.
    3) Goto Device Manager and select BT device. Update the BT driver to Belkin driver. Once this is done, you can use the Belkin software.
    4) Launched Belkin software and chose the BT setup wizard.
    5) Selected 'I want to find a specific Bluetooth device and configure how this computer will use its services'
    6) Browse the device's services and chose Dial-up Networking
    7) Opened up network connection and selected the new dial up connection which on my laptop was called Bluetooth connection under dial-up section.
    Entered in user name i.e. phonenumber@vzw3g.com and password vzw and hit dial. I have it set on the VX6600 so that BT DUN connection to the phone requires authorization so when I dial out I have to accept connection on the phone (I'm just a little anal about who connects to the phone). This setting is in Bluetooth Settings, Services tab, Dial-up Networking Server service.

Been working like a champ without any problems. As a test I was browsing the web and playing World or Warcraft for an hour and did not have any issues, though it was a bit slow being on 1x speed only.

Hope this helps anyone with a Belkin BT adapter. I'm sure that other BT adapter's software should have something similar for choosing what services you want to use so something similar to what I did should work as well.

BTW I also have it connected via USB using CMDA_USB_DIALER and running Winmodem on the phone but in this configuration I was not able to have activesync running at the same time, whereas over BT DUN as long as I had Activesync connected first I can have a BT DUN connection going as well. Reason for having activesync running all the time is because I run Pocket Controller to remotely control my VX6600.

Regards,
    S

Are the sprint modem drivers different

mswLogo you stated:

D:\OEM\APPS\PPC6600 & PPC6601 USB WModem\PPC6600 & PPC6601 USB WModem.INF

anyone have a link to those files?
    PPC 6600, then 6700, now 6800

Call me stupid but I cannot get my Sprint 6600 to connect with my lap top using Bluetooth. I have a Kensington usb Bluetooth dongle and XP home on my Gateway MX164 laptop. When I try to pair they ask for a pass key, I do not know what the pass key is.

I finnally have the 6600 showing up in the my bluetooth place on the laptop but cannot get it to bring up available services. Is this because it is not paired correctly?

Thanks for you the help this is driving me nuts
    Dan

Now the laptop will not even find the 6600. Is the dongle to new for the 6600 to communicate with?