+ Reply to Thread

Unique SMTP username and password in PPC Outlook

I can access my work email via a POP account... but the server does not allow a non-work IP address to send an email though SMTP... On the Treo 600.... I could just set my account to send emails through a separate (my personal) email account. On PPC outlook I have the option of an smtp server... but not the option or a unique smtp server username or password.... Doesanyone have a workaround to this? I am sad to see the email options are not as comprehensive as my treo 600 email account was.

Thanks

Gomar

Pocket Outlook is, shall we say, challenged. What you are asking cannot be done, unfortunately. A work around is to create an separate SMTP with an identical account name and password as your work POP account. Easier said than done.

Another option is to look at WebIS Mail at http://www.pocketinformant.com/p_webismail.php

The only problem with this client is it doesn't handle IMAP or SSL very well which appears not to be your problem.

Good luck.

Thanks...Work in Progress

Since I posted... I realized exactly what you posted.... I am trying to setup my PCS vision account to serve as the SMTP server having identical UN and PW..... Wish me luck...

Administrator
    im not clear to your post. im slooow.....

what is your main problem? you cant set up individual smtp and pop servers?
    your work serevr does not like outside IP addys?

i dont have any problem with the several email accounts i have in poutlook. i dont use any ofhtem to access my job email.. i use OWA for that...

so im just at a loss as to what the main issue is...

My problem

I can't send an email from my phone using my work's smtp address.... my work server just doesn't allow it....

So in an effort to send emails... I need to use another SMTP server.... Unfortunately.. Outlook PPC allows for a unique smtp server... but not a unique smtp password and account name ( different than the POP account --- BTW the desktop outlook does allow this) So I am forced to create an account that has a username and password identical to that of my work email...... Hopefully this will work with sprint's email smtp server.... I am working on it..

Does this help?---- Essentially I think it is a stupid limitation of PPC outlook

Administrator
    ahh.. relaying.. you want to use your works server to send emails.. or to reply to someone form your work email... is that it?

i am not sure sprints servers will allow this either. they use to before vision was in full swing but im not sure if it can still be done. i just use sprints email for spam anyway...

Actually I want to use my home email to send emails... since my work email won't allow it...

I have never used sprint's email so this is all an experiment...