+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Creating new ringtones

Can anybody tell me how to create, load and use a new ringer for the PPC6601? I tried copying WMA and WAV files to the Windows folder, but the new sounds don't show up in the ringers section

Forever Confused
    On my i700 there is a "rings" dir. in the "windows" dir. That's where I put mine and the showed.

Thanks cougargt. That worked perfectly.

I cannot add ringtones. Please help!

I am trying to set ringtones without success.

First, I see people say to hold the menu and choose "Set as ringtone". I don't have that menu item on my xv6600.

Then from settings -> add ringtone, .mp3 files are not recognized.

I did use settings -> add ringtone for .wav files but they won't play.

Somebody please help!!!
    Any disclaimers made by me, for me, or about me -- may or may not accurately reflect my failure to represent the opinions of myself or anyone else.

Let's start from the top....

1) Copy the file you want to use to the Windows/Rings directory on the Device.

2) From File Explorer on the device, navigate to that directory and tap/hold on the file to get a pop-up menu. The last option should be Set as Ringtone.

3) Go to Settings / Phone. Any files you added should now appear in the drop down next to 'Ring Tone'.

I'm not sure you can use MP3 files, and I'm not sure why WAV files won't play, though. Maybe someone else can chime in.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I appreciate your feedback, but I tried that. OldPhoneLOUD .wav doesn't show up in the ringtones from settings -> phone. The other wav files (without the space) do show up but cannot play.

I can play an mp3 file directly, but not as a ringtone. None of the .wav files that I downloaded play at all on the phone although they are fine on my PC.

I must be doing something wrong, or there is something wrong with my phone.
    Any disclaimers made by me, for me, or about me -- may or may not accurately reflect my failure to represent the opinions of myself or anyone else.

In the Loud Ringtone Thread, try the OldPhoneL.wav I posted. I couldn't get OldPhoneLoud .wav to work either.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Administrator
    you can only put .wavs in the windows/rings folder

just double check your settings... its a very easy thing to do... the instructions posted here are what you need to do...

Limited success

Strangely, I just changed OldPhoneLoud to aaaOldPhoneLoud and now it works fine. Somehow, I've got to figure out how to get the other ones working.

Also, is there any way to assign an incoming number to a specific ring? This seems pretty elementary in terms of cell phone capability, but it doesn't seem possible on the xv6600.

No, you can't assign number/contact specific ringtones. People are working on apps to do that, but I don't think any existing progam works 100% with these devices.

Marctronixx, you can use WMA files in the \Rings directory as well as WAV.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Unhappy HELP!!!

I was able to copy 2 ringtones to the Rings folder. For some odd reason, I now unable to write/paste anything on any folder. Windows, My music, etc. folders. when I try to Synch from the 6600, the device ask for a user and/or server password. never did that before. Help!!!

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar
    part of the problem might be that ringtones (not all) seem to need a "space" after the name but before the '.wav" or ".wma" file extention in order to show up in the ringer list. try this and report back to us on your success (hopefully)
    Last edited by jaderaven; 03-17-2005 at 11:33 PM.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    you can only put .wavs in the windows/rings folder

just double check your settings... its a very easy thing to do... the instructions posted here are what you need to do...
    No, WMAs too.

-BD

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar
    Originally posted by BrunDog
    No, WMAs too.

-BD
    YES!! .WMA is supported.

Check out this thread for multiple ringtones.

Multiple Ringtones?

I have used both potala telly and photo contacts successfully.

Notifications seem to need to be wav files and must be put in \windows. If it is a ringtone for the phone then it can be in either \windows or \windows\rings and can be wav, wma or midi. It does seem picky about names but I don't have any spaces in my names. Just alphas and underscores. I remember having some trouble when there were numbers in the name.
    Last edited by IvanLasston; 03-18-2005 at 12:03 AM.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    Check out this thread for multiple ringtones.

Multiple Ringtones?

I have used both potala telly and photo contacts successfully.

Notifications seem to need to be wav files and must be put in \windows. If it is a ringtone for the phone then it can be in either \windows or \windows\rings and can be wav, wma or midi. It does seem picky about names but I don't have any spaces in my names. Just alphas and underscores. I remember having some trouble when there were numbers in the name.

The problem is not which formats works or which folder to store the ringtones. The problem I'm having is NOT being able to paste/write on any folders using any formats. Please read my thread below "Write Protected??? - Help!!!" for more info.
    Thanks again

Write Protected??? - Help!!!

The other version of Photocontacts does work great.

Dave just sent me the latest version of Potella Telly Software that will become the distribution version to test out. I will let you know once I install it and try it out.

As for creating ringtones see my thread below:

Loud Ringtones!!!!!!
    ( http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=69737 )

You find links to apps that will help you create ringtones, convert them, and make them louder. I also posted several ringtones and system sounds that I have either created from scratch or modified to be louder. Please feel free to use any of them you like.

Ringtones goes into Windows/Rings folder
    System Sounds goes into the Window directory.

I hope this helps.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

My Wife thinks I am a total dork davidgelb's Avatar
    Hey all,
    I am having a problem...I put 2 MP3 files into the windows\ring folder but it isn't showing up in the ringer selection drop-down...the files are only 1 word and are between 3.5-5mb. I have another MP3 in there, much smaller in size, which shows up. Is there a file size limit for MP3 ringers?

Thanks!
    _David

You can't use mp3s as ringtones with the default app.(Not absolutely true but getting mp3s as ringtones takes some ROM upgrading,not recommended for newbies) Try using wma or photocontacts.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Ivan - I'm unaware of a ROM version where MP3s work as ringtones. I just tried it again on mine (2.03) and it would not let me select non wav/wma files as a ringtone.

Method?

Ehud
    Way to go Michelin
    Way to go ChampCar!!!