+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ok battery life...

I've used the phone apparently the same almost everyday. Some days I have 50% left by 5PM and others I have 10% left by 5PM.

I got pocket hack master to monitor battery (monitor only I have not fiddled with speeds) but it seems to use up power itself. I may try another tool.

I'm trying to find the pattern that uses power.

I have had AIM up everyday and perhaps it's doing some traffic that I'm not aware of and no bleeping me. Because there seem no correlation with AIM messages.

There is something funny going on.

I'd still keep this phone even if every day ran battery like my worst day. This phone is great. I just want to squeak the most out of it and under it's quarks.

Administrator
    this phone wil suck they juice. if you have any program that needs to make a data call, then you will certainly drain the battery quicker. phone technology improves by leaps and bounda but battery technology is still severala years behind. and until it catches up with the phone tech, we wil have these issues.

the ppc phone uses so much power, given the fast processor, multitasking, screen brightness, backlight, always on data... bluetooth... alll these factors kill the battery...

Yeah but why are some days fine?

Posted from my ppc6601

You'll find that wireless access really kills battery life.

Also, Pocket hackmaster really needs to be configured for slower cpu speeds to gain you much.

My only suggestion would be:
    1. dim the display
    2. slow the cpu perhaps
    3. understand data access uses alot of battery

Other then that you should get another charger...

btf

I know all that. I set up the unit EXACTLY the same every day and the battery varies a LOT. It just sits in my pocket with normally dormant data connection. Some days are great and others not. usage is not varying as much is battery is.

Administrator
    signal also plays a vital part. if you are in fringe areas your battery will be used much more. being in your pocket makes the radio transit harder sine it has to send signale thry your body tissue, head, clothes, etc. even if the data is dormant, vision periodically talks to the phone form time to time. this happens on all vision phones , not just smartphones..

point is, the ppc platform uses tons more battery power. if you are suggestng that there is a malfuction in the battery, i doubt that. you are experiencing what all of us long time ppc users experience.

Data use is a big battery killer, worse than bright screen. So far my battery life has been comparable to my previous G1000's.

Just having the phone on will kill the battery in a couple days.

Originally posted by hatoncat
    Easiest fix is to have a second phone for voice... or buy a car charger/second battery.

It sure was nice of HTC to make the cradle's standard spec for the XDA III have a second battery slot...
    I use a lot of data everyday, so Im dead in the water if I don't do a quick charge on a regular basis, i.e. in the car.

Where can I buy a spare battery for the 6601? I haven't seen any available yet anywhere.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Originally posted by hatoncat
    Easiest fix is to have a second phone for voice... or buy a car charger/second battery.

It sure was nice of HTC to make the cradle's standard spec for the XDA III have a second battery slot...
    Defeats whole purpose of the converged device.

Administrator
    exactly.

quickets thing to do in the interim, is get a inverter for the car and bring your charger along...

ppc techs may have the lil sync power box for the 0x phones. i have it for the G and it helps in a pinch. insert 4 AA batteries and you have portable power!

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    exactly.

quickets thing to do in the interim, is get a inverter for the car and bring your charger along...

ppc techs may have the lil sync power box for the 0x phones. i have it for the G and it helps in a pinch. insert 4 AA batteries and you have portable power!
    I got my portable AA backup power box from Boxwave for my 6601 and it works great.....as long as you don't forget the mini cable so you can attach it to the phone!
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Administrator
    to each his own.

im perfectly fine with an all in one unit. most folks who get these phones want to carry less devices...

'This battery work?

Does this battery work for a PPC 6601?

(People have said here that the imake PDA2k is the same as the PPC.. 'cept for GSM or some such, but there's a bunch of PDA2k things there.)

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=115749

In any case, thats also a good website. Good luck,
    Byron

Unhappy My VZW xv6600 suck battery like no tomorrow!

Yeah, I figured it wasn't going to be gentle on batteries, but my i700 wasn't this bad.
    I use Handymenu and Handyswitcher, and nothing is running for programs. This morning, and after 45 minutes, I am down to 86% battery and no clue to why...
    My signal here at work is fine, and both batteries had been charged for 8 hours before useing them...
    I decided to use Imiersofts XCPUscalar program that I used to use on the i700, and that doesn't seem to make a difference either...

Am I missing something here? I just hit the top button to turn the thing off, and I understand the phone is still running in the background... which of course it needs to be for me to recieve calls...

See my voodoo thread.

Also I agree over time the battery seems to get better as well as your habits on sticking with stable software and running what you really need.

There are numerous threads on battery life.

Also on Sprint the Screen Brightness while on battery is fairly high and chews up a a lot of battery. I have mine set 1 notch above the lowest setting.

Bluetooth can chew up battery but I seem to have less problem with that lately since applying my voodoo below.

Also shutoff your IR listener and set timeout for screen off as short as possible.

Battery voodoo seems to work for me

Some folks were asking to quantify the battery life, so I tracked my usage today...

Here is a day in the life of my XV6600:
    Phone:
    Backlight set to one notch above totally off (dimmest setting)
    Backlight turns off in 30 seconds
    Device turns off in 1 minute
    Kept bluetooth off all day
    Very high signal strength area all day.

Charge:
    Charged for 10 hours straight last night
    Removed from charger at 7:35 AM with 100% charge

Phone usage:
    16 calls total today ( 5 inbound, 8 outbound and 3 unanswered)
    85.1 minutes total talk time (no speaker phone usage)

Data Usage (1xRTT) :
    19 Over the air syncs (syncing with Exchange 2003 and set to sync when new items arrive), between 30 seconds and 1 minute per sync.
    3 SMS messages (in addition to the 19 hidden ones that invoke the sync above)
    Left data connection dormant between syncs (didn't end - available all day)
    10 minutes of web browsing (2 speed test and misc. pages)
    89 emails downloaded to second account on device (7 minutes)

PDA Usage:
    30 minutes of general PDA usage (calendaring and task management)
    2 IR syncs of about 5 minutes each

At 5:35 PM (exactly 10 hours later) I had 8% of my charge left on the battery.

Hope this helps in some way.
    Last edited by baysailor; 12-10-2004 at 06:54 PM.

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar

Backlight

Originally posted by bfaber
    Posted from my ppc6601

You'll find that wireless access really kills battery life.

Also, Pocket hackmaster really needs to be configured for slower cpu speeds to gain you much.

My only suggestion would be:
    1. dim the display
    2. slow the cpu perhaps
    3. understand data access uses alot of battery

Other then that you should get another charger...

btf
    Hey, does the VX6600 still have that problem the i700 has ... when the battery power gets to 20% you can't turn the backlight on ... ?
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Re: Backlight

Originally posted by Kreigz
    Hey, does the VX6600 still have that problem the i700 has ... when the battery power gets to 20% you can't turn the backlight on ... ?
    No. I have run my XV6600 down below 10% several times and the backlight still comes on.

At some point, I think my PPC-6601 did shutoff the back lite for low battery. Can't remember. But what it did made perfect sense to conserve.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 12-11-2004 at 09:42 AM.

I noticed the backlite dim when I hit 10% but it was still on.
    Dan