+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pharos GPS

Pharos GPS

Can I buy a Igps 360 cable from the pdaphone store?

Is the cable the same as one for a XDAII or Audio Vox 5050?

Thanks Dan

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Which store are you referring to? We don't have the cable in our pdaPhone.com store. We have a cobranded store with MobilePlanet, so I'm guessing that's the one you are talking about. I believe that the XDA II cable is the same as the PPC6601, but I don't know that anyone has tested it.

Just out of curiosity, however, why not go with a Bluetooth GPS?
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by Convergent
    Which store are you referring to? We don't have the cable in our pdaPhone.com store. We have a cobranded store with MobilePlanet, so I'm guessing that's the one you are talking about. I believe that the XDA II cable is the same as the PPC6601, but I don't know that anyone has tested it.

Just out of curiosity, however, why not go with a Bluetooth GPS?
    I donot want the bluetooth because of added cost $100 vs $30 and then I have to charge two devices the BT and the 6601.
    Pharos thinks the cable from the XDAII will work but they have not tested it either. I am tired of all the batteries to keep charged.
    Also can you use a Blue tooth GPS and a Blue tooth head set at the same time?

Thanks Dan

You can use a Bluetooth headset and GPS at the same time. You can get a car kit that includes a charger for the GPS and the PPC6601, meaning that you still don't have the charging problem... but you have the flexibility to use the GPS out of the car. You can't use it outside the car otherwise. If you already have the GPS, then the cable option is probably better. You should see if they'll let you test the cable for them.
    Mike - Been Converged?

yes I already own the kit for the Hitachi G1000 that includes the I360 GPS receiver. Good Idea on the testing, I will contact them.
    Dan

I have the Pharos Bluetooth GPS unit, it is very nice. Convergent do you have any idea where I could buy a replacement AC adapter? I have emailed Pharos but they have not responded.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Call Pharos direct, the phone number is listed in the contact tab of site.

They are researching the XDA II cable for compatibility for me.

Originally posted by SpineDoc
    I have the Pharos Bluetooth GPS unit, it is very nice. Convergent do you have any idea where I could buy a replacement AC adapter? I have emailed Pharos but they have not responded.
    I think that ddwire's advice is the best... just call them directly and they should be able to help you out.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Pharos tech support called me back today and said the xda II cable will work. I plan.on ordering one on friday.
    Dan

wired gps?

has anyone tried a wired gps on their phone? i'm trying to find out if my tomtom xda cable is compatible with the 6600. I've tried getting info from tomtom and gpspassion but the phone is too new to get an answer. I'd like to get by with what i have till i splurge on a bluetooth upgrade. thanks in advance.

Pharos told me that their cable for the XDAII will work.

it looks like the original cable works. you just need to be carefull inserting the cable.

ddwire,

I just got the 6600 from Sprint. Can you confirm that the cable for the XDAII works and can you provide a link to order it?

Thanks

the cable for the xda from tomtom definitely works for the 6600. i'm fairly sure the xda 2 cable will work. just be careful with the little notch when connecting.

Thanks crash.

The problem is that we've already purchased the Pharos unit for the G1000 and are trying to avoid replacing the reciever. Will the tomtom cable fit the Pharos reciever and can you provide a link to it?

Thanks

what i'm saying is that the xda2 cable phros offers will most likely work fine for the 6600. you just have to be gentle when connecting it

youngworld, sorry I have not ordered the cable yet. Pharos tech support verified to me that the cable will work. Just call the 800 # and they will order it for you.

Not a problem. I went to Fry's and picked up the BT adaptor instead. Pairs nice with the 6600 but Mapopolis and Ostia won't connect to it. I believe it's the com port.

In Bluetooth services on the 6600>services >serial port> advanced, the outbound port states 6. Even if I set the mapping software to com port 6, gps won't initialize. I'm hearing that ppc seem to like port 8. Are there any ideas on how to change the serial port number on the ppc?

SpineDoc,

How did you get this thing to work? What are your serial com port settings in the Bluetooth Manager and what com port are you using with what gps software?

Both Ostia and Mapopolis will work. You just need to select in each of them what Com port to use. I thought it was 7, but I don't remember... and I just erased my 6600's memory and haven't had a chance to reload it. The order of events is that you need to first start Bluetooth manager and get the GPS connected. (this means you would have had to already pair them as well) Then after that is there, the device will appear on the Com port... not before. Once you have it setup and working there is a prompt that occurs somewhere in the process to ask if you want this as the default... don't recall exactly where. Once you select that, it will pair and connect automatically when you start it up in Mapopolis. It definitely works... just have patience.

As a side note on the Pharos GPS. I tried two of them and ended up taking them both back. The first one was taking 5+ minutes to find itself. In many cases I was already at my destination and it hadn't determined its location. I took it back and replaced it. The second one seemed to aquire quicker... but it wouldn't hold a charge so it would die within a few minutes of disconnecting the charger. Two strikes was enough for me. I ended up with the RoyalTek BT GPS mini RBT-1000 which I got from Semsons. It was the top rated Bluetooth GPS at GPSPassion and the ower of that site recommended it to me. Its about 1/3 smaller than the Pharos, extremely fast (almost always acquires a signal in less than 1 minute), and comes with AC and DC chargers and a removable battery. Its probably not a brand you've heard of, but its a nice GPS.
    Mike - Been Converged?