+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My 5-minute review of Socket WiFi SDIO Card - $49.00

Howdy...

Just received my ecost.com open-box special SDIO WiFi Card from Socket. Only used it for about 5 mins, but here are my experiences:

1) Downloaded updated drivers from the web site. Didn't bother wiht the CD that came with the card.

2) Installed software

3) Soft-reset

4) Pop'd in card

5) Found network instantly. Entered pass-key. DCHP. Done!

It was that simple. Within about 90 seconds, I was surfing the web, mapping shared drives, playing mp3s from my file server, checking email, all over my home-network...

Haven't tested range/battery issues yet...

Smiles,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

Just ordered mine! Ecost open box was over I paid 86.95-20=66.95 from mobileplanet

Got it, doesn't work.... Downloaded the update installed soft reset nothing. no link nada. Light not on. I can see the software, but "turn radio on" does nothing. Do I need to do something with SDIO NOW! software? I have no clue if it's even there..

bummed....

60 seconds later edit: WORKING!!!!!!!!! Damn card wiggles around in the slot. I had to physically push the top of it to the left and BAM! Found my Wirelsss home network and I'm surfing at 11MBPS!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT
    Last edited by lkaufma1; 12-02-2004 at 09:35 PM.

Can one of you post picture to get an idea of what it looks like mounted. I'm holding out for one of the new lower profile ones but I'd still like to see.

Don't have my camera with me right now. But it does stick out approx 7/8" from the top of the unit. I don't really like it as it asdds length, but I really don't like the fact that it can wiggle ever so slightly while inserted. I thought it was affecting my ability to recognize the card itself, however I did a soft reset and I can readily take the card out and put it back in and it recognizes it immediately.

A question for everyone - when you are using WiFi, is your phone turned on or off?

Phone works fine with WiFi turned on. Bluetooth however seems to lose connections when WiFi becomes active. Bluetooth continues to work, but range is severely decreased or non-existent. I'm thinking that the WiFi signal is so strong, the very low power bluetooth can't get any communications through, kinda like a mouse peep in a crowd, nobody will hear it.

Ben,
    Do you find you are needing to soft reset to get the unit to recognize that the card is inserted quite often? After a long period where I don't use the card (i.e. removed) I put it back in and it doesn't recognize that the card is inserted. I soft reset and it recognizes immediately after.

I appear to need a reset every time I insert the card..

- Ben
    Ben Freedman

Originally posted by ben1000
    I appear to need a reset every time I insert the card..
    At least I'm not alone. If this remains to be the case, this isn't a good thing and I'll be looking at the next available option. Because that's a pain plus the added length isn't very attractive.

Thankfully, its ok for me because its for occassional use only. Most of the time I use Vision. Ill use the wifi at airports and such in other countries with no vision..

Ben

Originally posted by ben1000
    Thankfully, its ok for me because its for occassional use only. Most of the time I use Vision. Ill use the wifi at airports and such in other countries with no vision..

Ben
    I guess you're right. I wonder how to compare the speed of wifi vs vision. Or battery drain or anything else that matters...

Quick question: When you insert your Socket card into the 6601, does it face frontwards or backwards when looking at the front of the phone? Mine goes in with the reverse (label/UPC) side facing me (screenside), which certainly seems odd (I have to turn the unit over to check the green LED's status). Card works fine, though, albeit with major battery drain versus Vision, which is quick enough for most of my needs.

thanks...aa

Yep. Just like yours. The light is facing away from you...

- Ben
    Ben Freedman

what is Vision?
    -rp-

~I760~
    (retired I700,XV6600,I730)

Vision= Sprint's name for its wireless data service.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Anyone with an XV6600 get it to work?
    When I install the driver it says part of the WLAN tools did not install... and the card will not show up.

(The card and drivers work fine in my i700).

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    Anyone with an XV6600 get it to work?
    When I install the driver it says part of the WLAN tools did not install... and the card will not show up.

(The card and drivers work fine in my i700).

Ehud
    Got mine yesterday and it worked fine out the box on my XV6600....

1. Established BlueTooth ActiveSync connection.
    2. Inserted memory stick with device drivers downloaded from Socket (didn't use CD) and started setup.
    3. ActiveSync installed to PDA and PDA displayed message "One or more components is missing"...something to that effect.
    4. Reset PDA and powered on.
    5. Inserted SDIO card and started Socket app again...B-I-N-G-O.

That "One or more components is missing" error seems to come up anytime the the Socket wireless application is started but the card is not inserted. A few times I ran into the problem of having to reset the 6600 before the card became active. It hasn't happened enough for me to correlate it with anything I might or might not be doing. Good luck!!!
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I have the sandisk card I used with my I700. Anyone get this to work woth the VX6600? I tried and the software pretty much locked up the device.

Tried the socket drivers, but it could not find the card.

Mike

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Yes, turns out Sprite's PocketMon is the conflict.

With PocketMon in the today items... the wifi card will not load driver / run.

With PocketMon removed from today items it runs but won't connect.

With PocketMond deinstalled it runs fine.

Ehud