+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Anyone Tried WiFi SD Card?

Hi,
    Please excuse my ignorance. I tried searching this forum and couldn't find this information. With the lack of built-in wifi, has anyone been able to try a wireless connection with a WiFi SD card?
    Like a Sandisk combo card or something similar?

Thanks in advance.

I DID IT!!!!! I Got the Scandisk 256mb Wifi Card to Work!!!!!! At Least....

Now before everyone starts asking how.....I can only share it in the most technical terms.......I don't know!!!!!

This is what happened:

I installed the CD version of the drivers, inserted the card, reset, and it did not work.

After several tries I got to see a list of some networks in my neighborhood only ONCE and the rest of the time it froze my system and I had to soft set it.

I then installed the website version of it with no luck...still froze and did not work.

I never got the system to recognize the 256mb memory card either.

After another post stated that ScanDisk 3rd teir support said they don't support it and will never support I wrote the company I bought it from and got approval for a return.

Now it is 4 days later and I have done nothing more. As I was packing it up to return it I decided to try it one more time for kicks....and immediately it asked if I wanted to format the mem card. I said yes.

I then started the ScanDisk config app, added the MAC to my MAC filtering on my wireless router, entered my 128 bit key, and presto 100% signal strength to my network.

I browsed the net for about an hour just marvelling at the Wifi speed.....doing nothing but jumping from site to site watching how fast it loads!

I even logged onto 3 of my neighbors network, who apparently don't have a clue about wireless security.

I have removed the card several times, and it works instantly each time. I even replace my 1 gig card, reset, removed the mem card, then put in my Scandisk, reset, and it still worked!

But now that I got your hopes up, on the 4th try of removing it and putting back in to test its ability to restablish a connection....the phone refuses to see that the card is in!

Urrrrg!!!!! Man.....this just sucks that Scandisk is refusing to support Mobile 2003se!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11-25-2004 at 04:22 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

SanDisk made a fatal mistake on the design of that card. Your PPC can recognize memory cards all by itself with no custom drivers. SanDisk opted to make the first device visible the WiFI card, which requires custom drivers. By doing this, the memory is not standard either, and yet again needs custom drivers (STUPID). They SHOULD have made the memory interface standard, so that you could use the card for Memory in any device, without drivers needed, and used custom drivers for the WiFi side only. They unfortunately didn't opt to design this way, and it's very hard to support as is. Good Idea, Bad Design. Maybe they'll learn their lesson next time. FYI: They were informed of these issues PRIOR to building the first prototypes of this card, and went forward anyway.

Did you by chance use the Socket wifi card before the SanDisk started working? They supposedly use the same chipset so the drivers should be similar (except for the aforementioned hack to support the extra memory)

Originally posted by OneJaguar
    Did you by chance use the Socket wifi card before the SanDisk started working? They supposedly use the same chipset so the drivers should be similar (except for the aforementioned hack to support the extra memory)
    Nope, I am still waiting for the Socket to arrive.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Just left a Panera Bread (restaurant) in New Jersey. Huge sign said FREE WIFI. I read this will become commonplace in the future. I hope it drives down the price of Sprint and Verizon data plans.

I think there is another post on this, but I made the mistake of buying the Sandisk Wifi + 256MB SD card. Two hours of monkeying around with it and a quick call to Sandisk confirmed that the combo card is NOT compatible with the PPC6601 (or any of the HTC variants). Sandisk tech support says that the straight wifi SD is fine, but the on the other post Socket's cards seem to be preferred.

Yes works great. Socket SDIO card or SanDisk card without memory works perfectly with no issues that I've found. A newer smaller format card soon to be on the market also works great.

Avoid the Sandisk card with Memory, great idea, bad design.

Originally posted by scott329
    I think there is another post on this, but I made the mistake of buying the Sandisk Wifi + 256MB SD card. Two hours of monkeying around with it and a quick call to Sandisk confirmed that the combo card is NOT compatible with the PPC6601 (or any of the HTC variants). Sandisk tech support says that the straight wifi SD is fine, but the on the other post Socket's cards seem to be preferred.

according to a poster on howardforums, it does work with the mini HTC joint, the iMate jam, but you were probably referring just these particular model variations

I have used the SanDisk SDIO WiFi card with my XV6600. Both the SanDisk and the Socket drivers worked (obviously not installed at the same time). On going, I will use the Socket drivers/utilities as I like them better (used them on my i700 too).

Bristolview, what smaller form factor cards are coming out? It would be great to have a card that protruded only a little!

I have the Socket WiFi card and it works perfectly!
    Tom

Originally posted by d2tw4all
    I have the Socket WiFi card and it works perfectly!
    Tom
    Same here....just installed the software, plugged in the Socket Wifi card, added the MAC address to my Router's MAC Filtering list, and connected immediately without a single problem.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Originally posted by baysailor
    Bristolview, what smaller form factor cards are coming out? It would be great to have a card that protruded only a little!
    I new card is -very- close to making it to market. The new form factor is the same as the Socket Bluetooth SDIO card (which is much shorter than the Socket WiFi card).
    As such, it will protrude a little, but not nearly as much as the WiFi cards do today. Development is almost done, but I'm not sure who will put their name on it by the time it's for sale in retail. It will not be sold by the company developing it, it will be sold by other companies, most likely more than one. Look for it in the March timeframe of '05.

Well... I had the Socket drivers working with my SanDisk card in my XV6600.

After installing and uninstalling a bunch of stuff, I thought it might be good to do a hard reset and start with a fresh load of only the things I wanted. I downloaded the latest Socket drivers (3.01.04.03.0038 142E 09/13/04) and they won't install completely. Another odd thing is, after trying to load these Socket drivers, my XV6600 won't go to sleep on its own if there is an Express Network connection.

I performed another hard reset and it is sleeping again properly.

The funny thing is that I had installed some Socket drivers before and gotten everything to work, but I am not sure what version it was as I had previously downloaded it and deleted it when I downloaded the latest one.

Anyone else having issues installing the Socket drivers?

Verizon 6600 - San Disk WiFi ??

I am going to purchase a 6600 from Verizon. Since they didn't put WiFi on these, does anyone know if a SanDisk SD WiFi card will work on this phone ?

d2tw4all, does your Socket card have memory on it ?

Does the SanDisk 256mb Wi-Fi Card work on a 6600? (HobbesIsReal)

I seen a post by HobbesIsReal about recommended products, but noticed it is dated in december before the 6600 came out.

I was wondering if this Wi-Fi card works on the 6600. I keep my custom ringtones & pictures on a 1 GB SD card right now, but would like to have all of that info stored on a wi-fi card also. That way no matter which card is in, I will always have that info when somebody calls.

To the best of knowledge no. I had one and could not get it work at all, except for once for about 45 seconds. I emailed scandisk several times with zero response.

Another member on one of the boards, maybe this one, posted that he talked to level 2 or 3 tech support person and quoted him as saying that no matter what is advertised they do not have a driver for 2003 SE and will not be writing a driver for it......so it will never work.

Pretty silly marketing decision IMHO.

Rumors have floated around about other similar options becoming available this year, but I haven't heard anything lately.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Anyone else have problems with SD wifi/256mb

My SD wi-fi/256mb card *had* been working intermittently on my ppc6000

Now it seem even after i soft reset it with it already in, or soft reset it and then put it in, and no matter how many times, it's not working!

Every time it asks me if I want to format it to make it readable, and wether i hit yes or no, nothing happens! ;(

I can't even use the 256mb of extra storage...

Any help?

It has been reported here by Hobbesisreal that the 256K/WiFi Sandisk card does not have the correct drivers. Use the one without the memory or the Socket SD card.