+ Reply to Thread
    BDF

Speaker kinda sounds lousy

I get on some calls, especially form T-Mobile people and cant understand them half the time. The start up and close down sounds are very distorted.

Is my unit defective or is it a typical thing. I dounloaded a song and it sounds ok if its not too loud but its still a bit distorted.

Any ideas, if noone else has the phone call issues Im sending it back.
    Last edited by BDF; 11-25-2004 at 07:34 PM.

I find the speaker very good. But not loud enough inspeaker phone mode. If you find it related to T-Mobile then I suspect it's t-mobile. I previously had T-mobile and very pleasantly surprized how much better the quality of sound is on ppc6601/sprint than h6315/t-mobil. Night and day. It's not a super speaker but it's good.

The earpiece is VERY loud, but it does have a certain distortion that kind of makes words just a tad unrecognizable, hard to explain. The volume in speakerphone is a bit weak though.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Baseline Audio Quality XV6600

Can anyone comment on the audio quality without headset, on speakerphone and on wired headset?

I'm interested in audio quality both for the other party and for you on the call.

Thanks!!!

Little soft on the speaker volume, but adequate for me, speakerphone is fine, and headset sounds really good. IMHO.
    Jeremiah 29:11

how's it compare to the treo 600 or 650 for those in the know?

Can't comment about Treo, but will also second that speaker volume is low. Had considerable difficulties over the weekend hearing people above the drones of soccer-moms and little kids at the malls. The volume seems a little better when using a BT headset...propably because of separate volume controls. Speakerphone is very nice and loud.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

the speeker phone on the treo is a bit louder but not by much. Overall quality is about the same.

Angry XV6600 poor speaker / mic volume

I have been using the 6600 for over a week and I hate the speaker/microphone volume on it.

As far as the speaker goes, the maximum sound volume is so low that I can barely hear the person on the other end if there is even a slight level of ambient noise. The volume is even lower than the I-700 that I previously used.

Microphone is another problem. No matter how I hold the device, the person on the other line always complains that I sound like I am in another room (they can barely hear me unless I start screaming into the phone).

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? What are the possible solutions? Is this due to the poor design of the device or simply some idiot at Verizon limiting the maximum speaker / microphone volume in order to maximize battery life?

Is it really that hard to design a Pocket PC phone that has at least the same speaker/microphone volume than piece of crap free cell phones that people get when they sign up for cellular service? Many people around me have those phones and they sound much loder than the 6600

Eugene

if the speaker volume is too low for you, you could always use the speakerphone function.

I also find the speaker volume to be too low but have mostly used a BlueTooth headset. The volume seems much improved through a BT headset. Even using a Plantronics corded headset, I still found the volume to be too low.

Mic wise, the only thing I'd suggest is using the unit while the keyboard is extended. My wife also complained a couple times I sounded muffled. When I do use the PDA for a call, I extend the keyboard and haven't had a complaint since.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I shouldn't have to use the speaker phone or a BT headset to be able to have volume for noisy rooms.

Originally posted by davidl340
    I shouldn't have to use the speaker phone or a BT headset to be able to have volume for noisy rooms.
    But it's still nice to know you can if you need to.

I've had no issue with the volume or clarity of incoming calls since I got mine the other day.

I have notice that it's much more forgiving about where you place the "earpiece" compared to my Treo 600. You had to find the "sweet spot" on the Treo in order to hear the caller at all... I didn't have any problem adjusting to it but when other people used my phone they always commented on it. I don't think I'll have that problem with the 6601, though.

Originally posted by Kupe
    But it's still nice to know you can if you need to.
    true, I'm quite please with the phone, just bothers me that Verizon with their so called holy grail of testing didn't pick on the low volume thing. It is seems that the Sprint version doesn't have this problem, just Verizon's.

BDF
    I have the same volume and poor sound quality issues with my sprint midel. i agree. why cant they make decent phone? especially for $600*
    Fear of speed is learned not inherited.

hmm, didn't know Sprint's was the same, heard conflicting reports. Anyway, I'm just hoping a fix comes out. I can live with the volume. It is actually just right for most situations for me, just not when there is a decent amount of ambient noise.

I have the Sprint one and the volume is fine, but the phone sounds terrible. It sounds like you're holding a jar over your ear. It sounds a lot better if you either tilt the phone away from your ear or simply leave an inch gap between your ear and the phone. It sucks.

Converged Gadget Freak StressPuppy's Avatar
    Personally, I think it is all in how you hold it.

I have both a Treo 600 (soon to be sold) and a PPC6601. When I first got the 600, I remember thinking it sucked and was hard to find a spot to hold it so I could hear well. After awhile, I got used to it and it was great.

I feel the same about the PPC6601. A little awkward at first, but once I found the "sweet spot", it is great. I have no static when holding it to my ear and I can hear fine. Is fairly loud I think. Now, if I move it out of the "sweet spot", the loudness goes down a bit. I guess it is all about channeling it into the ear channel........

Besides, if it was as loud as some people want, you know there would be some idiot out there suing Sprint/Audiovox/HTC because they lost hearing in one ear!!!

Haven't tried speakerphone yet, and I am still trying to decide on a headset......