+ Reply to Thread

6600-6601 wi-fi?

I am now in the process of researching to buy my 1st pda phone. I am very impressed with and leaning towards the 6600 (when it becomes available) However, I would like to be able to use wi-fi and I know this phone doesn't not come with it. (Seems like Sprint wants all the air minutes they'll get to bill from their customers searching the web at slow speeds.But hey, maybe I'm just jaded) Does anyone think Sprint will eventually capitulate and include this? IF NOT....does an external wi-fi adapter exist that will work with this unit?? I looked around on the boards and didn't see anything mentioned.
    Thanks All for your answers,
    Russ

The reason there is no wifi is not greed. CDMA radio is larger. see threads on external wifi cards.

To the question as to an external WiFi adaptor. YES. You can purchase an SDIO WiFi card from Socket or Sandisk now, but they are a bit long. Coming shortly now is a newer card that is much shorter in length so will be less intrusive. I don't know who will be marketing it, but I would look toward Socket (wink wink). The current cards, sold by Socket and Sandisk use the same intersil chipset and work very well.

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar
    ANy inside info on wheter or not there will soon be a Socket memory+wifi combo card?

There are no plans that I know of to release a memory + WiFi combo card. SanDisk hasn't made much money on their ill designed version, and has had a support nightmare on their hands, so I don't know if they'll try to fix it or just bail.