+ Reply to Thread

Power on, power off...

Anyone see this?

Sometimes I can turn the power off, and it turns back on again right away (after maybe three secs.) This can happen several times in a row, and then finally itll stay off...

Also, sometimes the autoshutoff doesnt work and the phone stays on forever...

Its happened with nothing runnung in the bkngd, but it could be something in the today scrren.

I have a weather program and an rss prog that update themselves...

Any thoughts?

Yes, I've seen the case where it does not auto shutoff, this usually happens when I have bluetooth on.

sometime the screen will go of but the unit is still on. This is usually when on ac external power.

Seems to behave as expected when on battery.

Random turn-ons..

Howdy...

I am having the problem of Random Turn Ons...

No, I'm not talking about difficulty walking by 'Best Buy' when they have Bay Watch playing on 100 TV sets at once...

I mean that my 6601 will turn on for no apparent reason, and then sometimes turn off again, and sometime stay on.

This happens on batteries, but more often when cradled...

I have a MASSIVE amount of programs on this thing (hey! Why else did they give me 128MB?) and a couple of 'today' items that update when sync'd (Weatherbar, Egress), but they are set to sync ONLY when activesync is active, so I don't know if they are the culprit...

My question is really this: Is there any way to log what event turned on the device, so you can track down the offending culprit?

Thanks,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

Administrator
    this is most likely vision talking to the phone. nothing you can do to " log it".. you may be able to go into the system menu if you have the code and see whats going on but they may not tell you much either...

if you manually disconnect from vision this should stop.

Howdy...

Tried disconnecting from Vision... Same problem...

Any other thoughs?

B.
    Ben Freedman

Administrator
    are you sure it was disconnected form vision? you may stil have a program thats trying to dial out.

a simple solution... did it do this when you had zero programs on it? i think its a program though...

Howdy...

Well, the vision icon was completed gone (not dormant) and this still happened, plus vision didn't connect when the phone turned on, so that's why I don't think it's vision necessarily...

I suppose I could delete everything to see if it happens when the phone is blank, and then add 1 program at a time, but that would not be quite as 'simple' as solution, as it would take a long time.

That's why I was hoping someone here might have had this experience...

What I REALLY need is some sort of 'logging' program that will log all events and so I can see what event turned the phone on...

That would be sweet!

Regards,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

I have the same issue with my i700. Ever since I upgraded to WM2003 mine does this all the time. I have never been able to find a fix.

Same here as maximum. When you find something, let us know!
    Jeremiah 29:11

lol, i have the same problem with my old g

Administrator
    no logging program as far as i know.

the only true way is to full reset and go from there. by the time it takes for others to post here you could have figured itout and posetd your results.

even if vision is completely disconnected, programs can still wake up the phone.. especially if they are designed for use with the wim2003 always on OS...

Try shutting bluetooth off and see if it does it. Mine definitely correlates to bluetooth being on.

You maybe right on the Bluetooth thing.. Here's something funny..

With bluetooth on, the phone turns on whenever I insert my headphones (to listen to MP3s). Then I shut it off, and when I remove the headphones, again the phone turns on.

With bluetooth off, I can insert and remove my headphones all day long without the phone turning on...

Definately something to check out. I'll look into it over the wknd...

Smiles,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    Egress is what is activating vision. I have mine set to update every 8 hours, but it still uses vision more often than once every 8 hours.

Also, I just installed a free program called MortSaver which is like a safety net for random turn ons. I can't believe I used my G1000 for a year without it.

Definitely check it out.

RFK
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Phonelock is good in that it prevents any unwanted programs being turned on or info being changed/deleted. It doesn't solve the problem though. The device still wakes up by itself.

Before phonelock I would get contacts erased and all other issues if buttons got pressed or screen touched while in my pocket.

The problem is for sure bluetooth. I have had the phone for about 1.5 months now, and when bluetooth is turned on this happens. Almost exactly 3 seconds after turning the screen off. It is bluetooth searching for available devices and powering the screen up to show you output if it finds anything. This is considered normal for the phone and not a bug, at least by the Engeneers at Sprint.
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Except the i700 doesn't have BT. It's gotta be M$'s fault!
    Jeremiah 29:11

I know nothing about the i700, was just speaking to the PPC audience.
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Howdy...

Regarding the PPC6601, I agree that Bluetooth seems to have been the culprit, and not Egress or ADBWeather...

I have turned bluetooth off for the last few days, and have not had a random power on since then...

I guess I'll need to keep BT off unless I'm actually using it at the time. Probably good for battery life, too..

Regards,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

Screen turns on by itself

My xv6600woc turns on by itself when using Blue Tooth headset. How do I stop this from happening. Audiovox has not heard of the problem according to thier customer support ask a question web site.
    Last edited by dubuj; 03-29-2005 at 08:51 AM.