+ Reply to Thread

PPC-660x vs. the IPAQ h6315

Does anyone here have experience or good information on comparisons between the PPC-660x and the

IPAQ H6315:
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....%5Fid=MP965649

I know that this is a TMobile GSM phone that has 64 Meg of memory vs the 128 meg in the PPC-660x, and I believe the processor is a little slower. Does the fact that it is priced at $499 and includes built-in WiFi, along with Bluetooth and VGA camera make this another viable PPC option?

Is the slower processor and only 64 meg of memory the deal-killer for this phone?? I saw that TMobile has a plan for PPC devices that includes 600 minutes of voice and unlimited data for $59.99. This sounds comparable to Sprint plans with minutes and data.

Is the IPAQ 6315 a decent option, or am I insane for even thinking about it and should I wait for the PPC-6600 if I want a camera?

james

I've had both as many other have. and I think you will find most folks happier with the PPC-6601.

But you are comparing apples and oranges.

There is a bunch of things to consider:

1) What kind of phone coverage do you need? For me CDMA is a no brainer that it has way better coverage. Ask around from informed users.

2) Do you expect to use the phone outside the US. Then get a GSM phone.

3) There is a Wifi/GSM version of the PPC-6601 called the XDA-III (See other forum) that phone is what you should compare with to the HP. Unfortunitely it is not available from T-Mobile in the US yet.

4) The h6315 processor is REALLY slow. I'm new to PPC's and I found it really sluggish. Also it's really 64 Rom/64 Ram in hp and 96 Rom/128 Ram in the PPC-6601.

5) Battery life, you pay a price for fast processor. That price is battery life. HP has 2-3 times the battery life.

6) How fast a cellular data do you need. GSM is running about 40k average and CDMA (1xRTT ) is running about 80k (with peaks much faster). Also the PPC-6601 supports EVDO (which is yet 3x faster than 1xRTT). This is available now from Verizon and coming to sprint probably in a year. GSM supports higher speeds (called EDGE) but the HP does not support EDGE.

7) Wifi. Wifi is nice to have built in. I think we'd all like it. But a bunch of us want 1xRTT and future EVDO and willing to give up Wifi built in for it. WIfi does suck battery down on h6315. You can buy a SD WIFI card if not built in. But you lose storage memory and they stick out.

Although both phones have bugs. I think the hp has more bugs and almost always requires a soft reset when anything goes wrong.

9) T-Mobile plans are great. They are simple and fair. Sprint plans are a little more complex and have grey areas (like how much data can I transmit per month and can I hook to a laptop). There is no restriction from t-mobile.

Keep reading these forums to learn a lot.

Re: PPC-660x vs. the IPAQ h6315

Originally posted by James Keys
    Does anyone here have experience or good information on comparisons between the PPC-660x and the

IPAQ H6315:
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....%5Fid=MP965649

I know that this is a TMobile GSM phone that has 64 Meg of memory vs the 128 meg in the PPC-660x, and I believe the processor is a little slower. Does the fact that it is priced at $499 and includes built-in WiFi, along with Bluetooth and VGA camera make this another viable PPC option?

Is the slower processor and only 64 meg of memory the deal-killer for this phone?? I saw that TMobile has a plan for PPC devices that includes 600 minutes of voice and unlimited data for $59.99. This sounds comparable to Sprint plans with minutes and data.

Is the IPAQ 6315 a decent option, or am I insane for even thinking about it and should I wait for the PPC-6600 if I want a camera?

james
    There are a few things to consider between these devices.

GSM is important outside the US, but has limited coverage inside the US. It is growing in the US and coverage gets bette every day, but right now it's still spotty.

I don't think the 64MB RAM issue is too bad, but more is much better. I have 64 on my i700 today and generally get along very well. I do have to manage memory though, so I would certainly like more. I would not disregard any device simply due to 64MB though.

The processor on the HP is DOG SLOW. This alone would kill it for me. Many applications are being written with higher end PDA's in mind, and these will just be painful on the slow HP. The lower processor speed makes for good battery life, so that's in it's favor. I find that some apps are a bit too slow even on my i700, which is faster than the HP. For me, I would not even look at the HP due to this aspect. Too many new apps are assuming a faster processor, and while this will work... it'll be painful. I had the mispleasure to use this HP on a recent business trip and it was just plain slow. It was refreshing to be back with my i700 when I got home. I've also had the pleasure to use the 6600, and well... I'm still grinning just remembering it.