+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Turning Off Vision Connection

I've dug around in the manual and I can't find how to shut off my Vision connection once it has started. The only was I've found so far is to put the device in flight mode, which severs the connection.

Thanks in advance.

I dislike how the ppc6601 works in this way as well. (as I'd like to just severe it easily myself)

The reason answer is, either do as you're doing, or just make sure that you have no internet programs running.

If nothing is trying to get to the net, 3G will go dormant, and the vision connection will eventually disappear. You can get calls while 3G is dormant... you cannot when its active.

Byron

Administrator
    thats the "feature" of the wm2003 OS. it supports always on data connections. do as the previous poster mentioned. make sure youare not running any programs in the background that will need to dial out for data and you should be fine. the conection may wake up from time to time as the network sometimes needs to talk to the phone... but this wont make any difference in your bandwidth usage.

you are only chareged by how much data you move not by the connection....

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    you are only chareged by how much data you move not by the connection....
    Is this Sprint you are referring to? I have an unlimited internet plan for $15 through them (per month additional to the normal cell charges).

Administrator
    yes im referring to sprint...

of course if you have unlimited vision then you will not be charged anything extra.

i was only speaking in general terms..

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    Yes, while data is unlimited on vision plans, i find this 2003se feature to be annoying because it drains my battery. Luckily, I have an extra battery, but I hate the fact that my battery life is down to 20% after 4 hours (and one 10 minute phone call).
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Has anyone tried the "holding the red end button" for a few seconds to see if this ends the connection before it turns off the radio? Just wondering since I don't have one to try it on.
    Phone, Radio, and Fiber Geek

Yes, but it always takes voice down with it. It basically turns on flight mode.

I agree that the 6601's way of handling things isn't optimum. I don't know why HTC didn't include the option -- which I had on my venerable Treo 300 -- simply to "Disconnect" the data stream without turning the phone connection off. Perhaps there's a third-party utility that could step in.

What I do is to go to the connections tab and click to start a new data connection. When it prompts for the password, I click cancel.

That terminates the data link while leaving the phone active. Not the simplest, but functional.

Hugh? What connections tab? Only one I see is in Start->Settings And is does not allow a "new data connection" that I can see. What password prompt? The password in your network settings does nothing. As does your user name. Mine are all blank.

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about a non PPC-6601 phone because WM2003se has different options.

RFK
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Originally posted by sajman9
    What I do is to go to the connections tab and click to start a new data connection. When it prompts for the password, I click cancel.

That terminates the data link while leaving the phone active. Not the simplest, but functional.
    It is the PPC-6601. I'll be more specific.

Click Start> Settings> Connections> Connections>

I have defined a connection under My Work Network using Sprint Vision. I click on Manage Existing Connections, and tap and hold on an item, and choose Connect from the context menu. It has no user name or password to enter. Just trying to start the new connection terminates the old one.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sajman9; 11-30-2004 at 09:47 AM.

Man, that's awesome! I just tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks!

Even easier is to click on the signal icon. The bubble displays "Connectivity" and has 3 sections. First is Sprint PCS, second is The Internet and third is Settings. Click on settings. This takes you to another screen and you have 6 choices. Choose the first one.."add a new modem connection" Then when the next screen pops up, hit "cancel".

That's it....works great.
    Last edited by mboliver; 11-30-2004 at 01:22 PM.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

Administrator
    if you guys had spb pocket plus on yor system, you could set an icon for this and eliminate many steps...

Thanks for clearing that up.

I think I found even a shorter path.

Click on Antenna Icon -> Settings -> Manage Existing Connections -> Click Hold on the "Sprint Vision" -> Connect -> Wait a Sec as it disconnects -> Then Cancel.

It does not know it's connecting to the same connection that's already up.

if you guys had spb pocket plus on yor system, you could set an icon for this and eliminate many steps...
    I do....maybe I need to read the directions to this .....
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

Administrator
    yeah just go into the pocket plus settings and click on the icons you want to put on the desktop. if you have the latest 3.x version you can click on the color icon and get there. also you can make shortcuts to certain programs and their links can be set on your today screen. spb is a must!!!

Even shorter path if you have at least one other connection defined.

Click on the antennae icon. Your list of available connections is thus. Click on a connection your are not using. Then click cancel.

I will try SBP too.

yeah just go into the pocket plus settings and click on the icons you want to put on the desktop. if you have the latest 3.x version you can click on the color icon and get there. also you can make shortcuts to certain programs and their links can be set on your today screen. spb is a must!!!
    Version 3???!!!! Where do I find this? I only have 2.2

Come on Master....I am really ready to snatch the pebble from your hand