+ Reply to Thread
    Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar

Question SD Card Speeds - Are faster cards important?

Greetings all. Got my Sprint 6601 about two weeks ago and just love it. At first I thought the battery life was too short, but after several times of using it some, then charging it up at night I'm getting much more reasonable battery life.

Was thinking of getting a 1GB card from New Egg to save music and movies to, but hadn't made the plunge. And that's when I saw Fred Meyer had the Lexar 1GB cards on sale for $59.99 the day after Thanksgiving, and a $20 rebate on top of that making the card $39.99 (no tax while I was in Portland, OR for the holiday).

Now, I presume I got the "normal" card, not the faster 32x version with the lifetime warranty. Will that card be fast enough to watch movies and play music from? I'll find out which card I got tomorrow night, But it's SUCH a great deal I may keep it regardless and use it for games and other storage even if it isn't good enough for movies, etc.

If anyone can recommend which DVD to SD program they use, or where I might get some good freeware games like bowling... I'd sure appreciate the help.

Love the site and best wishes.

I'd be interested in hearing if there's a significant difference in performance as well.

As it happens, I posed this question a couple of days ago to Makyama Software -- makers of the popular DVD-to-Pocket PC software that lets you rip DVDs and compress tham onto an SD card for the PPC-6601. Their response to me was:

"No, doesn't make a difference, bitrates are well within limits for standard sd-card."

So you'd appear to be safe.

best...aa.

In my experience, it makes no different what the speed of your card is because the bottleneck is in the phone's card interface. It can only read so fast...

I get the same speeds with 1X, 4X, 32X... I can play video and MP3's with all of them. Copying files to a card that is inserted into the phone is equally slow with all the cards (painfully so...)

Faster cards are faster on desktop card readers, but my advice to you is DON'T SPEND EXTRA MONEY ON A FAST CARD! It's not worth it...

My 2 cents...

Regards,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar
    To both of those who commented, thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate you taking your time to share your experiences. Sounds like this $40 1GB unit is a great deal, so I'll go ahead and fill out the rebate info.

Now to simply figure out the best way to copy my music to the card, and to figure out what video can be played back. Windows Media Player 9 wouldn't play the MPG file I transferred to the unit yesterday, so I'm a little confused there.

Thanks again for the replies!

Try 'Betaplayer'

- Ben
    Ben Freedman

I would be interesting to see if faster sd cards make a difference. I'm getting another new SD camera and thinking of pairing it with a sandisk ultra II which is about 60X. It has a really amazing movie mode so i think i might need it. Extreme III is coming out soon also which doubles even that. I really wanna try it. Anyone know where to get Ultra IIs for cheap? I'll grab one a try it out

I think that in a digital camera, speed definately makes a difference. I've seen that in my digital camera. It's just that the SD interface on PDA (as I found on my old Treo 600, and on the 6601) just aren't speed demons. It's the interface, and not the card, that is slow.

Cameras have a much faster interface (as it's much more important to be able to show a couple of MB of data onto the card quickly so as to take another picture...)

Regards,

Ben
    Ben Freedman