+ Reply to Thread
    Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar

What videos will play in WMP9?

Got my new 1GB Lexar "standard" speed (not the 32x) SD card today. It was on sale at Fred Meyer on Friday for $40 after rebates and in-store discounts, and the music I copied to it plays fine.

But when I tried playing back an MPG video I copied to the memory card, WMP said it can't recognize the file type. And opening WMP and trying to play the file from IN WMP didn't change anything.

Do I need seperate software to watch movies on the PPC-6601? I thought WMP9 would do everything but Quicktime.

Forever Confused
    I encode mine in *.wmv. They are smaller than *.mpg, but you loose some quality. But really if you think about it, you're only watching on a 3.5" screen. It ain't never gonna replace a 65" wide screen. But there are other programs that will play *.mpg, and most are free. I just can't think of any right now.

Try "BetaPlayer"

Regards,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I downloaded SmartMovie 2.42 the other day but have yet to install it. Does it convert MPG to WMV? If so, I'm happy to give that a try. I do realize that I don't need 1080i quality for playback on my PPC, so converting the files is fine. Just looking for something watchable and decend sound.

Really appreciate the replies. Have a great night!
    Cingular 8525 with Black 3.0.1 ROM (WM6)
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's