+ Reply to Thread
    Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar

Connecting to the PPC-6601 with Bluetooth

Greetings all. I have had my 6601 for about two weeks now and just love it. I decided to get a few games for the device, copied some WMA songs to it, and have a couple custom ring tones that are pretty sweet (wav format).

Now, I'd like an easier way to copy music from my primary PC to my 6601, but I'm not having much luck. I have bluetooth set up correctly to allow me to "activesync" my Pocket PC and my computer. And I can even surf the web on the PPC when this connection is active.

However, I can't seem to create an "active network connection" that will simply allow me to copy and paste files onto the PPC. Instead, I have to use the "Bluetooth File Transfer" program. And that requires making folders to move files to before you go to transfer them, changing the root directory so files go to the right place, and I can only copy one file at once.

Aren't there any utilities that will let me "network" my Pocket PC and my computer... making file transfers to the SD card fast and easy?

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar

Re: Connecting to the PPC-6601 with Bluetooth

Originally posted by merkman
    Greetings all. I have had my 6601 for about two weeks now and just love it. I decided to get a few games for the device, copied some WMA songs to it, and have a couple custom ring tones that are pretty sweet (wav format).

Now, I'd like an easier way to copy music from my primary PC to my 6601, but I'm not having much luck. I have bluetooth set up correctly to allow me to "activesync" my Pocket PC and my computer. And I can even surf the web on the PPC when this connection is active.

However, I can't seem to create an "active network connection" that will simply allow me to copy and paste files onto the PPC. Instead, I have to use the "Bluetooth File Transfer" program. And that requires making folders to move files to before you go to transfer them, changing the root directory so files go to the right place, and I can only copy one file at once.

Aren't there any utilities that will let me "network" my Pocket PC and my computer... making file transfers to the SD card fast and easy?
    Which version of Windows Media Player are you using? Version 10 has some provisions for built in syncing of songs to PPC.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

I'd recommend using an SD card reader for what you are trying to do - it is much faster and easier to transfer your music files and other files to SD cards via the card reader than via ActiveSync. Bluetooth has its limitations.
    John

Administrator
    agreed. use a card reader....

You should see a "mobile device" in File Browser (My Computer) that you can browse to the Storage Card and drag and drop files there. Yes, this is slow.

It appears when ActiveSync is up it runs a "Personal Network". I could not get "Personal Network" profile to work either on it's own (with out using the ActiveSync profile).

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar
    Kreigz - My 6601 came with WMP 9 pre-installed. I was expecting to see WMP 10, since I thought I'd read Windows Mobile 2003 had it, but I guess mine doesn't. Is it possible to upgrade to WMP 10?

jpm & marc - Understood. I have a 8-in-1 card reader I got from CompUSA for $15 during a sale. I'll pull that out of whatever drawer it's in and just give that a try soon. Do you have to create playlists for all your music in WMP 9? Would be nice if albums and artists were sorted correctly on the PPC like they are on my WinXP MCE box.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!!!

Originally posted by merkman
    Do you have to create playlists for all your music in WMP 9? Would be nice if albums and artists were sorted correctly on the PPC like they are on my WinXP MCE box.
    The PPC WMP will automatically find all of your media files and create the playlist for you, even on your storage cards.
    John