+ Reply to Thread

PCS Vision Cost Question - Windows PPC

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for a while, and am trying to find out how much unlimited vision will cost me for this device.

Sprint's site says $15 a month (add on to any voice plan) for the vision PRO pack which includes unlimited vision and corporate email access through BC. It also says Pocket PC devices will be charged an additional $15 per month for a total of $30 per month.

Why is that? My boss has a Treo 600, and he only pays the $15, and the Treo can browse the internet just as much as the 6601 can. Why do Windows versions have to pay more? I thought I saw a post that you don't have to pay the extra $15, but is that true?

Can someone with experience comment please? I am a NEW Sprint customer by the way, so it would be a new plan sign up.

Thanks in advance!

Rob
    Last edited by PCROB; 11-29-2004 at 06:15 PM.

I don't know about that. I am paying 10.00 per month because of being grandfathered in on the old plan. They have not increased my rate to 15 or tried to add a MS usage fee.

I would call them and attempt to open an account and see where this leads you. You can always decide to say no before the end of the phone call.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

Here is the deal.

technically you are supposed to pay an extra $15 ($30 total) for ppc devices. Reason being that the ppc has an ability to use more bandwidth. Proably true, technically. (although lots of streaming shoutcast at 96k on a 650 might challenge that)

Many people have been successful in doing ESN swaps to a ppc device without paying the extra charges. So many in fact that it is reccomended around various sites that if the csr is going to stick you with the extra $15, call back and talk to another one.

It is a crap shoot, but your odds are pretty good.

-rob

Administrator
    that is true. its a luxury tax so to speak... they are bascially trying to recoup the R and D that spent into vision...

just get a vision phone cheap with unlimited vision. then when you get the 660x just upgrade. they should let you slide without the extra "tax"...

If you don't use the buisiness connection, or need to send pictures directly to a another sprint phone you can try asking for the $10.00 Vision plan. Ask when your in the middle of a probelm, they are more sympathetic Basically raw internet which is capable of http, https, nntp, smtp, pop3 and ipsec (vpn).

P.S. I see a lot people have been saying Sprint customer service stinks. Well I've probably dealt with about 8 of them the last 3 weeks and they were all, polite, knew their stuff or knew when they were over their heads and transferred me, never waited more than 5 minutes and never got disconnected.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the luxury tax sucks, but I got my company to pay for the $30 a month so I guess I will just deal with it if they charge me.

I am going to order the 6601 and a plan today.

Thanks again!

Rob

May I ask how you do an ESN swap?
    Is that something you can do if you are past the 18-month time period and eligible for the $150 credit? If so, how?

I think they are suggesting to buy a cheap vision phone with an ESN number. Then go buy a PDA phone and call them up saying, hey I got this new phone. They don't have to know it's a PDA phone. They just need the ESN numebr from the new phone. The only problem with this is you pay top dollar for the phone and it will take 2 years to pay for itself in savings.