+ Reply to Thread

Using the phones features for fun

I was just wondering if there are any people out there who use the phone more for fun/personal reasons rather than work related reasons. I am interested in getting this phone, but I only need it to use internet capabilities for my amusement. Anyone pay 630 bucks for a toy?

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    Hi.

I use my PPC-6601 solely for my personal entertainment. Whether its checking NFL scores, watching a "Hero" dvd rip or remoting to my home computer via VNC to chat with hot asian sluts via yahoo instant messenger, I try to avoid all the work-related functions of this phone.

It's probably the coolest toy I've ever had.
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Funniest post ever.
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

I do no work on this device. I am struggling with whether to keep it or not because it's a lot to spend on a toy. Especially a toy I use (connected) so seldom.

I now have the G1000 but definitely want the 6600. I do not use the phone for work whatsoever. Net, games, etc., no work, just fun!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

I use mine for work and fun, well for work because I am the administrator for a magazine company ( ICL) and do use terminal services (remote desktop for those who don’t know) if the DHCP goes down or if the DNS did not start i can log in the the server and fix some stuff and for Email of course. As for fun, it does not end lol. You always need a good TV remote control program. If you’re in a restaurant and the TV is too loud or too low, also if you lose you’re remote it’s always good to have another one lol, Or to play jokes on people. Also you always need the cram sutra, always get good laugh with the guys. The obvious games, movies, music, weather updates. Also of course a great tool for hacking Wi-fi(card needed). Hacking is a good one. There are really good packet sniffers out there( hacking your own computer of coures ha ha). I mean what else can I say???? i have the G1000 now and my 6601 is on its way. i cant wait.
    Last edited by minilog118; 11-30-2004 at 11:23 AM.

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar
    I got the 6601 because my Kyocera 6035 died. Until then, I couldn't justify replacing it. It had great battery life, allowed me to store all my contacts, my schedule, and would sync with the PC so my information was "backed up".

When it died, I realized a newer, more expensive option was required. And there aren't THAT many Palm / PPC phones to choose from. I knew that most PPC phones don't have very good battery life compared to Palm phones, so I WASN'T gonna get the 6601.

But, looking at the alternatives, I wasn't happy with the small keyboard of the Treo 600 / 650, and it doesn't appear you have alternate forms of input with that phone. Where on the 6601 I can use the on-screen keyboard, character recognition (like on a palm), and I even discovered the 6601 "pull out" keyboard to be easy to use thanks to the "bubbles" over the keys... despite my large hands.

While the battery life did concern me at first, I believe it has gotten much better after several charges... even though I didn't "drain" the battery before recharging. I can now surf the web, make phone calls, play some music, and rarely get below 50% power before the end of the day.

Some things I'd still like to try...

1) "Tethering" to my 12" Powerbook. I've never broken down and paid for Hotspot service, so a lot of the time I leave my notebook at home when I go out. And while the 6601 can do most of my "basic" web surfing, I do find occasional problems with cookies, etc. Being able to use the 6601 to create an Internet connection for my Powerbook would be neat, but so far I haven't figured out how to do it on my own.

2) Convert movies - I've got a 1GB SD memory card now, but have no idea how to convert a DVD to a watchable Pocket PC format. Mr. Kid, can you point me to a post that shows me what I need, and discusses how this is done? I'm a total newbie about such things, and could use some help. Smartmovie Converter doesn't seem to be an easy solution, and doesn't seem to support DVD's anyway.

3) Do ringers NEED to be in WAV format? That's the only way I've been able to make them work with my phone. I tried a couple different directories, and WMA files weren't recognized.

Probably some other great features about this phone I'm missing, but I'm a computer professional that got it for personal use, not professional requirements. I'm not expecting to manage a network from the PPC, but it's interesting to think I could.

Forgive me if I've written too much in your thread disimilar. I don't mean to take it over. And best wishes to all.
    Cingular 8525 with Black 3.0.1 ROM (WM6)
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's

Half and Half. I am a software lead and get called into the lab a lot. Staying connected with AIM, all day for the next problem is great. I'm not chained to my desk as much.

Also I goto a lot of meetings that does not need 100% attention for the whole meeting. I may be able to solve a problem or two during the meeting.

I can't pop my Internet mail at work due to fire wall, now I can.

I can't access news groups at work due to fire wall, now I can.

I love voice command. My old phone I only had patients to put in critical phone numbers and train them. Now everthing is in the phone and I can reach everyone through voice command.

I had a Palm Vx and TDMA phone before this. Looking stuff up via Voice command in contacts is way faster than scrolling.

It's definitely fun to use too.

I may try the the movie thing just for grins, but I don't see myself ever watching a whole movie on it. I save my movies for quality entertainment time by watching on a fairly expensive Home Theater setup.

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    Originally posted by merkman

1) "Tethering" to my 12" Powerbook. I've never broken down and paid for Hotspot service, so a lot of the time I leave my notebook at home when I go out. And while the 6601 can do most of my "basic" web surfing, I do find occasional problems with cookies, etc. Being able to use the 6601 to create an Internet connection for my Powerbook would be neat, but so far I haven't figured out how to do it on my own.

2) Convert movies - I've got a 1GB SD memory card now, but have no idea how to convert a DVD to a watchable Pocket PC format. Mr. Kid, can you point me to a post that shows me what I need, and discusses how this is done? I'm a total newbie about such things, and could use some help. Smartmovie Converter doesn't seem to be an easy solution, and doesn't seem to support DVD's anyway.

3) Do ringers NEED to be in WAV format? That's the only way I've been able to make them work with my phone. I tried a couple different directories, and WMA files weren't recognized.

Probably some other great features about this phone I'm missing, but I'm a computer professional that got it for personal use, not professional requirements. I'm not expecting to manage a network from the PPC, but it's interesting to think I could.

Forgive me if I've written too much in your thread disimilar. I don't mean to take it over. And best wishes to all.
    Hi. Welcome.

1) I don't think its possible to tether to a mac. I have heard that people have had a hard time even syncing with their macs.

2) PocketDVD Studio. Great program. One step DVD to PPC-friendly .avi rips. Well worth the $30.

3) Yes, WAVs only. Use a program like Poikosoft's Easy Audio File Converter to change between formats.

Hope this helps.

RFK
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Hell, I've payed 2 grand for a toy (Fujitsu P7010D)...

Right now, I have an iPaq 5555 and a Moto v710. Both are used for work and play, so essentially, I'll be looking to:

- Access Internet using WiFi and NA/BBA
    - Listen to MP3s
    - Review Excel and Word documents during meeetings
    - Store contact information
    - Maybe some games (probably not...that's what the Nintendo DS is for)
    - BT GPS applications...I go nowhere without my maps, Delorme, and the Socket BT GPS unit.
    - Quick notes
    - Whatever else comes about.

It would be nice if I there is a way to use it for faxes. My v710 has been a lifesaver when paired with a laptop running WinFax. The only bad thing is I can recieve, but not send when using a BT connection.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Originally posted by merkman
    I got the 6601 because my Kyocera 6035 died.

I loved my Kyocera 6035! It has been several years since I have used it, but it still sits up in its cradle on a shelf in my office. Couldn't stand to part with it!

I am using a couple of WMAs as ringers. I droped them in the \Windows\Rings directory on my device (XV6600). The WMAs I used have a 64 kbps bit rate, 16 bit sample size, stereo, 44 kHz sample rate.