+ Reply to Thread

Networking the 6601 with cat5 cable?

Is it possible to network the phone to a hub or computer via cat5 cable somehow? Reason I ask is my tivo has a cat5 output and I would be able to d/l movies direct to the phone.

I assume there are SD Lan cards. If not get a Wifi SD card and a Wifi Router. Chances are it would be hard to create an "ad hoc" point to point connection with the Tivo any way. Also you need to find out what comes out of the Cat5 on the Tivo. Is it a web server, UDP, or what?

Administrator
    yeah the data from the port may not be compatible... the wifi option sounds easier...

Unhappy TiVo to PPC LAN

I would not expect a direct PPC to TiVo solution to happen any time soon.

First, the files on the TiVo would be WAY to big for the PPC.

Second, the TiVo files are encrypted to only play on the TiVo they were created on. They can be transfered to another TiVo in your household but you need to set this up with the TiVo website which must authorize the other TiVo to play them.

Third, You may be able to Hack the TiVo to directly access the files but you would need extensive knowlege of linux (and some time on your hands)

TiVo is supposed to come out with "TiVo2Go" which will allow you to transfer files to your PC. When this happens, you may be able to Hack a way to recompress the files to be small enough and compatible for PPC.

Good Luck...Brad

This would absolutely be a waste of time, as mentioned above the file sizes are huge, not to mention I don't even think you'd be able to get it to connect to the TiVo in the first place! Sorry man!
    Tom

Hey it was a cool thought though huh?

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    Yes.

If by "cool" you mean, "never gonna happen".

Just kidding man, I'd love to watch some tv on my pda.
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

I was at the Sprint store today playing with the new phone with the video streaming (Sprint TV or something). I must say I was pretty envious, I can't wait for EVDO so I can really stream some video to this baby! Probably set up a TV tuner and build some custom stuff to change channels and everything SWEET!
    T.

Sickwidit
    No need to wait for EvDO to do that, I've been doing that for years. Here's a little write-up on how it could be done.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Nice...BUT you need to buy snapstream to do it, correct?
    Tom

Sickwidit
    Correct but you can also do almost the same thing with windows media encoder. You may loose channel control but it can be done on the cheap.
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Good info in any case, and once EVDO comes to pass, the quality will improve SIGNIFICANTLY!
    Tom

Sickwidit
    Yeah I can't wait, no more using a low bitrate just to stream across 1X
    My Devices

I sent you a PM kid, but I'll post here as well. I have a question maybe you have the resources to get the answer to regarding Terminal Services Client on PocketPC 2003. On PPC 2002 you could change the TS client port by adding an entry in the registry. It doesn't appear that you can do that with 2003, you can add the entry but it doesn't change the port. Any ideas on how to modify the client port on PPC2003 for Terminal Services Client?
    Tom

Sickwidit
    With windows mobile 2003 I don't think it can be changed but I'll check and post back. I remember reading a post about a tweak program and I think it allowed you to change the port. I'll see that I can find out today and get back to you.
    My Devices

I MADE THE TWEAK PROGRAM (unless there is one for WM2003 I don't know about). All it does is add/modify the value in the registry, but it only works for PPC2002 devices, it seems that the new PPC 2003 doesn't recognize the registry entry. I have NO idea why MS would remove this capability when they made it so easy to do it in the Remote Desktop client in XP. Either way please research and let me know...
    Tom