+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone dissatisfied with sturdiness of slide mechanism?

When I first got the PPC the slide mechanism was very tight and I thought it would last forever. I have had it for about 3 weeks and now find the sliding mechanism very loose, and when closed there is a small gap that I can pull apart, probably a good 1/8" thick. Is it only me, or anyone else? Should I expect this, is this normal?

I barely ever use the slide, I am one of the few who think the keyboard is a complete waste, so I have slid it open maybe a dozen times in 3 weeks!

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    Why bother having the PPC-6601 then?
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Because it's still a great phone/PDA with out QWERTY.

I agree, it's a complete waste. But I know there are folks that love the keyboard.

I taped mine shut to give it a sturdy solid feel

I can type faster with 1 stylus than 2 thumbs.

Administrator
    as i said in another thread, you are wasitng money if you think thew keyboard is a waste. thats a feature of this phone.. one you paid a pretty good price for...

shuld have just gotten an i7 OR the HP.... my opinion of course...

HP is GSM only. I had one and I returned it. This phone is way better.
    I700 not offered by Sprint who has one of the cheapest Data Plans.

Like someone said in another thread.

2003SE
    128 + 96 Memory
    400Mhz
    EVDO (not available now for me but some day I hope to)
    More buttons to map.

It is one of the best phones without the keyboard or the bluetooth !!! And I hope bluetooth will get fixed and is stable for syncing.

Administrator
    no doubt it is the best.... you are preaching to the choir!

um ok, so is anyone gonn answer his question about the loose keyboard?
    Sprint Mogul (PPC-6800) - dcd 3.0.1 ..... 3.35.04 ..... OliPro 2.40 ..... 60610 PRL
    Sprint PPC-6600 - 2.07.00 WWE ..... HA00_166 (spare phone laying around)
    Sprint PPC-6600 - 2.04.00 WWE ..... HA00_140 ..... 1.36.113 WWE (used for GPS only)

I thought it was just mine. Yeah, the slide has become a bit loosey goosey.

With the loose slider, does it open on it's own or is there a good locking mechanism? I personally wish it didn't have the keyboard, but the other features are nice. (I can write faster with the stylus than on the keyboard). I'm ok if there is a little gap, but as long as it stays closed and out of the way, no issue. Does it flop open easily? Duct tape is not a good solution.

I put a small piece of clear tape on the lower right side. You can't see it unless you went looking for it. Mine is still tight and I want to keep it that way. It does have a detent but I don't know how it hold up if things get lose.

I'm not real crazy about spending all that money so the keyboard will come loose. I have had that concern since I first saw pictures of this phone. Why can't someone make a Treo size phone in PPC? Why spend all that money if you're going to tape up the keyboard and not use it?

I find any keyboard narrower than a blackberry completely useless. So I use my stylus on the screen which is the next best thing. In my opinion I wish (like some others) that they did not put the keyboard on this phone. It's more gimmick than useful. With a real screen and treo (or Blackberry size) keyboard the unit would be way to big to slip in my shirt pocket.

I agree this keyboard will not last if you make heavy use of it.

Thanks just my opinion.

Administrator
    theres always one more opinion....

Wil
    I still have not seen the 6601 but read someplace that a large part of the screen itself can be used as a touchpad keyboard. Does that work with fingers when a stylus isn't used and if so, how easy is it type on, compared to the slide out mechanical keyboard?

OK first of all to the ones who say I am wasting my money on the 6601 if I dont prefer/like the keyboard, the 6601 without the keyboard is a phenomenal piece of hardware, and with it is nice for whoever prefers it. Personally I would rather have not had it and saved some thickness. But I still absolutely love it, so dont see why it would be a waste.

In regards to the slider, it does stay closed, but just feels "loose", kind of irks me when spending this kind of money. I am assuming it is just the way it is, and will keep my eye on it during my one year warranty period.
    iPhone 3GS !!

The keyboard pops up when the cursor is in an entry field. It takes up over a third of the screen. You can change an option of the screen to large or small buttons. The large setting is large enough for me to type with my fingers, but not as efficiently as the slide keyboard. I use the pop up screen keyboard primarily when I'm in landscape mode on internet explorer, and I want to type something without the hassle of changing screen orientation and sliding out the keyboard. I rarely use the stylus for anything but soft resets.
    E46fanatic

You are wasting your money on this unit if you don't use the stylus.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Originally posted by mswlogo
    You are wasting your money on this unit if you don't use the stylus.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    lol... I use the end of the stylus to pick my earwax. Does that count?

btw, I use my keyboard a alot, and have had it for 2 weeks, but the keyboard still feels snug (so far.)
    E46fanatic

I'm with SpineDoc, I too think this is a great device... even with the keyboard. I would prefer the keyboard not be there, as it offers me little. I can write faster with the handwriting recognition engine(s) that are available. The thumb keyboard is slow and adds thickness to the unit, I'd rather have a solid no keyboard unit myself. I understand that for lots of people, they like the keyboard, that's fine. Most of my friends who have migrated to using the PocketPC's at first seem phobic about using the handwriting services built in, as if it will never work for them. Many look to the thumb keyboard to save them from this, but the built in handwriting recognition engine(s) really are very good. For those who are just looking for the keyboard, TRY THEM. If they don't work for you, then go to the keyboard and slowly peck away. (Written on an i700 using handwriting recognition only).

Wil
    Originally posted by vandoc
    I use the pop up screen keyboard primarily when I'm in landscape mode
    Is the pop up keyboard from landscape mode w-i-d-e-r than the slide out mechanical keyboard, since it's in portrait mode?
    Originally posted by mswlogo
    I find any keyboard narrower than a blackberry completely useless.
    Is the keyboard options on the PPC really that much narrower than what's on the blackberry?