+ Reply to Thread

Success connecting with movian VPN Client

FYI: I have finally been able to establish a stable VPN connection using the Movian IPSEC client to a Cisco 3000 series concentrator. I haven't tried other configurations with Movian, but so far this is the only way I've been able to establish and keep a connection. Using PPTP would instantly disconnect after establishing a connection.

Setup of the client was pretty easy but the main program didn't show up in the programs menu on install. I had to manually create a shortcut there. If anyone else needs help with this type of config, let me know and I'll try and lend a hand.
    Last edited by 6601rdm; 12-06-2004 at 12:09 PM.

I was also able to connect through the firewall with Movian. Once in, my PPC6601 activesynced remotely and in real time. Almost as good as push.

Not me, I still can't connect to my work that uses Nortel Contivty Box. Any idea how to contact someone that can support Movian. I bought it from the new place that is distributing butI get nothing in reply by email.

using phone as Internet connectionfor Tablet or laptop

Have you figuredbout how to get your Tablet or Laptop to connect to the Internet using the phone?

I have the Bluetooth part working fine, however, I still cannot connect to the Internet - Thoughts? suggestions?

Originally posted by 6601rdm
    FYI: I have finally been able to establish a stable VPN connection using the Movian IPSEC client to a Cisco 3000 series concentrator. I haven't tried other configurations with Movian, but so far this is the only way I've been able to establish and keep a connection. Using PPTP would instantly disconnect after establishing a connection.

Setup of the client was pretty easy but the main program didn't show up in the programs menu on install. I had to manually create a shortcut there. If anyone else needs help with this type of config, let me know and I'll try and lend a hand.

Originally posted by sajman9
    I was also able to connect through the firewall with Movian. Once in, my PPC6601 activesynced remotely and in real time. Almost as good as push.
    My IT shop provided the settings (which are also based on Nortel). Is your company connection 1PSEC or PTPP?

Don't know if it will help others, but I got VPN to work for my place of work, only after disabling compression in the VPN setup dialog. (Its under advanced).

So.. basically setup VPN under 'my work network', and disabled software compression under advanced.

*shrug* May work for others.. good luck though.

btf

Another lesson learned from my Movian experience:

I could not get Movian connected with the standard data connection that comes predefined on the phone. I had to create another data connection (which I did under my work network), and use the Movian Options to define my work network as the connection type.

It is exactly the same info as the standard data connection. Go figure.

That's good to know. I'll give it try. Do you use ipsec? How many bit encryption. My work is set to 56bit only and it appears movian only supplied files that say 96bit. I'm not sure if that means up to 96bit or only 96bit.

I do use IPSec. I can't disclose anything else about our VPN.

Hey mswlogo, what happens when you attempt to connect?

Here's what I ended up doing and what currently happens when I connect:

First, I went into the adapter settings and changed the "When a program needs a private connection, connect to: Sprint" instead of Work (since I want to use the independent client). Now both my connect to the Internet and connect to private settings are Sprint. Now going into the network conections applet shows one set of connections, Sprint, and the VPN option is there. I removed any VPN connections under that setup.

Then I set up a new profile in Movian for the Cisco concentrator using our global group name and password. Then when I ask Movian to connect, it redials the Sprint #777 and asks for user pass. I enter in my vision user/pass there with no domain. (I think I could get it to use the existing connection but haven't worked at that too hard yet.)

Finally, once that authenticates it prompts me for my personal vpn login which I enter (user, pass, no domain) and after a few seconds of negotiating, violia I'm connected.

Movian VPN

Hi 6601rdm,
    I have been trying to get the Movian VPN client to connect to my Cisco 3005 VPN concentrator but haven't had any luck. It connects but then drops the connection a few seconds later. I am wondering if you can tell me how you made it work?

We currently require a group authentication and then a user authentication.

Thanks for your help!