+ Reply to Thread

vx6600 corporate email access

Anyone been able to access corporate email (on Lotus Notes) using their vx6600? I want to ditch my blackberry and get this device.

Thanks

Not on Lotus Notes but the Wireless sync works great in Oulook on Exchange Server!
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

PocketPC and Blackberry

I have a Blackberry 7750 with an Exchnage Server account. I get the mail on the BB through the server.

I was wondering if I can also use Wireless Synch with the Pocket PC and synch both devices?

The Exchange Server Tech said I can only have one on their service - either the BB Servcer or the Wireless sync.

I think that I can leave the BB server setup and then use the Verizon Wireless Sync software on my desktop and then both should sync.

this way, I can have best of both workds.

Any comments?

thanks,

Mike

XV6600 vs. Blackberry 7750

I need to be able to send / receive email from the road, and my work is going to purchase me a blackberry or a XV6600. A couple of people have blackberries in the office, but we don't have the blackberry server software. So my question is, without the server software, am I going to get similar email functionality from the two devices? Anyone use both of these devices and willing to give me a quick rundown of benifits / tradeoffs of using one over the other.

Administrator
    oil and water...
    ppc OS vs. PIM....

you can get email safely and securely with both devices.

if you dont need the power of a desktop on your mobile phone, then get the blackberry. if you are a suit and not an IT guy just go with the BB...

I recently picked up a blackberry to try. Similiar set up company paying for it, need email and such on the road.

I took the blackberry back, the two main reasons being:. Verizon had disabled the web browser and the dial interface seemed cumbersome to me.

I like pocket pc and when I found out the 6600 was coming decided to wait, impatiently.

Wireless Sync 2.0 working with the PC monitor works like desktop redirector on BB. The important things to know about PC monitor is that it pretty much has to be running 24x7, and you HAVE to have a exchange back end.

Me, I'd go for the XV6600 over the blackberry (unless the BB is being connected to a BES)
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

If you're running Exchange Server 2003 at work, then an xv6600 will get the same pushed email I get on my i700. Wireless Sync is only for those that don't have Exchange 2003 or Mobile Information Server over Exchange 2000.

My i700 gets a special SMS message that it suppresses from my view, opens a data connection, shags the mail, and bee-bloops me that I have new mail. Any WM2003 Phone Edition device can do this with any Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1 system once the mail admins enable your account for Server-ActiveSync. In our case, it does it over an encrypted SSL connection.

An xv6600 will be able to do exactly the same thing. Just follow the directions carefully, you have to do your first Server-ActiveSync while docked.
    -s

Note that this solution will run your SMS bill pretty high with all those msgs.

If you can VPN to your desktop, you can do activesync over VPN, also
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

SMS is usually around $5 for my 30-40 emails a day.

On that note, the unlimited data plan is pretty much a given. You'd likely burn past the KB rate and the flat MB packages pretty quick. The jury's still out on minutes of usage and whether it is available to new activations. I ran into some conflict in customer service just getting it grandfathered on an ESN change for my wife's warranty replacement i700.
    -s

Thanks for the input. My 6600 should be here today or tomorrow and now need to decide if I want to use that over the BB7750. The nonstop email and keyboard typing is great on the BB. If I get the same email functions, then I might make the complete switch. I was hoping to sync both, but the server techs say you can do only one or the other with the Exchange server. I am using Mailstreet.com shared exchange server hosting.

thanks

Mike

Well - if you're connecting to your exchange server via VPN or RPC over HTTP, Wireless Sync probably won't work (and isn't supported).

OTOH, there are other options, as sleeve pointed out, to talk to an exchange server.