+ Reply to Thread

Pocket PC Phone Email

I was a long time user of the PPC and had a I700 before I switched over the the Blackberry 7750. The email is great on the BB, but I miss the PPC.

I just ordered the VX6600 with a second line so I can use both.

The BB synching with the exchange server is awesome.

My question is, how is does the PPC sync with a exchange server? And how does it work with just the POP mail? On the BB, the excahnge server is immediate, sometimes I get it on the BB before Outlook. Is there a lag? Is it every 15 minutes?

Also, I read about this dormant mode, doe the PPC have to dial in to check the mail or sync? Or does it just come across like the BB.

thanks for the help. I am hoping the the VX6600 will be a replacement to my BB now that it has the keyboard, the I700 was to much to peck it in.

thanks,

Mike

Push only works with Exchange Server 2003 or Mobile Information Server with Exchange 2000. The Exchange admins also have to tweak a setting or two to give you permission to sync remotely. I'm relating my experience from my i700 post-2003 upgrade.

Once you do a little setup work, the Exchange Server will send a special SMS message to the phone. It will then go sync, even if it has to open a data connection, even if it's not dormant. During this time, calls will go direct to voice mail. You will tick up text messages at two cents a pop for each of these SMS notifications. You'll never actually see the SMS message, it gets deleted. You'll know that you're synching because instead of two horizontal arrows over the signal bars, you get a circling arrows animation. You won't be able to make a call until the synch finishes or you force the connection closed by clicking the end call button twice. Also, if you read any of the mail, you don't even need to reply or delete it, your phone will push back read/unread status immediately if a dormant connection was left open. It won't open a new connection to send back read/unread. This can be a little frustrating because sometimes I'll want to make a call but see that I have email. I'll read the mail, then want to make a call. I won't be able to get a connection because a full data connection is open updating my read/unread status. It's a fun quirk, but the first few times it makes you think your phone is flake-ola.
    -s

thanks for the info. I get over 100 emails a day and am a big phone user as well.

Sounds a little like the BB. if on a call, it will not download messages, but downloading ,essages never prevent you from making a call.

One thing I liked aboiut BB is that you can set it to not mark the message read on the server even if you read it on the BB. This way, when I get back to my computer, I know what messages came in and can easily decide if I need to do something with the message.

Can you use the desktop redirector with the exchange server to just forward messages to the device rather them having to do something on the server side?

thanks

Mike