+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Verizon Early Adopters - XV6600 Talk to us!!

O.K. some of you have to have this device in hand now. Those of us from the dark side (SPCS) need to know if you guys have the "beep of death" problem on some of your calls.

The Dreaded Sound Thread...

We have it in what seems to be limited numbers of units, though it is very hard to define as its random in nature.

Allegedly, SPCS and AudioVox are aware and working on a solution, however, the SPCS bleeding edge is concerned with the T650 which has it's problem right now. A few PPC diehards are hanging on over here with the PPC-6601.

Mass desertions of SPCS are possible if your device DOES NOT have this problem.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth

Have had my XV6600 since noon Monday (12/6) and have not heard any beep during a phone call like reported with the Sprint devices. I have talked about 8 hours total so far using the phone. About half of that using a bluetooth headset (HS820).

Originally posted by baysailor
    Have had my XV6600 since noon Monday (12/6) and have not heard any beep during a phone call like reported with the Sprint devices. I have talked about 8 hours total so far using the phone. About half of that using a bluetooth headset (HS820).
    Thanks Baysailor. I will continue to follow this and other Verizon threads as it appears from what I have read that you guys may have escaped the "beep of death". I may join you very soon if SPCS doesn't fix this issue pronto.

Bob Duckworth

I have had the phone about 2 days now, logged about 8 hours on it talking so far and no beep-of-death.

6600 CRADLE

Of all the reviews I have read I have not heard or read anything on the cradle of this verizon 6600. It has a microphone and what seems to be a speaker in the back. Does the cradle work as a mic and speaker phone once the 6600 is docked? Also, this 6600 is so nice, the pictures I have seen make it look bulky but it's NOT!

Appreciate any responses regarding the cradle. Thx

Not on the SPCS version. It appear to have a mic port on the front, but the back is simply ventilation for the electronics I believe.

Back to the Verizon adopters and "Beep of Death".. Any more info guys??

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Re: Verizon Early Adopters - XV6600 Talk to us!!

Hey Baysailer. Can you please review the xv6600. I've been desperately trying to find a reason to wait for the Verizon version, and not just switch to cingular to get the sx66 on the 15th. A review would really help me evaluate the pros and cons. Thanks.

Originally posted by rduckwor1
    O.K. some of you have to have this device in hand now. Those of us from the dark side (SPCS) need to know if you guys have the "beep of death" problem on some of your calls.

The Dreaded Sound Thread...

We have it in what seems to be limited numbers of units, though it is very hard to define as its random in nature.

Allegedly, SPCS and AudioVox are aware and working on a solution, however, the SPCS bleeding edge is concerned with the T650 which has it's problem right now. A few PPC diehards are hanging on over here with the PPC-6601.

Mass desertions of SPCS are possible if your device DOES NOT have this problem.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Noci corrundum illegitimus

Re: Re: Verizon Early Adopters - XV6600 Talk to us!!

Originally posted by doctajay
    Hey Baysailer. Can you please review the xv6600. I've been desperately trying to find a reason to wait for the Verizon version, and not just switch to cingular to get the sx66 on the 15th. A review would really help me evaluate the pros and cons. Thanks.
    I did a short write up in this thread:
    Can get you a 6600 on Verizon Today!

I've tested both in Atlanta and bought the Verizon.

Very few physical differences. The SPCS device is silver; the VZW is champagne. The VZW case is just a leatherette slip in with no clip; the SPCS case is a nice horizontal ballistic nylon w/ snap closure and belt clip.

Holding down the end call button on the SPCS turns on flight mode (no radio activity); on VZW it stops a data session but leaves the phone radio on. The tab key on the slide out keyboard moves through more fields on VZW than on SPCS. The home screen for PIE has more options on SPCS. If you are entitled to a corporate discount with either carrier, the discount was much bigger for me w/ VZW.

BIG deal is EVDO is live in Atlanta. Easily double SPCS 1xRTT speed and usually triple. No beep problem after a couple of hours use.

Originally posted by sajman9

This has been one of the most useful posts to me on any forum. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Could you please tell me what data/voice plan you have and what corporate discount you received (if you want to send it privately, that is fine).

I work for the govt, so I hope they have some discount plan.

I am glad to hear that the EVDO is "HOT" in Hotlanta. What is the monthly charge for EVDO (unlimited?)?

Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

Originally posted by sajman9

BIG deal is EVDO is live in Atlanta. Easily double SPCS 1xRTT speed and usually triple. No beep problem after a couple of hours use.
    That's great news. Now if SPCS would just start rolling out their EVDO network upgrades.

Glad to hear you guys are "beep-free" at Verizon. We're narrowing our search down at SPCS and think that this is a Vision/Business Connection/Phone issue as those reporting only seem to have the problem when Vision has a dormant/inactive connection to the network.

Bob Duckworth

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=517096

Just got it today...I haven't even begun to mess around with it. Made one call to activate, and sent one text message to test.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Originally posted by GadgetLuvR
    This has been one of the most useful posts to me on any forum. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Could you please tell me what data/voice plan you have and what corporate discount you received (if you want to send it privately, that is fine).

I work for the govt, so I hope they have some discount plan.

I am glad to hear that the EVDO is "HOT" in Hotlanta. What is the monthly charge for EVDO (unlimited?)?

Thanks again, you have been very helpful.
    I have an America's Choice plan (lots of minutes), and the unlimited PDA data plan which lists for $44.95/mo. I am not a government employee. My corporate discount is under a non-disclosure agreement, so I can't be specific there. Just remember that SPCS charges $30/mo for data access on a Pocket PC device.

My sales rep had to go around with customer service a couple of times to explain how to put EVDO on the unlimited data plan, but she's a gem and got it done.

You are welcome; glad to help.

Ive had my XV6600 for about a week now, and i love it! Its possibilities are endless! Hopefully verizon will get EVDO working in Orlando soon.

pictures anyone?????..i cant picture how small it is, as some people say. other pictures i have seen make it look like a brick. anyone have a kyocera 7135 to compare it to?

Is it just me or is the volume on the handset unexceptable, if there is any back ground noise i have to strain to hear.

I too have been trying to find/hold and touch one. Would love to find a repalcment for my 7135. from the specs I've seen

Kyocera 7135 - 3.97 x 2.43 x 1.17
    PPC-6600 - 4.9 x 2.75 x .74

so its a little longer, wider but thinner

Very thin, a bit wider and longer than the body of the treo 600. If that helps.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

The size of it is perfect, fits perfectly in my hand and in my pocket. With the keyboard out it becomes a little more awkward but i would reccomend using the keyboard on a table. Otherwise everything about this phone is excellent, a very solid device.

I've been searching for cases and find the Samsung i700 to be the closest in size. Little bit larger in all dimensions than the Treo. Not as thin and a little larger than the Blackberry.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.