+ Reply to Thread

Looking for an audio gizmo

Unfortunatley, my second car is not bluetooth enabled. I am using the 4 segment plug to 3 segment plug audio adapter that I stole from my G1000. It works great with the Radio Shack cassette adapter to get the 6601 audio out to my car's speakers (and in stereo!).

Now it would be really great to have this work with the phone portion of the 6601. Of course the audio out wtill works fine but at the same time the adapter cuts off the 6601 internal mic (must be looking for some kind of headset mic). I would like to keep using the 6601 internal mic (I dont really want to have another mic or headset flapping around) while using something like this adapter plug.

Anyone have any ideas where to buy or how to fabricate a plug that will still allow me to have external audio out while at the same time use the 6601 mic as the audio in.

This would be a great device for anyone not having a Bluetooth car. Maybe even better since you could use MS voice command for dialing which I dont think will work with Bluetooth.

Thanks for any suggestions.

What about this? It keeps the mic portion on the cord, but enabled. I have this ordered, and I can let you know how it sounds in the car.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks for the info.
    I am not sure I understand how it would work. What do I plug into my cassette adapter for audio out to listen to a call? And what do I use for a mic to talk to the caller?

You plug this cable into your 6600 and you take your cassette adaptor and plug it into the 3.5 mm hole. The 6600 will think you have a headset plugged in. The sound will come through your car speakers, and the audio in will come from the mic portion of this little cable.

I know several people have used this workup for the i700; I'm hoping it works just as well for the 6600.

Well there is the source of my confusion. I did not see any mention of a mic being part of the cable. If its there, that is great. If not, I guess I could just get a cheap headset and just use the mic part of it.

You have really been a great help. Thanks for getting me on track. I think it will be almost as good as bluetooth but maybe not quite as clean.

I'm wondering how much feedback you'll get using an omnidirectional mic with loud speakers... I'd think it'd get a little hairy as anything coming through the car speakers will get picked up by the mic, causing a major echo...
    Tom

Okay, the people on i700 used a cable that had a mic built in. The cable for XDAIII from PPC techs doesn't have a mic (crap!) but has an additional 2.5mm plug in. So I'll give 'er a whirl when I get it and see how it works.

But from the feedback the i700 people gave, the little mic worked well for handsfree use. As you said mcitron, I'm hoping a cheapo head set will work. (at least until I get a BT car! )

Got the PPC techs audio converter for the XDAIII for my XV6600. I was excited when I saw it had a mic hole, but disappointed when it didn't work. I plugged a Radio Shack cassette to 3.5 jack into the 3.5mm plug, and an old 2.5mm mono cellphone headset (single earpiece and mic) into the 2.5mm plug. Worked great! Audio out into the car speakers (WMP, streaming music, voice command, phone call audio), and mic worked into the the device (voice command, phone call). I called my wife and she said it sounded a little echo-y, but not bad. Volume came into the cell headset as well as the speakers, so you could turn down the stereo speakers if you wanted without disconnecting the whole setup. A few more wires than I would like, but serves the purpose well. I can listen to my 6600 via car speakers, know when someone calls, and can talk without bringing the device up to my head. This will work for me until I get a BT car...

Or if you can afford it, buy a bluetooth speakerphone such as the Jabra SP100.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4789.html

I had this setup for my Samsung i700 using the PocketPC Techs adapter (the one with the microphone built into the cable) and it worked great. In fact this topic came up recently on the Samsung i700 forum:
    Abandoning the i700

Works great for MP3s and as a speakerphone. Sound quality was very good for both sides of the conversation. Microsoft Voice Command even works with this setup.
    Last edited by baysailor; 12-16-2004 at 03:04 PM.

Originally posted by baysailor
    I had this setup for my Samsung i700 using the PocketPC Techs adapter (the one with the microphone built into the cable) and it worked great. In fact this topic came up recently on the Samsung i700 forum:
    Abandoning the i700

Works great for MP3s and as a speakerphone. Sound quality was very good for both sides of the conversation. Microsoft Voice Command even works with this setup.
    Where did you think I got the idea!

After you got me thinking, on a hunch I bought the PPCPADPT09. It already has the mic so there is one less piece. Works just fine. Thanks again for getting me on the right track!

If it werent for the dumb cassette adapter this would be even better than bluetooth on the car. Now if someone just came up with a wireless cassette adapater that had bluetooth built in instead of the wire hanging out, it would seem like that would be a marketable product.

I'm glad it works. Wish I had bought that one, instead of having to plug in another cord. I bet the i700 one would work as well. Live and learn!