+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy PPC-6601 Problems

I have had my phone for a bit over a week now and am having a love-hate relationship with it. I've been on the phone with Sprint several times and sometimes they help, others they don't. I'm wondering if anyone reading this can offer any info on how to solve the below issues I'm having:
    1. Sometimes the phone doesn't ring. All of a sudden I'll get a voice mail notification out of the blue. Sprint has tried to fix this to no avail.
    2. Buttons getting hit accidentally when I'm on the phone. If I am on the phone when it is in it's case all kinds of apps are getting kicked off. I tried LockScreen but it just locked up the PDA... had to do a soft reset to get rid of it.
    3. Answering a call... if I accidentally touch a button or the screen when pulling the PDA out of it's case to answer the phone then the caller is pushed to my voice mail... very frustrating.
    4. Sometimes I'll make a call and all I get is static and scratchy sounds.
    5. I have to toggle to flight mode after using accessing the Internet to make a call... this problem is also intermittant.
    6. Other issues I can tollerate until the above are resolved.

Thanks for your help!

Administrator
    replace the phone...

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    replace the phone...
    I agree. Never had ANY of those with my 6601. However, I do not use a case at the moment.

With regards to not getting phone calls? I've had this problem with all kinds of different phones. I don't think thats specific to just the 6600 series.

But.. ya, if the interface isn't too your liking, you can either try different programs out there, or alas look for a different phone. I suspect most PocketPC phones will have similar issues.

(The two hardware/firmware level bugs in the 6600 are the 'beep' and the crappy bluetooth it appears. Everything else, is pretty universal to pocketpc phones).

Good luck with your search for the perfect phone.
    btf

Re: PPC-6601 Problems

Originally posted by PCS_it

1. Sometimes the phone doesn't ring. All of a sudden I'll get a voice mail notification out of the blue. Sprint has tried to fix this to no avail.

>>This is a system problem with local overload issues. Sometime I had this problem with my T600 as well. The system/local cells just get over loaded with activity and send the call to your VM.

2. Buttons getting hit accidentally when I'm on the phone. If I am on the phone when it is in it's case all kinds of apps are getting kicked off. I tried LockScreen but it just locked up the PDA... had to do a soft reset to get rid of it.

>> Try pressing the power button to turn off the device before you put in into the case. If you have the phone radio powered up before you turn off the screen this way, calls will still come through. Your battery life will be longer as well. This doesn't kill the current call-in-progress either. Radio works fine with screen off.

3. Answering a call... if I accidentally touch a button or the screen when pulling the PDA out of it's case to answer the phone then the caller is pushed to my voice mail... very frustrating.

>>No answer for this. Maybe a different case type would help.

4. Sometimes I'll make a call and all I get is static and scratchy sounds.

>>This happen to us all. Welcome to the world of cell phones.

5. I have to toggle to flight mode after using accessing the Internet to make a call... this problem is also intermittant.

>> This is a new one for me. Usually my data goes dormant pretty quickly after ending use. Do you have auto-fetch settings for your email or have it set to "push" to you device??

6. Other issues I can tollerate until the above are resolved.

Thanks for your help!
    What??!! No beep of death with your device.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth

I really like a lot about the phone... I'd hate to go back to 2 devices and not be able to get to my POP3 e-mail! I just installed SuperDave's PhoneLock and it seems to work pretty well... Thanks for your responses, I'll swap the phone out.

No, I only get beeps when the battery is low.

1) Did you have data up? If you were receiving or transmitting this will happen. The dreaded beep problem can also cause this.

2) I'm not sure if it's called lock screen or not. But you can lock the buttons (for the bad case).

3) Get rid of that case. Try the EB case it won't hit any buttons (if you don't use slide out keyboard). Or the Piel and other if you do use keyboard.

4) I'd try a hard reset and be sure you get the latest PRL before sending it back.

5) You could have beep problem real bad because I've seen it cause this.

I agree, there is SOOOO much to like about this device. I really hope they find a solution to this issue so we can live happily with our PPC's.

Several are hammering AudioVox and SPCS daily trying to get them to move this issue to the front burner.

Good Luck and make sure you back up using active sync before you do a hard reset.

Bob Duckworth

How do I know if I have the most current PRL? Thanks!

It should be 10025

Start->Settings->System->Device Information

This is for Sprint.

Call *2 and you may have pending update if you have not done it.

You want to decide if you call it before or after the Hard Reset (which I think will set it back to 10024). Once you call *2 it will be dequeue and you have to call sprint to get another one.

So to get to 10025 (I am on 10024 and have been working fine), you call *2 and do what? Talk to tech support to get a download to the device?

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks for your help!

None of those problems....except for programs loading in the case....that is a common issue with any touch screen device. With the 660x simply just hit the power button before you put it in the case and it is fine.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Originally posted by PCROB
    So to get to 10025 (I am on 10024 and have been working fine), you call *2 and do what? Talk to tech support to get a download to the device?

Thanks,

Rob
    You talk to CS and have them flag your account. Then call back (*2) and your PRL will automatically be updated.

The PRL is just a roaming list stored in the phone so it can roam efficiently. It is not a firmware change or upgrade. Even if you roam a lot, you will probably not even notice a difference.

-rob

Administrator
    Even if you roam a lot, you will probably not even notice a difference.

-rob
    thats the main reason for a PRL update.. improved coverage in non sprint areas...

prls are released failry often when sprint sets up an agreement with another carrier in a non sprint area. instead of puting up their own cells they will lease from other carriers already available in the market. all carriers do this...

i have prl 10023 btw....

For what it's worth, I just got a PPC-6601 and activated it Tuesday. I'm having the EXACT same set of problems with mine (caller hears ring, device doesn't ring, needing to cycle flight mode after data calls, etc).

Sprint is not being terribly helpful. The first guy I got reloaded the PRL and home reigstry settings (network-side). The second guy was acting all cocky (yet didn't even know how to find the info to turn off roaming mode) but was of no help at all.

I don't want to part with this device, but if it's not even going to ring, it's gonna have to go.

Originally posted by KurtMendel
    For what it's worth, I just got a PPC-6601 and activated it Tuesday. I'm having the EXACT same set of problems with mine (caller hears ring, device doesn't ring, needing to cycle flight mode after data calls, etc).

Sprint is not being terribly helpful. The first guy I got reloaded the PRL and home reigstry settings (network-side). The second guy was acting all cocky (yet didn't even know how to find the info to turn off roaming mode) but was of no help at all.

I don't want to part with this device, but if it's not even going to ring, it's gonna have to go.
    Understandable. Try a few thing first:

Back up our phone with Active Sync's backup option in the "Tools" menu, then hard reset the phone. Then you can diddle with it in it's "native" state or reload the backup file if you wish. I had to do a couple of hard resets on mine before it was fully functional. The ringer: Make sure you don't have the volume for the ringer turned down. Just flick the side volume switch and check the screen for system and ringer volume settings. Accidentally turned mine down one day and was sure the MSVC had quit working. Duh!!

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth

Originally posted by KurtMendel

Also go into Settings and Phone to verify that the ringer is not turned off there as well. I turned mine off one night and got frustrated the next day whenever it would go silent after I turned up the volume on the side for the ringer....until I remembered I turned it off in the settings.

A hard reset never hurts any phone out of the box. I had to do this with my Treo 600 fix some stuff when I first got it.

I must be honest and say though that I have never heard of the problems you are having with your phone on any of the 4 or so boards that I frequent. What carrier are you with?
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Make sure you don't have the volume for the ringer turned down.
    Believe me, I did check that a number of times (plus I had it to set to Ring and Vibrate). It had been ringing, but sporadically and often the caller would hear three rings before the device would ring once.

I think I may have this resolved. The way the problem has been so intermittent, I'm hesitant to totally declare victory. But I did two things that seemed to cure it:

I turned off the Voice Privacy feature, and turned off "notify me when voice privacy is unavailable". This got rid of the situations where it wouldn't ring at all, but it still wouldn't start ringing the end of the third ring on the calling end.

I fixed my "almost as silly as turning the ringer off" problem. The PPC-6601 replaced a Sony Ericsson T608. I powered it off when I activated the PPC-6601. It turns out that somehow, and I don't know how, the T608 had powered itself back on. Yup. Two ESNs claiming the same MIN on the same tower, probably not the ideal situation. Removed the battery from the T608, no more tears.

Accidentally turned mine down one day and was sure the MSVC had quit working.
    Did you ever happen to get the headset button to kick off MSVC? MSVC seems oblivious to my headset button and I've just bound one of the device's buttons to it. Not bad, but I'd like to see the headset button work with it if there's a solution.

What carrier are you with?
    It's Sprint PCS. And it's not a Palm device BTW, it's Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's nice to see forums where people actually reply to someone in distress with a post count of 1.