Closed Thread

Should the "beep of death" keep me from going with Sprint?

I've considered the pros and cons of switching from VZW to Sprint and getting the PPC-6601 or staying and getting the XV6600. I've decided in my case, it would be better to go with SPCS. However, the "beep of death" issue has me worried. I really don't want to have to deal with exchanging it (perhaps multiple times).

Comments?

Administrator
    why are you leaving vz for sprint?

FWIW, I am on Sprint PCS with my 6601 in AZ, and in the month I have had the phone, I've never had the 'beep' issue...

- Ben
    Ben Freedman

Re: Should the "beep of death" keep me from going with Sprint?

Originally posted by norbert
    I've considered the pros and cons of switching from VZW to Sprint and getting the PPC-6601 or staying and getting the XV6600. I've decided in my case, it would be better to go with SPCS. However, the "beep of death" issue has me worried. I really don't want to have to deal with exchanging it (perhaps multiple times).

Comments?
    For right now, IMO, yes. Give them some time to work this out. I'm seriously considering jumping to VZN because of this problem.

Knowing what I know today, I would not buy this device with SPCS service. Apparently it has to do with Vision/BC/phone app conflicts.

Bob Duckworth

Thanks Bob for the sound advice. Unfortunately, I can't even get it with VZW because I'm in Arizona which is the only state that is having trouble getting it.

Just be patient. SPCS may solve this soon. If not, you can gloat because YOU didn't gt sucked into this morass. VZN will have this phone in AZ soon as well, I'll bet.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth

I've had the device for 2 weeks now. Never had the beep.

Originally posted by lkaufma1
    I've had the device for 2 weeks now. Never had the beep.
    Tell us if you are using Vision and/or SPCS Business Connection. We're trying to track the problem down and it seems to be related to these two possibilities.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth

No beep for me...

I am using Sprint, wihtou the biz connection. I use vision all the time, and have not had the beep issue, or any issue with this phone other than the bluetooth problems...

- Ben
    Ben Freedman

Originally posted by rduckwor1
    Tell us if you are using Vision and/or SPCS Business Connection. We're trying to track the problem down and it seems to be related to these two possibilities.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Sorry SPCS 6601. I use Vision, but not Business Connect.

Love my new mobile laptop/phone/convergent device, kitchen sink/ whatever you want to call this piece of wizardry....

What Beep of Death are you talking about. I have had the device since November 10th and have never had any issues. The phone seems rock solid. I have had every incarnation of the smartphone out there, starting way back with the I300, I330, I550, G1000, now the 6601. This is by far the most incredebly stable phone i have ever used. I use Vision heavely and Business Connect almost as much. No issues yet.
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Thanks guys for the responses. I was pretty sure that this was Vision/BC related until I saw the response from Celdridge.

Now I don't have any idea.

Celdridge: This is a call ending fax or modem handshake tone you gt while on a call. You have no choice but to end the call and redial. Very random in nature. and Apparently only on SPCS devices.

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor1; 12-10-2004 at 12:46 PM.

I wouldn't rule BC out yet. How much does Celdridge use the phone and how long are the calls? (I don't have the device yet, but want to get it and really want to see this resolved!)

I have had the 6601 with vision and BC for 3 weeks now, and have had no problems of any kind with beeping or anything else.

BC works, phone works, bluetooth works, streaming audio works, mp3s work, etc. This is the best device I have used by far to date.

Good luck all.

Rob

BC is NOT the problem, I haven't ever even installed it and I have the beep. Also, assuming it's a data related tone is a completely unfounded assumption, it doesn't sound like a handshake tone to me at all, something is definitely wrong here but I'm not quite sure what to attribute it to, no way would I narrow it down to a data related tone, that's for certain!
    Tom

I use BC a lot also, and it seems that after I installed it I stopped getting the beeping, go figure.
    iPhone 3GS !!

I bit the bullet and bought the Sprint PPC-6601 from telesales and will be getting the LG 325 also when it comes out of backorder. The rep said I have until Jan. 31 to return it even if it's activated now. I'm not sure I believe that. If that is true, I'll hang on to my Verizon number until then to see if SPCS is going to work for me.

Originally posted by SpineDoc
    I use BC a lot also, and it seems that after I installed it I stopped getting the beeping, go figure.
    NOW THAT'S INTERESTING.

It seems like my Vision connection has been dropping off line a lot today when dormant. Typically is remains dormant until the phone is reset, turned off/on, etc. Today, the device is dropping the gray arrows on its own. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they shipped an over-the-air upgrade to fix this issue and didn't tell anyone??

This device is a wonderful/terrible mystery to me.

Bob Duckworth

Administrator
    norbert made his decision. thread closed. lets keep the beep thread moving with more experiments...