+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Solution to bluetooth issues on Sprint flavor

The answer is in the other forum (you know, the one that talks about the same issues and same solutions to the same phone).

pda2k and bluetooth/bt headsets

I'm logged on my laptop through the sprint phone over bluetooth to post this.

Re: Solution to bluetooth issues on Sprint flavor

Originally posted by mswlogo
    The answer is in the other forum (you know, the one that talks about the same issues and same solutions to the same phone).

What didn't work, that does now? The lack of the bluetooth stack portion concerns me. If a signal boost was going to be anywhere, you'd think it'd be there.

Maybe somebody with a crappy bluetooth headset can comment?

Byron

Re: Solution to bluetooth issues on Sprint flavor

mswlogo,

Do you think this will help some of the bluetooth connectivity problems people are having in their cars?

If you look earlier in the thread I referenced two people had the same phone and same headset (Jabra 250). For the person with Build 2200 they got static. For the person with Build 2400 it was crystal clear. It also appeaered Verizon folks (ones with Build 2400) had no DUN problems. So we gave it whirl and it worked.

My guess is (and this is a big guess), if a car did not work it all it may still not work. If the car was unstable this might stablelize it.

If you are nervous to try, watch for Verizon folks luck with bluetooth on other devices. The change is very simple and easy to restore. Or wait until Sprint releases patch.

I shouldof mentioned yo backup all the files you are replacing first.

I did a full backup and backed up the files.

It was very simple and paid off for me.

I'm also willing to experiment with a wider range of headsets now.

I can confirm that this works. I never had the beeping and other problems with the Sprint phone, but bluetooth DUN would not stay connected. I just moved the files into the windows directory on the pocketpc and surfed for 10 minutes on bluetooth done right after the soft reset. Sprint still does not have EVDO, but the speeds it does have is more than adequate for surfing.

A note to people trying this, don't get confused if you don't see a lot of files after unzipping the above file (not the cab one). They were hidden for me. I simply unzipped it and moved the entire folder into the mydocuments of the ppc. I then opened the moved folder from my computer via activesync and could see all files. There I copied all files from the new folder, saying yes to overrighting questions. Then I deleted the unzipped folder from ppc, did a soft reset and everything worked fine. I think if we waited for Sprint it would be a long wait indeed. Thanks a million for the poster of the files as it fixes what what the biggest drawback for the Sprint phone.

I still may switch to Verizon if EVDO gets to my area before Sprints does, but for now I am a happy camper.

Thanks for confirming. It would be great if anyone with a borderline headset could confirm if it resolves their problems. I don't have a headset yet due to all the noted problems.

You probably have system files hidden by default on XP.
    Second thing I change on a new XP install

On XP File Explorer Goto Tools->Folder Options->View
    UnCheck Hide Extenstions
    UnCheck Hide Protected Operating System Files

I updated the steps to be a little more detailed.

Can someone post step by step what to do here? I don't wan't to kill my phone.
    I keep running into problems with my Jabra 250 head set kicking out on me half way through the day. Usually after playing around with my PCs bluetooth connection to my phone.

Also... Is there software on the Sprint CD that I need to use the phone as a wireless modem? I never even bothered with the CD to see what was on it.
    Cingular 8525

Copied from the other forum.

=============================================

Whoo-hoo I don't believe it, it worked !!!

I'm running Via Blue Tooth to a Sprint Phone with the Verizon BT Stack to post this message.

All I did was just dump the files in

Steps (this is a very conservative procedure, it's really simple):

1) Shutoff bluetooth
    2) Soft Reset
    3) Start up ActiveSync over USB
    4) Backup (see note 1 below)
    5) On PC Unzip http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...&postid=275444 to a temp folder (see note 2 below)
    6) Copy all files in temp folder to "My Mobile device"\Windows
    7) Soft Reset.

Note 1: Backup

Do a full Backup to SD Card.
    Browse on PC to "My Mobile device"\Windows
    Sort by name.
    Select all files that start with BT*.* and copy to a safe place.

Note 2: On seeing all files:

On XP File Explorer Goto Tools->Folder Options->View
    UnCheck Hide Extenstions
    UnCheck Hide Protected Operating System Files

Credit to ed207_us for getting the files of his Verizon phone
    Last edited by mswlogo; 12-11-2004 at 09:45 PM.

My PPC-6601 hasn't arrived yet. Does it use a proprietary USB cable? If so I want to get one ordered ahead of time.

Yes. You can use the supplied cradle. But you'll likely want to get a sync cable to keep with your laptop.

Note that (in my opinion) none of the third parties that sell sync cables (that are compatible with XDA-II and other older models) is the correct cable. They can work, but they are not keyed correctly. But the third party connectors are so sloppy on tolerance you can still push it in. Search threads on chargers and cables in the forum for more info and photos. I'd wait until Sprint or AudioVox sells the OEM cables.

Yes. You can use the supplied cradle. But you'll likely want to get a sync cable to keep with your laptop.

How about this cable?

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    1) Shutoff bluetooth
    2) Soft Reset
    3) Start up ActiveSync over USB
    4) Backup (see note 1 below)
    5) On PC Unzip xv6600woc_bluetooth.zip to a temp folder (see note 2 below)
    6) Copy all files in temp folder to "My Mobile device"\Windows
    7) Soft Reset.
    Hi, I tried reading prior posts in this thread but I can't figure out what exactly this does. Does it resolve bluetooth issues?

RFK
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Supposedly it overlays the Sprint bt drivers with apparently newer one from the verizon device to fix the bt issues we are having. Someone should simplify this further by rolling these files into a simple install...
    Tom

Part of the confusion is due to the fact we have TWO Forums for the same %@$#^% phone. You need to read BOTH forums to keep up on this phone.

Read the whole thread I referenced in the first post in this thread.

Basically we stole most of the BT Stack off a verizon phone because it has a newer build. So far everything works plus the Dial Up Networking now works. Nobody has confirmed if it fixes headset issues yet. But if you read the other thread you'll see that the Verizon phone handled the same HeadSet better than an I-Mate phone with an older build of the BT stack.

This update hasn't helped my headset problem. My G2 headset is continuing to lose its connect with the phone... especially when the phone sleeps and then comes back. The only fix now is to bounce bluetooth on the phone. I have an HS820 on the way that I will check.

I think all the headsets had issues when the phone goes to sleep. How well does the G2 work clarity wise? Does it disconnect during use? Does voice command work with it?

I think the G2 works pretty well. It is generally clear with no static up to 30 ft advertised range. Great battery life (it has never run out on me and I am on a lot of cenference calls) and the people on the other end says it sounds OK. Some have commented that it sounds like a speaker phone. I am pretty happy except for the fact that using it is a crap shoot. If the phone rings or I want to make a call, it is almost impossible to answer it with the headset and it generally takes me to tell the caller "hold on, I am going to switch to a headset". Then bounce the bluetooth (sometimes a few times) to finally get it to work. Very irritating.

Voice Command doesn't work with it. I am not sure if we'll find one that does. I notice that with other wired headsets, all system sounds come through the headset (including music) so Voice Command would natually work. This is not the case with BT headsets. So unless a headset is created with the intent to be used with a Pocket PC, I don't think any will work.

There has been some comments that the HS820 works well. We'll see soon.

noodleNT,

If you want to use bluetooth for dialup you should apply the patch and that's it.

If you want to use USB for dialup search for wmodem in this forum for a detailed post I did on how to set it up.

Part of the confusion is due to the fact we have TWO Forums for the same %@$#^% phone. You need to read BOTH forums to keep up on this phone.

MSW: What's the other thread to follow for this issue?

Thanks,

Bob DUckworth