+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cingular sx66 vs xv6600

I'm verizon, but can't get the phone.
    Cingular is selling it now as a SX66 with WIFI

So the difference is in the wifi and then the data plans.

Let here what everyone thinks, I'm in FBurg VA so I'm not sure if EVDO is avail or what hi speed plans there are with Cingular.

Administrator
    no -DO. has it even been announced (i dont keep up with them)?

plus the MERGER fiasco that will take a year or so to get everything in order...

that alone would keep me away from that camp....

Its on the cingular site now.

I like the built in WIFI, and some places i travel to have better coverage for attwireless ( does that mean cingular now too? )

Verizon has good coverage ( no drops ) in my normal area.

but they can't seem to figure out how to sell me the phone.

I'd say just be patient, it can't be more than a month away through normal retail channels. The GSM version from Cingular will only do GPRS, which as we all know is painfully slow. I'd rather deal with Sprint's (or VZW's) 1xRTT speed compared to that.

The point is though, in leaving out WIFI, you won't be missing anything, since EvDO speeds can be as good as DSL speed.

If Verizon would allow you to access EvDO through your minutes then it would be a steal. Dropping the price of the unlimited plan would make it sweeter as well.

Have you ever had a GSM phone. Think twice !!!!

GSM vs CDMA is the biggest difference between these 2 phones.

The wifi is a nice to have.

Talk to someone that has had BOTH services in the area you will be the most.

I haven't had a GSM phone in a number of years. Thats the feed back I'm looking for.

I like the wifi, but if the gprs is much slow than the 1rxt then it may not be work it.

My travel puts sometimes puts me on extended networks, were my travel companions are on att networks, so I may be worth it.

keep the feedback coming, trying to get a group consensus, but I see the lean already

If you don't care much about data speeds going the GSM way may be good for you. I won't ever go that route unless there are no other options available.

GPRS = Walking
    1xRTT = Biking
    EvDO = New Car Smell

It really comes down to availability and affordability. If you have excellent CDMA coverage and can afford EVDO data plans, by all means go there. If you have better GSM coverage and have WiFi coverage where you work and/or play most, then go that route. Comparing the technologies is nice but there are other factors also.
    John

Well, currently I have one of the lower priced plans with VZW. $60 a month for two lines and 400 minutes shared. I use data outside of work and home sparingly (and that uses my minutes).

That works for me. If I can get EvDO through my minutes, great. If I have to stick with 1X, I'll do that too. If VZW can offer a $20 unlimited data plan, I will definitely be on board.

Re: cingular sx66 vs xv6600

Originally posted by Maxwell
    I'm verizon, but can't get the phone.
    Cingular is selling it now as a SX66 with WIFI

So the difference is in the wifi and then the data plans.

Let here what everyone thinks, I'm in FBurg VA so I'm not sure if EVDO is avail or what hi speed plans there are with Cingular.
    Wassup. Yeah I'm in your same shoes. I have the Samsung i700 on Verizon right now, and I truly do love their service. And I know that Cingular's service will never be as good as Verizon's, but I can't stand their availability of phones. Also, I'm a college student, and won't be able to afford EV-DO for a long time, so that feature is useless to me. Personally, I am switching to Cingular as soon as I sell my i700 because I like the freedom that hte GSM network gives me, and Cingular's voice plans are better. I agree with the other post, if you don't care about data speeds, Cingular is the way to go.

Over the last 3 years I've been using an SX56 on ATTWS which is GSM/GPRS. I've been very happy with the phone. But GPRS is painful. My speeds are in the 13k-24k range, usually around 17k. It makes the web unusable. Email is ok at these speeds. But I'd love to be able to look up a movie time or get some current news or weather or road reports or IM in realtime. And that's just not possible with GPRS where I live - Western Massachusetts.

The wifi would be nice, though. Sprint/Verizon are such boneheads for diabling it!

Here's another reason not to go with Cingular...

http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html.../data_maps.htm

The data coverage map is pretty lame!

Data Coverage Map

Originally posted by mojobaer
    Here's another reason not to go with Cingular...

http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html.../data_maps.htm

The data coverage map is pretty lame!
    That map is outdated (before the merger with AT&T). There is more availability now as one would expect.

Well, as a an ATTWS customer for the past 3 years, outside of very urban areas, the GPRS coverage is weak!

Well, the point is WIFI isn't really necessary when you have EvDO built in.

I guess you could also look at it that EVDO isn't necessary when WiFi is built in.

It seems to me that it all comes down to personal needs and e-topography. For me the places I'm going to use high-speed most are hotspots - home, work, cafes, and a good chunk of our downtown (Amherst, Massachusetts). So EVDO is the ultimate in terms of mobility, but at a pretty high cost of $80/month or close to $1,000 year as compared to WiFi which is generally free around here - all the cafes and a nice chunk of downtown has free WiFi.

But if you were travelling all the time into different places where hotspots are not available, then paying for EVDO seems the way to go!

The EV-DO is only $45 mo, unlimited data. They have changed the rates. They are even testing a $15 mo unlimited plan. They = VZN.

Originally posted by mojobaer
    I guess you could also look at it that EVDO isn't necessary when WiFi is built in.
    I see your point, but the MUCH wider range of EVDO is very very tempting. Priced reasonably (are you listening Sprint/Verizon?), this would make me drop my Treo 650 (which I absolutely love) like a bad habit.

I ordered the xv660 yesterday and got it today.

my area is not evdo, so using 1rxt. It is painful. In the second hour of the initial email download. I tried an IPAQ 4355 before this and it took about 6-8 minutes to download all of my mail.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the access when I'm out of the house, but this is a prime example of losing functionality at home. I'll probably buy a WIFI SD card, but I'm not sure how that will work ( I have my attachmends set to store to my data card )

It would be sooooo much worse, if you just had the Cingular SX66, GSM is a nightmare. Unless, that is all you are used to, then you seem satisfied. 1xRTT is a lot faster than GSM.

EV-DO though is the way to go...if you can.