+ Reply to Thread

Voicemail notification on Today screen?

Greetings,

I was hoping for a way to see any voice mails or missed calls on the today screen. Currently, the 6601 displays a cryptic bubble icon that needs two levels of drill down before you can know if there is a missed call or a voice mail.

I have missed an alarming number of VM messages since using the 6601. I was hoping someone sold a utility where this info could be placed out front on the today screen much like the unread e-mail messages are now displayed. (Or displayed on the front like any $49 phone)

If this is a common software patch I apologize for asking for such an obvious feature.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated
    Last edited by rich644; 12-12-2004 at 08:50 PM.

boe
    I've missed more than my share. I'd like that as well. I missed one whole days worth of voicemail - not sure why my phone never rang. About the only time I see any notification is when I reset the phone.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

Same.... I would like a tool that moved all those notifications to the Top of the Today Screen.
    Cingular 8525

Administrator
    the combination of blinking lights, sounds and the bubble should be enough for you to see your phone is trying to get your attention.... *shrugs*

If I was getting my voicemails, I wouldn’t feel the need for some additional notification. Apparently for some, the phone is not flashing its lights , ringing and hopping up and down on one foot. Hence the need for an indicator that isn't vague , that can be seen more than 6 inches away and doesn’t require multiple levels of drill down to get basic information like the kind you can find on any $49 phone
    Last edited by rich644; 12-12-2004 at 11:05 PM.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    the combination of blinking lights, sounds and the bubble should be enough for you to see your phone is trying to get your attention.... *shrugs*
    Forget about the blinking lights, there are too many reasons for it (calendar notification, new email, etc). If you are not at the phone when the call comes in there is no sound. And we already know that the bubble is awkward, you have to drill down 2 levels just to find out what is going on.

LOL... Flashing lights!!

What a joke.
    Cingular 8525

I've been missing my fair share also. I'm using the XV6600. So far I've noticed that if a headset is plugged in and the PDA is powered off, subsequent calls to the phone are brought to the PDA and not the headset. After the call is recieved, I can take out my headset and reinsert and everything is phine.

Voicemail wise, I'm just getting the speaking 'bubble' at the stop of the screen. Since there are too many status icons, one would have to click that icon to see what is there. Kinda wierd....still making adjustments to my routine.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Welcome to the Pocket PC phone world. The OS is still a PDA-first oriented OS. The phone side is OK, but lacks many of the phone features we have come to expect on low-end cell phones like notifications and repeating alarms.

There *ARE* developers out there working to try to create some new apps that will be workarounds for these basic problems. I like the idea of a Today plugin, since the Start bar and the Status bar are already too cluttered to be useful.

The "bubble" at the top is a joke, IMHO. It may be fine for a casual user, but not for a power user. I seem to get the bubble a LOT and then have to figure out why it's there. Ugh.
    John

Nuts,

It looks like the consensus is, that this utility isn't available as of yet. but may be on the way as this phone reaches critial mass. ( think of the slew of 3rd party apps which are available for the Treo)

I was excited when I say the Battery pack pro utility which put some of the vital statistics on the front screen like remaining battey life and mem allocation.

I though some smart developer could use those same hooks to extract phone information like missed calls and VMs

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback.

There was a developer in the XDA III forum just this morning discussing the possibility of a new app for SMS and VM notifications. Stay tuned...
    John

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar

SMS and Voice Mail Notification

Originally posted by jpmihalk
    There was a developer in the XDA III forum just this morning discussing the possibility of a new app for SMS and VM notifications. Stay tuned...
    Hey, jpmihalk, got a link to the particular XDA III forum, or would you like to supply a few more details ... you know how ready I am for just this type of software ...
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Did you see this reply to the notification thread on the i700 forum? A programmer named Bruce (pocket max) thinks he can find a solution.
    Jeremiah 29:11

There ya go!
    John

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    Originally posted by jpmihalk
    I heard back from Bruce Jackson ... sounds like his outfit is hard at work and we should see something soon ...
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Any update on this? Damn that bubble is just driving crazy...

The irony of this is the MS Smartphone has the capability to display user-selectale VMs, SMs, missed calls, on the today page and doesn't have the silly bubble notification. The Today screen on Smartphones is highly configurable so long as you know XML and have a list of the hardware calls (available from Microsoft).

I'm new to the PPC Phone world (just came from MS Smartphone) and was surprised to see this feature missing.