+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sending Email

Sending Email

Has anyone figured out a way to send email on the Sprint PPC6601 from a POP3 account other than the base Sprint email account? That is, can you send email from any other account, like Comcast?

I think that this issue revolves around the ISP's refusal to "relay" emails through their SMTP servers. I have (on the T600 and now the PPC-6601) just set up the smtp.sprintpcs.com outbound server on the devices. Works fine for me. Another alternative is the SPCS BC system whih actually worked well on the T600 and the PPC-6601. The only drawback to this (aside from the costs) is that you have to leave the BC client running on your box to access the service.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

I'm interested in that you said you set up the outbound mail server on the PPC6601 to be smtp.sprintpcs.com from an account other than sprint on the phone. As far as I know, there's no way on the POP account setup for anything other than sprint's account to pass the sprintpcs userid and password to authenticate on on the sending side. It looks like it assumes that the same userid and password will be used for sending and receiving emails. When that is done, you can't receive email via a comcast account (in my case) and then send via the sprint smtp server, unless you've found some way to do that, and that would be great. It was possible for me on the 650 device, but I don't see any way to do it on the ppc6601. I've you've found a way, I'd love to hear it and thanks.

Not sure I follow you, but I have two pop3 accounts set up on the phone: both use pop.central.cox.net as the inbound mail server and smtp.sprintpcs.com as the outbound. I just entered my user name and password into the account set-up wizard and it worked fine. The originating email address shows as my Cox address when I shoot email out of the device.

Don't know it that helps,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

I hope I can add a little insight here...

Just to clarify - POP is always an inbound mail server - it holds your incoming messages and that's it. You send messages through an SMTP server. Each ISP will provide you with both, though some web-based email (a la Hotmail, GMail, etc...) might not expose or allow you to use thier SMTP server from an email client (like Outlook, or Pocket Outlook), only from thier web page. Other ISPs might not let anyone send from any IP address not on thier network. Some ISPs will allow you to send from anywhere, as long as you authenticate to the SMTP server first.

Now, I don't have a PPC6601 (yet, looking into it) so this may be a little different, but I do have an IPAQ that I tether to my cell phone for email (though I use VerizonWireless). I have a connection set up to dial VerizonWireless as my ISP, but I ignore thier mail servers. Instead, I put in my Eartlink account name, and POP and SMTP servers, and it works fine, but that's because Earthlink allows you to authenticate as a current member, and doesn't care what your current IP is. All mail sent from my device goes out from my Eartlink SMTP server. I also have Outlook at home configured to use my Eartlink SMTP server, even though I use Comcast as my ISP just to get me on the web, and get the same results, so no matter where I send mail from, it's always out the Eartlink SMTP server and back in through thier POP server. I'm thinking as long as the PPC6601 still allows you to set the connection info seperate from the mail server info, and you have an SMTP server you can authenticate to, you should be able to do something similar.

rduckwor1's solution will work as well, but that's really only changing the reply-to address. If you examine the actual message header in the recieved email (view/options in Outlook, for example) the message will still show as coming from the Sprint SMTP server. Though this generally isn't a problem, do note that some spam filters / security programs compare the reply-to address to the 'real' sender and may flag the message as suspect in this case. You may also see some issues if you use the 'Find Related Mail' features in Outlook, but otherwise, the end result should be the same.

Hope this helped some.
    Last edited by lmychajluk; 12-13-2004 at 02:32 PM.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

OK guys, but here's where I get confused and probably show my ignorance. I'm pretty sure that both my Comcast POP server on the inbound side and the Sprint SMTP server on the outbound side require authentication with proper userid and password. However, the 2 are different. That is, my user and password for the Comcast POP server is different than the user and password for the Sprint server, and the device doesn't pass the Sprint user and password by default to the Sprint SMTP server as far as I can tell. It always comes back with "The message could not be sent. Check that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct." Somehow you are getting it to work, though, so maybe I've got something set up wrong on myphone. The only applicable settings I can find are the user and password for my Comcast account, the name of the incoming POP and outgoing SMTP servers (which I've specified mail.comcast.net for comcast and smtp.sprintpcs.com for the outgoing sprint server, and an option to say that the outgoing email server requires authentication, which I've tried both ways with no success). Do you have something different set up for yours?

My setup is a little different, in that I use Earthlink's POP and SMTP servers, so I only need to put my User ID in the mail client once. Desktop Outlook lets you configure the user IDs on the POP and SMTP servers differently, but as far as I can tell, Pocket Outlook won't. Maybe another PPC mail client will? Or can you forward all your Comcast mail to your Sprint account?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Most importantly, Sprint does not block port 25 (SMTP). Assuming you can be authenticated , you should be able to connect to any SMTP server. I connect directly to my company SMTP on the 6601 without difficulty. I also use my SBC SMTP server on occassion. No poblems whatsoever going through the Sprint network. Configure Outlook use an internet connection (not Sprint). This of course assumes your inbound and outbound User ID's and passwords are the same. If different, your only choice (since Pocket Outlook doesn't support this) is really WebIS mail. Great for POP but not quite ready yet for IMAP.
    Last edited by Maniac8888; 12-13-2004 at 08:59 PM.

I just fired up my new PPC-6600. My ISP is earthlink. I used the pop3 server mail.earthlink.net as usual and used smtp.sprintpcs.com for the SMTP server which was recommended by Sprint tech support. This didn't work.

this does work (for earthlink users)
    POP3 = mail.earthlink.net
    user: username@earthlink.net (you must use @earthlink.net)
    pw: yourpassword
    SMTP = smtpauth.earthlink.net
    set SMTP authentication.

For those of you who don't use Earthlink, you may check you ISP to see if they have a form of external authenticated SMTP services like earthlink does.

My wife has a Cingular PDA phone and all SMTP uses cwmx.com. I wished things were so easy with Sprint. I'm assuming Sprint will get things fixed on their end so smtp.sprintpcs.com works. For now it doesn't for me.

So Yes, Sprint does not block port 25.

I hope this helps some of you.

Cheers.