+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XV6600 and BT headsets

Some observations and a workaround...

I think all of us know that so far, BT headsets with this phone have been iffy. I had a few minutes to play around today and tried a few different scenarios:

- When playing around with the BT, I noticed a few anamolies. When BT is on and the PDA is turned off, in the beginning, the BT was staying active (indicated by flashing light). Last night and today (after doing a reset for another issue), I noticed that when BT is on and the PDA is turned off, the BT is now going off. When powering back on the PDA, BT reinitializes and starts again.

- When connected with a BT headset (HS810) and the PDA and BT are on, the headset seems to work as expected. Once the PDA is off, the two seem to lose each other.

- When connected with a BT headset and the PDA is off but BT wasn't turned off, this seems to be causing my lock up issues. The three times I had the XV6600 freeze (nonresponsive to power button) was after I powered off but left the BT headset and BT on the PDA active to try to figure out a way to take calls.

- What I have found that works... Turned on BT on the PDA, but turned the PDA off. When powered off, the blue light went off also. Called from a second line and the phone woke up as normal. Answered the call from the PDA and once connected, opened up the HS810 and it connected to the call after about 3 or 4 seconds.

Of course, this defeats the whole purpose of wearing a headset to answer calls, but it's a little bit better. In light of this new info, I think I'll go ahead and place an order for the Plantronics 3500 this week and hope for better results.

Edit/Afterthought:
    - I also tried to open the headset as the incoming call was recieved. No go...it wouldn't automatically connect and pushing the button on the headset itself didn't help.
    Last edited by Big Calhoun; 12-13-2004 at 03:43 PM.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Are you basically saying that if the PDA shuts itself off versus you explicitly turning it off, it will wake up better?

Also I didn't understand your last comment. If your work around works which a great observation if I understodd it correctly (other than being a pain in the butt to remember to turn it off). What behavior are you missing (other than integrated Voice Command/Recognition).

By all the reading I have done at many sites. And playing with bluettoth on this thing. I wouldn't expect different behavior in this area. They all suffer from this sort of problem on all the Microsoft based PDA phones.

Getting a different headset will just get you maybe different range, clarity and feel.

I have a HBH-300 on the way.

No...I rambled/was in a rush.

Basically, I tried a few different scenarios of answering the phone with the HS810; opening boom when phone ringing, leaving boom open while cycling PDA power, and opening boom while already on call.

It seems that the PDA saves the state of BlueTooth activity when the PDA is turned off. If BlueTooth is left active when the PDA is turned off, BlueTooth is reinitialized when the PDA is powered back on. You'll see the status icon changes in the corner.

Occasionally, BT will remain active when the PDA is turned off (confirmed by blinking LED). This is normal during a call; you can connect to a call with the BT headset and turn the PDA off. The few times it happened when I *wasn't* on a call, the PDA locked up on me (after trying to power back ON) and I had to do a soft reset.

It's pretty cut and dry to activate BT and the headset before placing a call. When recieving a call, I find it easier to answer the call on the PDA and open the BT headset. The two will connect in about 3 or 4 seconds.

There are really two functions I'm missing: Voice dialing and steady BT connectivity with the headset. The voice dialing I can live without. If I can find an application to handle it, that's great. But it's not a deal breaker.

Neither is the constant connectivity. When the HS810 is paired with a Moto v710, the two 'find' each other. That is to say that the HS810 goes to 'sleep' after a few moments. When a call is recieved on the v710, it wakes up the HS810 and you can connect the call.

With the XV6600, the HS810 is always 'active' and doesn't go into sleep mode. If the PDA is powered off, the two can't find each other and you lose alot of convenience (fumbling with phone, answering phone, resetting headset, yadda yadda yadda). It makes since since that this happens, two different manufacturers.

My hope is by going with a 'generic' (non-Cellular manufacurer) headset, I can get a little bit closer in functionality as the v710/HS810....just a little.

I was looking at the HBH-300 but ruled it out because it's manufactured by a cell phone maker. I'm trying to avoid proprietaryness/exclusiveness (yeah...those aren't words ). Are you using it with the 6600?? How are you liking it?
    Last edited by Big Calhoun; 12-13-2004 at 09:49 PM.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I'm still waiting on the HBH-300. After lots of research on raw performance (independent of phone). And the fact that the HBH-600 seems to work as well (or as poorly) as any other on a PDA phone I thought I'd start with that.

Thanks for details. You are the first one to explain in such great detail (I'm not being sarcastic).

Big Calhoun,

Sounds like you summed up what is going on with me. Frequently, I see the BT light blinking with the 6600 off. When I turn the 6600 on, it says it is connected to the ehad set, but calls do to go to it.

As for one touch, I remember with my I700 and the Jabra for non BT phones, I hade voice signal working by pressing the button the the head set.

I find the BT Headset useless. For me, while walking around a project site or driving, I wanted to be able to control the calls throught he headset. At a minimum answer and receive which does not work most of the time since the communication between the 6600 and the headset says connected, but is not.

It owul be nice to have it where you can use voice commands as well like I did on my I700.

Mike

That's not encouraging news to hear, Mike, since I JUST got my BT headset!!!

I am experiencing the same things now, and am greatly disappointed. Suddenly a wired headset doesn't seem to be nearly the headache that this is turning out to be...

Matt

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar
    Hmmm... is there any software for non-bluetooth phones that could be loaded to get added functionality.

The main reason I wanted bluetooth was for a wireless handset, and this really bites.

I don't have one of these phones, but I never really understood what turning the phone "off" really did, anyway. Is it maybe possible that something like screenlock could keep PPC/XV/SX66** owners from ever even needing to turn the "power" buton "off."
    Last edited by MannieBothans; 12-14-2004 at 02:48 PM.

Originally posted by mikemrossi
    Big Calhoun,

Sounds like you summed up what is going on with me. Frequently, I see the BT light blinking with the 6600 off. When I turn the 6600 on, it says it is connected to the ehad set, but calls do to go to it.
    This, I believe, is not supposed to be happening. I think the cause of it is that if the BT headset is left on when the PDA is powered off, the PDA treats it as if you were on a call...leaving BT active even though the PDA is off. Of course, when you recieve a call, the two devices lose the connection and the call goes to the PDA.

It's been a little bit of a pain but I'm holding onto hope that someone will come out with a solution. Without knowing all of the specifics of the BlueTooth protocol, it seems the problem lies in getting the PDA (on powerup/incoming call) to recognize that there is already a BT connection active.

One thing I'm going to try to do this afternoon is play around with the auto-answer feature. Maybe that could help with connectivity issues...doubt it...but can't rule it out until I try it.

Those with corded headsets, are you finding that if a call is recieved while the PDA is off that the call is still going to the PDA and not the corded headset? I picked up a pLantronics corded headset over the weekend and was surprised to see I missed 3 calls. After I got home, I did a couple of test calls and had the same problem as I had with the BT headset.

When the corded headset was plugged in and the PDA was on, everything was groovy. If the PDA was powered off and a call was recieved, it would go to the PDA and not th headset.

Who knows.....we'll soon find out...hopefully...

What are some of the better sources to buy headseats from?

Check out Http://mobileplanet.com

They just updated their sites with LOADS of BT headsets...Motorola, Plantronics, Jabra, Sony Ericsson, some other dinky company. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere, but they also give the added convience (damn I can't spell that word) of shipping to other addresses. I travel alot and can't update my credit card with every hotel I end up at. Very good source for other hardware too. Very reliable...been using them for 3+ years and they are always the first source I go to.

End shameless plug

Wired headset: Calls go to my headset and ring only in the headset. Easy to miss a call if the headset isn't near your ear. If its in your ear, WATCH OUT, its very loud.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Mini Rant

Got Plantronics m3500 this morning....no go. It pairs perfectly and works just as well (or not as well) as the Moto HS810 did. Still losing BT connectivity when PDA is powered off which is confirmed by a beeping tone the earset makes. Own power on, still having same problems with PDA and headset not finding each other. Hopefully this all points to a driver issue that Audiovox or VZW will address on the phones official launch.

The one good thing is that the m3500 has a separate power button, unlike the Moto HS810. This makes it possible to wear the headset and power on to connect a call when needed. With the Moto HS810, the power function is the boom. So to wear it and still take calls, you'd have to remove the headset, close the boom, and then reopen. All in all, the 3500 is easier to use, but I'm still looking for that constant connectivity. Now, if I could get the BT activeSynce so I can install the WiFi card!!!! I knew I should have brought the cradle today!!

Quick question - anyone have any success with a pair of BT headPHONES, like the HPs (are there others)?

Thx.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

My HS280 works fine if the phone is on constantly. When the phone turns off and an incoming call goes through or i turn on the phone to make a call, BT acts stupid and it doesnt repair with the headset. In the active connections section of BT it just shows the connection going on and off and i have to turn BT on and off and rejoin the headset that way. So essentially BT is useless unless i have the phone on constantly, which is okay if im at the office but when im mobile it isnt feasible. Hopefully Verizon/Audiovox is aware of this issue and is trying to fix it...

PRECISELY what I am experiencing. Flashing on-off-on-off in Active Connections... something ain't right, for sure...

Matt

Have any of you tried Build 3100 patch. I don't have any of these problems of losing pairing. At least for 2 days anyway. Without a single glitch. Sleep, out of range for hours etc. HBH-300 on PPC-6601.

Theres an updated patch? Thats news to me....has it worked for anyone on an XV6600?

Still waiting to hear. See summary thread on patches or bottom of sticky FAQ.

I might give that patch a shot on the XV6600. I'm out of the 15 day trial period with VZW and don't want to frig my machine.

As a side note, got the Plantronics m3500 yesterday and still having same BT issues. The one good thing is that the 3500 has a separate power button and it was pretty easy to just wear it and power on when I needed to take a call. Still waiting for that constant connectivity.

Product wise, the m3500 is pretty solid. It's the same length as a Moto HS810 (with boom open) but a little thicker. The LED is smaller which makes taking calls a little less embarassing in public...the HS810 has a enormous blue blinking LED. Sound quality was good; the 3500 uses DSP and Plantronics AudioIQ technology. I didn't notice any significant improvments over the HS810 nor any degradation. Two things I thought were great are the separate power button and the fact the battery is removable/changeable. Design wise, I'm having a little problem finding the 'sweet spot' on my hear. This to say that unless you get a perfect fit, there is some pressure placed on your outer ear. The ear loop is also stiffer than the HS810 which also adds a little pressure. Once you get a good fit, it is comfortable to use.

PPC6601 and HP bluetooth stereo headphones.

Well with the new patch enabling high quality audio I once again had some hope the HP bluetooth headphones would work on my PPC6601. Some have had success with this over at the XDA developers forums with Blue Angel variants, although no one specifically has had success with a PPC 6601.

Ordered the headphones from HP this morning. Figured if they did not work I have a spare Ipaq 2215 lying around that they could be used for, or I could just return them.

Will post back hopefully early next week with results.