+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VX6600 Battery Life

How is your battery life.

I put about 5 minutes of talk time on mine today, had bluetooth running all day and avtive sync connecting to exchange server every 5 minutes and the battery is down to 35%.

I am guessing that the active sync connections is what is killing the battery, otherwise the batter life is poor.

any thoughts?

Mike

Constant AS connection and BT? I'd think that would run any battery down...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Tomorrow I am going to see with Manual sync and No BT (does not work right anyway) and see how long it goes.

I am one of those who played with it the first two hours (while in the charger) - could not wait. I do no think that has anything to do with it though.

Mike

Originally posted by mikemrossi
    Tomorrow I am going to see with Manual sync and No BT (does not work right anyway) and see how long it goes.

I am one of those who played with it the first two hours (while in the charger) - could not wait. I do no think that has anything to do with it though.

Mike
    You'll find wireless access uses a lot of battery power. Figure data access as equal in cost to talking (same data path right?). 'While standby for the ppc660x is long.. look at its 'talk time' numbers. They're what.. 3.6 hours? Figure thats with a dark display. Now factor in bluetooth and a bright display. if you're messing around on the web.

So.. I'm not suprised by your 35% number. That'd be expected.

btf

Has anyone found a high capacity battery for the VX6600? I am expecting mine today and expect to use wireless data and internet access quite a bit and it would be a shame to have the device's use curtailed by poor battery life.

I'm planning to buy a second batter anyway but a high capacity battery would be really sweet! I can then use the original battery as the emergency battery.

Total and Utter PocketPC NEWB
    Almost certainly there will be an extended battery. Just looking at the shape of the standard battery it's clear. They can sell a double think battery without messing the lines up at all. When you get yours... you'll see.

Anyone know where to get accessories like a battery?

I remember Verizon once had a web site for accessoroes (not the one linked to the verizonwireless.com). I think it might have been the b2b, but I cannot find it again.

thanks,

Mike

I ordered all of them from my Verizon business sales person. They are all available. If you need help, contact Cheryl from the "get it today" forum.

Originally posted by WEBSRFRINMD
    Has anyone found a high capacity battery for the VX6600? I am expecting mine today and expect to use wireless data and internet access quite a bit and it would be a shame to have the device's use curtailed by poor battery life.

I'm planning to buy a second batter anyway but a high capacity battery would be really sweet! I can then use the original battery as the emergency battery.
    None exist. See the FAQ for this forum.
    btf

I’m just following up to see how the battery life on units are holding up. I Demo’d the 6600 for 15 days a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I only got about 10 hours MAX of life out of the battery. I average about 30 minutes of talk time a day, receive a hand full of SMS pages a day, configured wireless sync to run once an hour, disabled IR and BT, and had the backlight set to the lowest setting. I would have to get at least 14 hours of battery life out of the unit without having to worry about charging the battery for it to be practical for me. I have read the other posts and realize that the battery life is less than stellar. I also read some reports that the battery life got better with time. Are you able to make it an entire day without charging?

I ended up returning the unit because of the battery life. Now that I’m back to my i700, I find myself checking the board multiple times a day to see if there is any news on the battery life of the units. Lately, there seem to be less complaints about the battery. Makes me wonder if I missed a setting on the unit that was causing the battery to drain faster or possibly had a weaker than normal battery. Does the battery life indeed get better over time or are you all just charging the devices during the day? If and when an extended battery is released, I will be back on board. Until then I’ll have to stick with the i700 unless you think I had a faulty unit. Thanks in advance for your help.

I haven't done a actual test but I'm getting more than 10 hours out of it. Usage averages:

30 - 45 min talk
    3 - 7 text messages
    1 hr data sessions
    Syncing with WiFi

...at the end of the day, I'm usually down to about 45 percent. My day starts at 5:30am (pull unit out of charger) and usually ends around 8:00pm (finally home and charging back up).

BlueTooth does seem to take a bite out of battery life. I've left data sessions connected accidently for hours and still close out the day with around 30-35 percent. I also use mine on the second lowest contrast setting and disabled IR.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

How is it that you are able to conigure the timing for Wireless sync to occur? I can only seem to turn push off and initiate a manual sync. I can't seem to find where I can configure this to sync say once per hour. My readysync options are greyyed out if thats it..

With push enabled and only a few emails and very little talk time I can't go half a day on my XV6600.

The Sync schedule is in ActiveSync/Tools/Options on the Mobile Schedule Tab.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    The Sync schedule is in ActiveSync/Tools/Options on the Mobile Schedule Tab.
    ;
    Thanks...do you mean on the PDA? I have these all set to Manual..I'll have to check my work PC on Monday.

I left the house this evening ast 6:30pm with 100% charge. Made one call to someone's voicemail. Checked email once or twice, my friend checked out the web on IE for 5 minutes and wife played Jawbreaker on the way home for about a half hour and my battery is down to 30 % now..11:40pm. When not in use the power button on top was pressed to shut down screen.........
    The battery life does not appear very good to me.

I am a heavy user...both with talk time, BT, and Vision (and Wifi when roaming or around the house). I had to charge my Treo 600 up every night and it did not even have BT or Wifi.

At the worst I find the phone to be as advertised...at best I actually find it going longer than I expect, considering all that I do.

I know the things I do suck the battery...So I plan accordingly. I have a spar battery, a car charger, a travel wall charger, and the 4 AA emergency charger (which is great for 5 hour flights). Basically all the same tools I needed for my Treo 600.

The thing that really impresses me the most about the 6601's battery life is how fast it charges up!!!! This is the fastest charging phone I can recall. It charges 1% in about 30 seconds. That means if at mid day you go grab a bite to eat and you are at 80%, then a 10 minute or less drive will bump you back up to 100%.

If you want the features, then you need to learn the tricks of saving power and to creating easy quick charging opportunities.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Hobbes was your Treo600 CDMA or GSM?

I am coming to the realization, as you stated, to get the power of this device I will need to plan accordingly with battery charging. The good thing is that it does charge up (slowly) via the USB cradle alone. This is where it will spend most days while at work. A car charger for weekends and the wall charger for evening should do it.

What I have to determine is if I need the speed of data on this device along with the forward thinking that will be required, or if I can live with the speed of GSM and longer battery life. And if I want to continue to pay $45/month for it..

I really am loving wireless sync from VZ but it sure does eat up the battery for instant push email.

I am starting to lean to the form factor/battery longevity of the Jam so the decision may be an easy one as the Jam is only GSM.

Decisions, decisions...It's good to have so many options to choose from now...

Mine was with Sprint....CDMA
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

I read somewhere on another form that Mugen Power was working on an extended battery for the 6600. I sent an email to confirm the rumor and this is the response I got.

“Thank you for your email.
    About the extended battery for the XDA III, yes, it is underdevelopment, if everything go smoothly, it will be launched to market around Mid of January 2005.
    Since we sell to wholesaler only, please contact with our customer's web site such as www.pdaparts.com they can reserve the battery for you.”

Overlooking the obvious..

Just in case others are overlooking the obvious as I did...
    I did not have button lock option enabled so while I was carrying my XV6600 in my pocket the light must have been coming on. This was certainly contributing to my battery drain.

By enabling button lock I made it through the day today for the first time withou needing a charge...and 45% battery left to boot.
    Granted it was a light usage day, but it's much much better.

if you need to check your mail every five minutes, you're an excellent candidtate for "push" email services (Xpress Mail on cingular, PCS Business Connection on Sprint, and I forget if/what VZW has)