+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting Socket Wi-Fi SD Card Installed on PPC-6601

I just completed the installation program for the Socket Wi-Fi SD Card on the 6601, and the 6601 displayed the message:

"One or more components of WLAN tools were not found, or there are too few resources available to start the program."

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks.

I second the problem. I've tried installing from software installed from CD and downloaded from the web.

All help appreciated.

- Scott

Yeah, ran into that on the XV6600. Soft reset, insert wireless card after reset, should be fine.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Make sure you have the latest version from the web. The directions say to reset after install with the Card installed. I had no hitches and was up Wifi'ing in a matter of 4 minutes after Fedex rang my door bell.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

What Big Calhoun just said. I ran into this exact same problem and soft rest then inert SDIO fixed it. One question though, I am only at 2 MB/s transfer rate when device and router support 11 MB/s. Any ideas how to increase that? I keep the phone like 12 inches near the router too!

I got it working, however I find that the way to get the device to recognize the socket card is to turn on "flight mode" and do a soft reset.

Do you guys have to do that as well? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks.

Converged Gadget Freak StressPuppy's Avatar
    Once this is all setup and you have done your soft reset and all is right with the world, if you take it out and put it back in again later, do you have any issues?

Originally posted by StressPuppy
    Once this is all setup and you have done your soft reset and all is right with the world, if you take it out and put it back in again later, do you have any issues?
    Not really. Once I got everything working and was able to surf the web, the only other time I ran into the error is when I accidentally clicked on the wireless app w/o the card being inserted. Once I reinserted the card, no problems, no reset needed.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I got the same error message that everyone else did. I did a soft reset, and the error message went away. However, when I get the PPC icon, I hit the turn radio on button and nothing happens ???

What an I missing ?

Heaven Bound
    what are the advantages of having wifi if i have access to internet by regular vzw network?
    Thanks for Your Kind and Courteous Replies

A big one is if you are roaming....roaming no data....no data no internet or email.

The other is with a home network. Nice to have wifi speeds to check stats on a game while sitting on the couch watching it on TV.....or streaming music over the network without having to load it on your SD card.

Just to name a few examples....it is amazing when you have it how many opportunities you find that you can use it.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Question Signal Strength?

What kind of signal strength have you been getting with this card? Is this the optimum wi-fi card for the PPC-6601? Or has anyone tried others? I don't have one of these cards yet, but was thinking about getting one for even higher frame-rate surveillance when in range of an access point.

Is there any interference in the PDA between the Vision and the Wi-fi? For Instance, do you need to deactivate 3G connection before connecting to Wi-Fi?

Sorry for all the ?s just want to make sure I am getting the right thing after the whole Socket SDIO Bluetooth with my old G1000 fiasco.

Thank you
    Michael

http://www.ez-toyz.com/PDA_Remote.shtml
    I can monitor my home and office CCTV surveillance systems through my PDA phone...can you?
    http://www.ez-toyz.com/page.asp?id=5

Some folks also had success with the SanDisk SDIO WiFi card. The general consensus is to stay away from the SanDisk combo WiFi/Memory SDIO card. I haven't seen any success stories with the 6600 or 6601.

Can't comment on range. Really haven't needed the WiFi with unlimited BroadBand Access. Just turned it on a few times to make sure it works.

I'm using the Ambicom wi-fi card in my XV6600. Everything seems to work fine. Reception seems slightly weaker than my other wi-fi devices, but I can use it just fine all over my house and the couple of hotspots I've tried it.

I don't normally use the wi-fi as I live in an ev-do area and there's no noticeable speed difference between them, but I purchased the card in anticipation of a pending trip to Europe - going to try to stay in touch back here with Skype.

I do notice the Ambicom SDIO card gets pretty hot when I use it - do any of you other SDIO wi-fi card users notice this with yours?

Any news on another memory/WIFI card besides the scan disc one. I am waiting for a 512/Wifi card to come out

Yes....the names escapes me at the moment but there are at least two that are suppose to be released 1st quarter this year. They are also rumored to be shorter so they don't stick out as much either.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Heaven Bound
    I have the sandisk 256/wifi card for xv6600. Installed successfully. It connected to my wireless network in home for about 1 minute. After that, I think the phone continued trying to dial in on 3g. 1st question, how do I disable 3g or dial up? 2nd has anyone had success with sandisk 256mb/wifi? Your help is very much appreciated.

xv6600 sandisk wifi

Converged Gadget Freak StressPuppy's Avatar
    Hobbes,

When you remember the names could you post here? I too am looking to buy a wifi card and a working combo would solve all kinds of issues for me.

Kupe - glad to hear the Ambicon works. I have seen it local and it is the same or less than other alternatives. May have to pick one up to hold me over until a workable combo card comes out.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC-6601 -> Sprint PPC-6700 -> Treo 700wx

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Originally posted by StressPuppy
    Kupe - glad to hear the Ambicon works. I have seen it local and it is the same or less than other alternatives. May have to pick one up to hold me over until a workable combo card comes out.
    My thinking exactly.

Heaven Bound
    I returned sandisk 256/wifi could not get it to work anymore.

xv6600