+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helpo!!! XV6600 on the way. What do I do FIRST?

My XV6600 is due to arrive anytime in the next hour. I keep watching for the fed ex truck to turn the corner.

I am converging from a 3 year old samsung b/w dumb handset. I have absolutely no idea what to do first with this new phone.

Can anyone suggest some quick thoughts:

1) What do I do out of the box? (immediately put it on the charger and not even turn it on for 8 hours?)

2) How do I activate it? (Have to wait until it is charged?)

3) How do I switch my old Sprint number to it (now VZN)?

4) How do I activate the EV-DO?

5) How do I synch it to my laptop (I do not have BT on my old IBM A20P). Is there a cable for synching it to the computer?

6) When can I play with it? I am dying to surf the web with the EV-DO.

7) Where do I buy these SDIO memory cards cheaply?

( Should I get a SDIO wi-fi/memory combo card?

Sorry for sounding so dumb. I am so excited, I can't sit down. But, without the above, I will just stare at the box. Or...like my father's little sex talk he gave me years ago..."just do what comes naturally."

Thanks for your help.

Re: Helpo!!! XV6600 on the way. What do I do FIRST?

Originally posted by GadgetLuvR
    My XV6600 is due to arrive anytime in the next hour. I keep watching for the fed ex truck to turn the corner.

I am converging from a 3 year old samsung b/w dumb handset. I have absolutely no idea what to do first with this new phone.

Can anyone suggest some quick thoughts:

1) What do I do out of the box? (immediately put it on the charger and not even turn it on for 8 hours?)

>>Plug the travel charger into the Dongle that connects to the 6600 and let it charge until the green light comes on. Then its probably safe to call and activate it. Then continue to charge it while you look it over.

2) How do I activate it? (Have to wait until it is charged?)

3) How do I switch my old Sprint number to it (now VZN)?

>>Call VZN CS with all your SPCS billing details, they should be able to handle this when you call to activate.

4) How do I activate the EV-DO?

>>As above if available in your area, it should come up. Some have had to do a PRL update to get the EVDO up and working. Ask CS.

5) How do I synch it to my laptop (I do not have BT on my old IBM A20P). Is there a cable for synching it to the computer?

>> USB Cradle will synch by wire with Active Sync.

6) When can I play with it? I am dying to surf the web with the EV-DO.

7) Where do I buy these SDIO memory cards cheaply?

( Should I get a SDIO wi-fi/memory combo card?

>> No. Hobbes reported on Treocentral that he was unable to get a combo card to work on the 6601. Your experience may well be different as this VZN device MAY have updated versions of software, but its a risk. If you do, make sure you have return privileges on the card.

Sorry for sounding so dumb. I am so excited, I can't sit down. But, without the above, I will just stare at the box. Or...like my father's little sex talk he gave me years ago..."just do what comes naturally."

Thanks for your help.

1. Stick it in the charger
    2. Go to verizonwireless.com, log in to your account, and in the lower right of the page will be a link for activation. Self explanatory from there. Or call up VzW from a lan line.
    3. Speak to VzW about it.
    4. After you activate it to your account, there should be a little "EV" at the top. If not, dial *22899 and that should take care of it.
    5. Cradle has a usb sync connection. If you already have AS, you're good to go. If not, load up active sync from the CD.
    6. Whenever you have a good charge. I would let it charge for a little while first, though. The first charge loses quickly if it isn't charged for "awhile", according to some on these boards.
    7. SDIO cards are cheap, available anywhere, and cheapest on the web. Buy the biggest one you can afford. Currently 1GB cards can be gotten for about $75.
    8. Only get wifi if you really need it.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Originally posted by mwfielder

7. SDIO cards are cheap, available anywhere, and cheapest on the web. Buy the biggest one you can afford. Currently 1GB cards can be gotten for about $75.
    where can you buy one?

Re: Helpo!!! XV6600 on the way. What do I do FIRST?

Thanks for your help.
    LOL!!! I still remember my talk..."You see how we walk around naked around here...you don't want to do that. Don't think about sex until you're married. OK? Is your homework done?"

No BS...that was about how it went...lol!!!!

1st thing I did was test all of the features while it was charging. Instead of using the cradle, just attached the tip to the charger. Made a test call, sent a test text mesage, attempted to connect to Internet.

Charging wise, I got the green light after about 3 hours. I also charged it with the tip and not in the cradle. Some threads indicate charging in the cradle takes longer.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Well, I got it, after going to where Fed Ed delivered it to the wrong address. What bums. It was a few blocks away.

Anyway, it is charging with the travel charger. I have looked around a bit, and am so impressed.

I hit the voice recorder button and it recorded something that I don't know how to delete. I went to the files explorer and it says I can't delete the file due to a sharing violation. huh?

I cannot activate it yet because I am waiting for the number port to complete. Sprint finished their end yesterday, but VZN still says it is in process.

Even without activating the phone yet, I got the EV at the top immediately. That was the first thing I noticed.

My main battery is fully charged, but the NiMH back up batter is a very slow charger...at only 75% now (2 hours), and it hasn't moved in a while. Maybe the main one charges first (it just finished) and now the juice will go to the back up battery.

Anyway, I am still waiting on my text msg from VZN saying my number is ported and I am good to go. What an agonizing wait. I guess I will go to lunch, then work, then come home to see what has happened. I don't want to unplug it now since the NiMh battery is not charged.

All the reports about the memory of the batteries say don't worry, it is now Lithium...oh, but only one of them is lithium, it is the back-up that worries me.

The phone is solid, though. But, I think I should add the insurance now that I see the whole thing.

Originally posted by xxplosive
    where can you buy one?
    If you are a member then www.costco.com has the 1gb cards

Sweet thanks

The phone is solid, though. But, I think I should add the insurance now that I see the whole thing.
    Definitely get the insurance!

Sorry I didn't notice above that you didn't have VzW yet. Hope everything is going smoothly. Hard to wait, isn't it?
    Jeremiah 29:11

Gadget where you located?

Atlanta.

I got it, spent the day getting my number ported from Sprint. Seems Sprint dropped the ball once more. But, now it is done.

I had to figure out how to set up an email account to send and receive email. I have bellsouth.net fast access. They use port 25 for outgoing server, which is blocked if you are not on the bellsouth network. So, I had to use bellsouth.net as the incoming server and VZN (who doesn't have incoming server email) has a vtext service they set up and you can use it to receive and push your email out to you. There is no way to use the actual email client without the active sync since I can't seem to find a simple two-way email account.

Does hotmail, gmail, or yahoo have full service POP3 accounts? I wonder their charges. I would like to lose the bellsouth account, but if I don't have another ISP email account, then I am stuck. Any ideas?

The phone is AWESOME.

gmail has free "full service" pop3 mail. It works great on my i6.

Size does matter.

Now, how am I going to carry this phone/DA? Is is a bit too big for my pockets, and the case that came with it is cheesy. Is there a case that can protect the scrren and give me access to the buttons that I can slide it out of when I want to type?

I keep hitting the buttons and turning it on. I don't know how to map the lockout to a key, or map the rotation to a key, yet. I have a lot to learn.

EV-DO is sizzling. I will check my speeds later tonight. I have not eaten a bite today. Nothing. I ran both landline phone batteries dead on Sprint and Bellsouth CS.

VZN CS ROCKS. I got so much help, very patient, very knowldgeable and they refused to give up until it was working right. Once my landphone went dead and VZN called me right back to continue. Sprint would NEVER give such quality support.

Look under buttons I think under system. As I recall, there are settings under to set the side button (Media Button) to rotate the scree.
    There is a button lock, but I can't remember where it is. You simply check a box to lock the buttons when you hit the power button to turn off the screen. That's the only way I found but it works fine. Phone will light the screen if you have it off and a call comes in.

Enjoy,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Size does matter.

Now, how am I going to carry this phone/DA? Is is a bit too big for my pockets, and the case that came with it is cheesy. Is there a case that can protect the scrren and give me access to the buttons that I can slide it out of when I want to type?

I keep hitting the buttons and turning it on. I don't know how to map the lockout to a key, or map the rotation to a key, yet. I have a lot to learn.

EV-DO is sizzling. I will check my speeds later tonight. I have not eaten a bite today. Nothing. I ran both landline phone batteries dead on Sprint and Bellsouth CS.

VZN CS ROCKS. I got so much help, very patient, very knowldgeable and they refused to give up until it was working right. Once my landphone went dead and VZN called me right back to continue. Sprint would NEVER give such quality support.
    - It's not exactely the easiest thing to carry...and you're right, the included slipper is crap. I've been switching back and forth between the slipper and my Ipaq case. The Samsung i700 is a very close fit and I believe someone posted they bought a case for that phone and it works fine with the XV6000.

- There is a an option in settings to lock the buttons to prevent the power from coming on.

- One piece of advice, there is also an option to turn off IR. The option says "accept all incoming beams' and by default it is on. Worded that way, I take it that IR is always active unless that feature is unchecked. I unchecked it yesterday and hopefully will get an idea today of improvements to battery life.

Good luck with your unit!! Despite the BT connectivity...I'm loving it!!!
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Seems to me subjectively, that battery life GOT BETTER after a few days use of the device. Now it may be that I finally optimized the settings to conserve power or maybe I quit diddling with the device all day long, but battery was quite useable in my experience. A second battery and car charger is a must I would think.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Striving for Understanding novuslotus's Avatar
    Gadgetluvr (or anyone else who has recently ordered/purchased an XV), could you tell me how long it took from when you ordered your XV to when it arrived on your doorstep? And how or from where did you order it?

I'll be returning to the Atlanta area within a week and a half, and I didn't know whether or not I should order it by phone ahead of time, wait and show up at a Verizon store and get one on the spot, or order it from a store once I get there.

What do you recommend if I hope to have it in my hands as soon as possible when I get back to Atlanta in 1.5 weeks? Should I call them up right now or wait 'til I get back?

My experience was 2 business days -- maximum. This is the same amount of time needed for every phone I've ever ordered from VZW. I ordered my phone while I was in a hotel and got it the next day.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Well I ordered my by phone on Wednesday---and as of Friday they couldn't even tell me if the order was being filled. Only thing customer service said was they will email the guy I ordered it through (another customer service guy...so why can't anyone take care of the research???) and he will call me with status. Of course, no call. I did go into the store and evidently no area stores have them in stock. The guy taking care of me tried to place the order and then came back to tell me they are not in stock in their warehouse, so he would place the order on monday if it was available and call me. He didn't call...I called there on tuesday...he wasn't there and nobody could help me and I was told it was impossible to accomplish this with the store over the phone (except the guy at store said this is how we could do it). Anyway, they have to order it for you and either it will be delivered to store or customer--whatever you choose. Now that I've finally ordered it with telephone order to customer service number, I am very anxious to get it into my hands....and seems I still don't know how long it will be.
    Audiovox xv6600 w/camera
    Verizon

Originally posted by Beryl
    My experience was 2 business days -- maximum. This is the same amount of time needed for every phone I've ever ordered from VZW. I ordered my phone while I was in a hotel and got it the next day.
    When I ordered mine tonight at the VZW store, the agent arranged for Saturday delivery, so I can have it before I leave for my trip. I'll admit to some small scepticism -- mainly I'm trying not to get my hopes up! -- but I'll be very happy if they pull it off.

More importantly, he said that if it were not delivered before I left town, he would consider the 15 days to start when I returned from my trip and actually started using the phone. Obviously, I'm hoping not to need to return the phone, but if I'm spending this kind of money, I want to protect myself a bit.