+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Samsung SCH-i730woc

Possibly program incompatability: Calligrapher

All,

I have an initial observation that may or may not be simply a lone software title.

I received my XV6600 (Verizon) last night and installed everything I had in my pre-existing WM2003 PDA onto it. When I went to actually play with the device, the touchscreen stopped working after about 10 seconds consistently.

This morning I hard reset the device and have been adding one program at a time to determine the cause. It seems that installation of Calligrapher is causing touch screen issues. I am not sure if it is linked to another installed program, but upon restore of a backup without Calligrapher, the problem has gone away.

Will check into it with Phatware.

Has anybody gotten Calligrapher to work with this unit?

I could not get CalliGrapher 7.3 or 7.4 to work either. Once installed, it would never allow the CalliGrapher input method to be selected (always went back to keyboard). I did not notice any screen issues, however.

Samsung SCH-i730woc
    I had the same response, so I changed the setting to use the native touchpad driver (not sure what it was called specifically).

Anybody have any idea what is NOT wiped when a hard reset is performed. I would like to be able to test the software, but since even backups seem to not recover the corruption caused by Calligrapher I am hesitant.

I have had very similar problems and I have been trying to contact Phatware multiple times for over a month now!!

They won't respond to my requests.
    If anyone knows how to get the word out in a way they will see atleast we might get a response from them.

Samsung SCH-i730woc
    Hey, I did get a response from them:

"Check this:

In the registry entry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
    change value for the DriverName string to touch.dll (unless it is already
    touch.dll) then soft-reset the device.

Let me know if that works after you install Calligrapher."

Worked like a charm for me...Calligrapher works now as it is supposed to.

Calligrapher

I had, like apparently many of you, problems getting Calligrapher up and going. However today I got a potential temporary fix from PhatWare support.
    Download ver 7.3 at

ftp://frp.phatware.com/download

For Some reason it works! PhatWare is not exactly sure why but they are investigating.

Re: Calligrapher

So go with 7.3 instead of 7.4?

Originally posted by jcrompton
    I had, like apparently many of you, problems getting Calligrapher up and going. However today I got a potential temporary fix from PhatWare support.
    Download ver 7.3 at

ftp://frp.phatware.com/download

For Some reason it works! PhatWare is not exactly sure why but they are investigating.

Didn't work for me. I still can't select Calligrapher as my input method.

Originally posted by coverthawk
    Hey, I did get a response from them:

"Check this:

In the registry entry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
    change value for the DriverName string to touch.dll (unless it is already
    touch.dll) then soft-reset the device.

Let me know if that works after you install Calligrapher."

Worked like a charm for me...Calligrapher works now as it is supposed to.

Thumbs up I got Calligrapher 7.4 to work.......

Hey All,

I I got Calligrapher 7.4 to work on my Verizon XV6600.

I went into the registry and made the change noted above - but that alone did not get it to work.

I had to go into the settings and actually go into the Calligrapher Settings and uncheck the "Use Native Touch Screen Driver". I also went int ot he Calligrapher Config Manager and told it to start calligrapher after a soft reset.

I then went into the input settings panel nd chose Calligrapher.

Not sure which part of this seem to have made the program work....but I can at least go into it now and actually use the software....and have not had it lock up.

Hope this is of help.
    Dmode

I had to do baasically the same thing to get ver 7.3 working but I had not tried the "use native ...." yrt.
    I'll try ver 7.4 again.
    The start Callig after soft reset is key to getting it working consistently

Well, I followed the instructions fully... Calligrapher worked, but slowed my system to a crawl, to put it mildly. I removed the program, all is good again.

Anyone know if I should revert the registry file back the way it was prior to change? I guess I should have copied it down somewhere, huh?

Help! I uninstalled Calligrapher 7.4 (made might device slow to a crawl, after all the fixes.) now my transcriber (that came in the phone) won't work at all!

Any suggestion?

Me again. I got an 'official' reply from Phatware... it's not good...

"I am very sorry! It happens from time to time, and there is really nothing you can do about it. The simpler way - backup data and hard reset.
    You may also try to install Calligrapher again, install CgrSwitch routine from Calligrapher Resource Kit (free, downloadable), and switch between Calligrapher and Transcriber.
    CRK is for version 6.x, but it should work with version 7.x as well.
    You will have to keep Calligrapher there if you chooses this way. I know that when Calligrapher is uninstalled, Transcriber settings should be restored automatically. Once in a while it does not happen. I wish I knew why. I am sorry!

So, no warning on the website of this KNOWN (to them) issue. Their trial might reqire a hard reset once uninstalled, and the only way to get around a hard reset is to BUY their software...

Amazing...

SWAP...Bummer

Although I feel your pain (which all PC's can bring about sometimes), I really like Phatware products. I use Phatnotes Pro for all my documention & PhatPad all the time and never carry a pen and paper to meetings anymore...

That being said, I would like to install Calligrapher to use but have heard from several that it really slows down the PPC, and in some cases doesn't work (besides SWAP's problem). Is this true? Anybody understand why?

Any assistance is appreciated...
    "Put on God's whole armor, that you may be able successfully to stand up against the strategies and the deceits of the devil"

Ep. 6:11

Calligrapher worked, but it slowed everything down... very noticebly. And the actual program was very slow. unusable. Which is why I uninstalled.

I found this on their website. They don't tell you that this isn't 100% true,..

** CalliGrapher can be installed on devices with Microsoft Transcriber already in ROM. When you install CalliGrapher on Pocket PC 2002/2003/2003SE, it will replace Microsoft Transcriber. The original Transcriber settings will be restored, when CalliGrapher is uninstalled from the Pocket PC.

It should say, the transcriber MIGHT be restored.
    Last edited by Swap; 01-27-2005 at 06:54 AM.

Calligrapher sucks anyway. The recognition is no better and at times worse than the built in one, it slow the system down terribly, and worst of all they make you pay for upgrades.

There are actually a few free jotting softwares out there, but personally I am pretty happy with the built in stuff.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Okay, this is what I did. I installed Callig 7.3 trial (I had installed the 7.4 trial). Then I uninstalled it (after playing with the program for a minute, see if any change from 7.4, couldn't get it to work... ) and presto... transcriber was back...

Weird.

That's too bad that it doesn't work and slows things down. I have an eariler version from my Ipaq, and was thinking of upgrading to the newest version to use with Phatnotes (which I use daily and it works really well for hand-written notes, drawings, etc. and is email friendly)...

I do agree that the early versions of Callig never really worked for me, or I did not want to "learn" how to write with it...(similarily I never really learned Graffitti back in my brief Palm days, but many people i know can write pretty darn fast with it...)

Oh well...maybe someday they will get it right!

I wonder why it sucks so much processor power?
    "Put on God's whole armor, that you may be able successfully to stand up against the strategies and the deceits of the devil"

Ep. 6:11

Calligrapher 7.4 on XV6600?

I loaded the latest Calligrapher on my new XV6600 last night, but now I'm getting consistent touch screen lock ups about every 10 seconds, requiring a soft reset. I tried setting it to 'Native Touch Screen' driver but that didn't help. I uninstalled Calligrapher and the problem went away. I submitted a tech support request to Phatware and am awaiting a reply.

Anyone else seen this, or has anyone been successful with Calligrapher and the XV6600? Thanks. -Jay

There are a few settings to play with on the 6600 to make the software work. If you do a search for Calligrapher (i'd tell you what to do, but I don't know it off the top of my head..) you'll find the instructions. That said, once I adjusted the settings, Caligrapher never ran well... it slowed the system, was inaccurate etc. I realized the transcriber and other apps included with the device in rom worked just fine... I got rid of Caligrapher.