+ Reply to Thread
    Total and Utter PocketPC NEWB

Exclamation MAJOR problem with Mail client on vzw XV6600

OK. My first major problem with my xv6600 and I've already spoken to both VZW Data Tech support and Audiovox tech (Smitty at VZW conferenced them in, PROPS to him).

I run my own IMAPS server. Secure IMAP is a necessary precaution these days. The problem is that the Pocket Outlook that comes installed on the xv6600 doesn't allow for separate servers for sending and receiving. I can access the IMAPS server at home, but then when I try to send (since there's no SMTP server at home) it can't find the server.

When I called VZW Data Tech, Smitty had me try to setup the Wireless Sync system that Verizon is providing. Half way through the setup on the web, I came to a realization. Wireless Sync doesn't provide a configuration option for Secure connections. You can change the default port to connect to, but without encryption, the server rejects the request. I told Smitty that providing a Secure option might be important to small business users. If not on the client (which I know is possible because my TMobile Pocket PC Phone Edition did it), then through the Wireless Sync system.

It's gonna kill me to abandon Pocket Outlook for a third party email client since it's a total waste of space (till we start burning our own ROMs ). However, does anyone have any suggestions for an email client that can do two things simultaneously: 1. Access IMAPS, and 2. Use seperate servers and auth info for sending and receiving ?

You can try WebIS Mail. It is about as good as it gets right now on the PPC. I'll warn you, their IMAP is not that robust as of yet but it is getting better. It will support (sort of) SSL IMAP with different IMAP4/POP3 and SMTP server settings.

Yes I've found WebIS Mail. Seems to work great over EVDO, but the forums indicate a mixed response. Can't figure out how to get it to store the self-signed cert my server uses so I don't have to accept it every time. And I NEED a Today panel. So far so good otherwise.

The weird part is I SWEAR the TMobile could do it.

Senile @ 31?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Store the self-signed cert via download "addrootcert" from microsoft.

Webis is a piece of crap, but it is good for what you want.

One day there will be an IMAP-compliant client for the PPC that handles multiple levels of folders (no, "2" is not the magic maximum)

Until then, you can create two accounts on Pocket Outlook, one for reading email, and one for sending email. You just have to remember when hitting reply,etc, so switch the service from "imap that works" to 'smtp that works'.

Ehud

Yeah, and don’t forget to change back to the account you read with otherwise auto delivery will try to get email from the active account. Totally useless for serious reliable email if you ask me. If you get a text message and forget to go back to your email (POP3) account after reading the text message, don’t expect to get any email. This pushed me away from the PPC for now.

Joe

vzw wireless sync uses AES encryption

just to let you know, there IS encryption for wireless sync. I have had my xv6600 for 3 days and i setup wireless sync on the first day. I purchased it because it HAD encryption. I waited to hear from tech support on that before i made the purchase. Otherwize i would have stayed with my blackberry until encryption was available. so now. im trying to get exchange 2003 activesync up and running but i have 3 problems. no encryption, no registered dns name on the internet, no way to control the port fowarding through the parent companies router.

im stuck using GoodLink ($1600/year) or the free verizon wireless sync software (which by the way, i think it sucks)

I have no problems at all with the VZN wireless sync. It only pushes out when I have a new message, or it pushes out immediately when I send out a message. What more could you ask for? Why would it need to push every 3 minutes if it knows nothing is there?

I dont know. I think wireless sync is too sketchy. First off. i dont like the idea of www.wirelesssync.vzw.com having a copy of my mailbox on their server. Second. wierd things have occured. Like my appointments are fine but my REOCCURING APPOINTMENTS are now triple for each occurance. my notes have gone screwy. some are outlook notes, some are pda notes with voice recordings and some outlook notes have been converted?! i can't tell when email is being sent or when it isnt! i sent an email to a friend yesterday afternoon wishing her a happy birthday (since outlook and my hand held told me it was her birthday 3 times) and i got an automated reply from her mail server at 3 AM saying shes out of the office right now! the batt life TOTALLY SUCKS with wireless sync ALWAYS on.
    i have a feeling the triple appointments are due to my wireless sync conflicting with active sync on the desktop. I realized my mistake and told active sync to ONLY sync my mobile favs, and files. so now wireless sync is doiing the email, calendar, notes, contacts.

thats why i sketchy on it and i would much rather have goodlink (too expensive for one user) or ms exchange 2003 active sync. (not encrypted and requires a FRONT END EXCHANGE SERVER or an exhcange server with a public DNS record)

Speaking of encrypted ActiveSync... **edit** actually I'm going to start another thread about it.

Exchange Active Sync w/SSL

We have the Exchange active sync running and are using our ssl cert to connect. When I set up the PPC I checked off use SSL for connection - (in one instane I forgot to load the root cert on the PPC and could not connect) - and all is working well.

Is this what you are referring to?