+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips And Tricks

Tips And Tricks

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums and have just received my Sprint ppc-6601. I thought it would be good to have a thread that would contain all of the tips and tricks that have been learned to make owning this great PDA/PHONE even better (especially for newbies like me).

I found out that if you are in the settings area, you can navigate between tabs by hitting the "tab" key once and then using the navigation pad scroll left or right. (Most of you probably already know that).

What have you learned that you can share with us?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Last edited by Jesterhs; 12-14-2004 at 05:53 PM.

By the way... I just tried the demo of Atomic Cannon from PocketGear and it is great. Just like the original artillery game in the old days where you have to choose the angle and power to hit the other tank.

Not totally relevant to the thread, but what an addictive game!

Atomic Cannon
    Last edited by Jesterhs; 12-14-2004 at 05:24 PM.

Administrator
    you have the 6601 not the 6600... the "00" is the cam version..

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    you have the 6601 not the 6600... the "00" is the cam version..
    Thanks. I guess that was subconcious wishful thinking!!

Originally posted by Jesterhs
    By the way... I just tried the demo of Atomic Cannon from PocketGear and it is great. Just like the original artillery game in the old days where you have to choose the angle and power to hit the other tank.

Not totally relevant to the thread, but what an addictive game!

Atomic Cannon
    An excellent game! Just like "Scorched Earth" (the old PC game...) but better!
    John

XV6600 Tip

IR is on by default to accept all incoming beams. If you don't use IR, you can probably save a little battery life by disabling it:

Settings -> Connections -> Beam
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Streaming Audio

GS Player from GreenSoftware works great for streaming audio from Shoutcast. You can download the links directly from PIE and load then up into a playlist.

Question Brand New User/vx6600- Tips???

I realize you all are busy and do not want to re-post items. I did a search on new set-ups, etc and came up empty.

I am moving from Treo600 to this unit and have zero experience with the OS and normal setup.

Does anyone have any interest in pointing out the usual setup / startup procedures, such as:
    -confirming latest ROM update.
    -latest BT profile.
    -immediate "first things" to do stuff.
    -"mandatory" software installs.
    -etc, etc, etc.

I realize there is a learning curve and I am not focusing on issues like ringtones, etc. I am trying to determine how to setup properly from the beginning so I don't have to go backwards and start all over or miss critical components. Not only am I trying to move years of Palm data into this, but I have the added burden of likely moving my wife off of her Treo600 to the VX as well. Lots of work ahead of me.

Your help and comments are much appreciated from someone who simply MARVELS at the vast differences between the vx6600 and a Treo600. It is not even night and day--- it is like the jedi council versus the knights at the roundtable. Well... anyway... you know what I mean.

Its called an FAQ

FAQ for the xv6600/PPC-660x

Its sticky.. you did read it right?

Byron

Yes, thank you. Read it, but there could always be more... No harm, no foul.

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar
    Welcome to the light side of the force young padwan... and welcome to pdaphonehome and vx6600.

Pocket pc's are very versatile and infinately configureable. It would help us to answer your question to know what you specifically want to do with your phone.

latest rom updates and bt profile updates are listed in the FAQs.

First thing I would do is install a utility that allows you to close apps instead of just push them to the background. I like SPB Pocket Plus for that. It also has a host of other features that are pretty good to have. It would also be a good idea to get a backup program... Many here like Sprite pocket backup.
    Last edited by jaderaven; 03-18-2005 at 11:54 AM.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

Thanks so much jaderaven! I am a long time Palm OS user and consider myself a power user on that platform. I want to get to that level here as well. I am hoping to really customize the unit to my liking and almost always go with an enhanced app to replace the default ones.

I am looking at AF or PI for the agenda functions. Certainly want an app to customize and power enable the Today screen. Desperately hoping to find a workable e-mail solution, ala Snappermail. I can live w/o Push e-mail, haven't had it anyway, but crave something clean and elegant like Snapper for work e-mail. Will start with POut and then check WebIS. Like to add fun features like personal databases, music and photos. "Hacks" (from my Palm pre-OS5 days) that provide useful shortcuts, etc.

Any cool utilities like the one you mentioned above are also highly sought after. Feel free to keep the suggestions flowing.

I came from palm as well. Welcome to the darkside young Vader. (jaderaven how can you call M$ the light side?) I've said this in about 4 posts but since you ask, the one program that flipped me over completely is Microsoft Voice Command. You couldn't beat the one handedness of the treo until I got VC. Now I call it just as good because I can get to everything I need with one button push.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Oh yes, have been reading about that and will add that to the list. I heard it is beyond outraegous.

Palm is very nice, serves me well, but I love gadgets and feel like I have outgrown it some time ago. This OS and device seem to be on a totally new level and it is time to make the leap--- I think and hope.

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar
    Originally posted by IvanLasston
    I came from palm as well. Welcome to the darkside young Vader. (jaderaven how can you call M$ the light side?) I've said this in about 4 posts but since you ask, the one program that flipped me over completely is Microsoft Voice Command. You couldn't beat the one handedness of the treo until I got VC. Now I call it just as good because I can get to everything I need with one button push.
    Sorry... point taken.

I love MS VC as well. It is an awesome app.

I recommend switching the base calender and contacts to Pocket Informant. It is much better. You can read about it here: http://ssl.webis.net/product_info.ph...97d821cbc26069

Just started playing around, but Voice Command is near GOD like. Holy sh*t!!!

Seriously though, this OS is a major change from Palm OS. Lots to learn and I am just winging it.

Thanks for all the help and plz keep it coming.

Jeff...I'm new to PPC myself but let me say you are in the right place. The resources here are unreal. I can share a couple things with you...

1. Thunderhawk, Thunderhawk, Thunderhawk...an incredible web browser that will knock your socks off. Great support. too.
    2. Make sure you try WebIS mail before purchasing. I found it to be buggy and I wasn't at all happy with it. In the end, I made Outlook work for me.
    3. Not an app, but invest in WriteShields. I got mine from PCTechs. They are pricey but super quality.
    4. I'm a big fan of the USB/Travel charger I got from Boxwave.
    5. BT headsets...I like my Akono HBH-600 okay but I wish it were louder.

Hope this helps some.