+ Reply to Thread

SMS displays "FROM" field as 6245.

I am currently having a problem with my Text messaging on the 6600. If I send an email to MYNUMBER@vtext.com , I will receive the text message but the FROM field shows up as 6245 and the subject is blank <…>. The proper From address and the Subject show up in the message body of the of the text message (along with the actual text message) In addition, if the Text message is longer than a few lines, It will split the message into 2 separate SMS messages. The first message will show up as 6245 and the second will come in from 0000, will not have a subject, and the message body will contain the remainder of the SMS message. I was getting the same results regardless of if I sent the text message via my exchange server, yahoo account or even by using the Verizon website. Text messages sent from another phone do not seem to have this problem. My cell phone doubles as a pager, so the Text messaging is an important feature for me to have working.
    I am a former I700 user and never had this problem. I should also mention, I tried out the 6600 in December and had the same problem, At that time I worked with multiple techs over a period of 4 days without finding a solution. Due to the battery life issues I was experiencing, I decided to send the phone back and go back to my i700. The initial case was therefore closed without a resolution. With the new extended battery reported to be around the corner and the tips I read about maximizing the battery life, I decided to give the phone another try. This morning I received my new phone and had the exact same SMS problem. I ended up working with multiple technicians over a period of 3 hours. They double checked my account settings, confirmed firmware, and ran some basic tests. Eventually I was told they were going to try and duplicate the issue in house and would get back to me. Late this afternoon, they left me a voice mail on my work number basically stating that Audiovox informed them this was an issue with the OS and that there were no plans in resolving the problem.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any clue on how to resolve it? If this is truly normal operation, do we get charged for 2 text messages in the situation I described above? If your not experiencing this problem, can you please reply to this thread stating so. I am just trying to get as much “ammo” as I can before I respond back to verizon’s update. Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Me Too

I have a Sprint PPC 6601 and see the same error...all incoming text messages come as 6245 and the subject is the body and the text is removed...I manage servers and typically get many text alerts for service issues...this has been extremely aggrevating.

Dragon

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I switched from an i700 to xv6600.
    Same exact behavior.

E

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    6245 spells MAIL on a phone keyboard.

It appears the 6600 phone was designed to handle SMS / Text Messaging a bit different than the i700. I don't know if it has to do with SE, but I believe it does.

Because the message is over 160 characters (including the from address), it is split into two messages. The second message (0000) is the continuation of the first message.

As for being charged twice... I would bet the answer is yes. The cost is 2 cents for every incoming text message (10 cents to send) on the Verizon network.

Can you send TAP messages from whatever is paging you? I believe the 660x can receive TAP messages.

It appears to be a limitation to the WM2003se - for more fun, of course, you can't respond to it, nor can you send SMS to an email address...
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

You can't reply to a regular mail Text Message with SMS. However if another SMS customer sent a direct message, you can reply. It's just that SMS and EMAIL don't use the same protocol or servers.

You can send SMS messgaes to another cell phone, a digtal/text pager or any other type of device like that, but not to an email address. You'll need SMTP for that.

I received a callback from Verizon today regarding the SMS issue. They basically reiterated the problem was with Microsoft 2003se and that they (Verizon) basically wash there hands of it and were closing my case. I asked the technician if I would be charged for 2 SMS messages if the message was split into 2, and he informed me I needed to speak to customer service. Now what? Is there a 3rd party SMS utility I could use instead?

Originally posted by JohnBecker
    You can't reply to a regular mail Text Message with SMS. However if another SMS customer sent a direct message, you can reply. It's just that SMS and EMAIL don't use the same protocol or servers.

You can send SMS messgaes to another cell phone, a digtal/text pager or any other type of device like that, but not to an email address. You'll need SMTP for that.
    Prior to WM2003SE, the message would come from the original email sender (RFC822 EFROM or REPLY-TO header).
    The subject line would be the original subject line.

You could then actually click REPLY, only you had to change the Service from SMS to one of the valid IMAP/SMTP or POP/SMTP accounts.

This made it really easy to forward all email to SMS, and the first 160 characters of subject+body would show up. If I wanted to reply, I could , just by changing service to "Login", my ISP. (login.com).

Under WM2003SE, the subject is blank, and the sender is useless, meaning that the message is not only unreplyable, but can't be skimmed by subject, and is often broken into two parts to make up for the additional length introduced by adding the 6245 FROM field.

Microsoft hasn't called to ask me if that's a step backward, but if they do, I will answer yes.

Ehud

While we're on that topic...

If you SEND a text message to 6245 with an empty subject, and in which the body contains:
    to@address.here (subject to use) body of message

It will be delivered as email coming from your "user@vtext.com" alias if you have one, or number@vtext.com if you don't

Ehud

Yeah I to use this device to be contacted for emgencies via txt/email and its pretty annoying that if someone send an email to the phonenumber@messaging... that it shows the 6245 instead of their real email to reply to. Is here possibly a registry hack to fix this?

Happily Converged
    Hopefully somebody will find a hack/solution for this.

My corporate voice mail sends me a text message whenever I get a voice mail message. It includes the caller ID of the caller and other info.

The message fit perfectly on my 7135, but breaks into two messages on my xv6600 because the from line becomes part of the body and therefore part of the character count.

Is there setting to NOT deliver the subsequent parts of messages that are too long?

You need to find out what provider handles this feature for your corporation. Most likely your phone is an individual account with customizable options for your specific messaging preferences. The company proably has all users defaulted under one specific notification category. I have a similar service from www.Dictomail.com and I can program different messaging options for all of the different individuals in my address book, or have tem just go under the umbrella defaults. At the very least find out what the pin code is for your account if thats possible.

Anyone else figure out how to get rid of the 6245 thing?
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Use RICoder's program.

E

Ok Ehud... you'll have to be a bit more specific. What program did RICoder write that fixes this issue? And where's the link?

You registered in 2003. At any time between then and now did you use "Search"?

SMSPro Public Beta is open

E

Yup... once or twice

But I wasn't sure what I was looking for. You didn't say it was SMSPro. Thanks ... now I know

You're welcome. I apologize that for my lack of clarity. I take great pride in being helpful, and I'm truly sorry that I my suggestion was insufficient.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect if you searched for "6245" and "RICoder" it might have gotten you something like this:
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...der=descending

Ehud

I was going to chime in, but I guess I don't have to...ok, I will anyway.

6245 is the incoming and outgoing code for e-mail SMS. Incoming messages have a text body that begins with the e-mail address of the sender followed by a space and the rest of the text message. Outgoing is basically the same.

This is the case for all US carriers that I have encountered.

SMSPro handles this well...and there is a new Beta drop this week.</gratuitous plug>
    Grab the latest beta of SMSPro!

http://www.pocketmonkey.net...put a monkey in your pocket!