+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Boxwave versacharger

I ordered a versacharger, airplane charger and minisync cable from boxwave. I received my order in 2 days with the standard USPS shipping. This setup is great. I can charge my 6601 at any computer through USB and when I'm out waiting for planes to arrive I use the lighter adaptor in the van (down by the river). When I get home I plug the same unit into the wall. The minisync cable looks fragile but it is very portable.
    I put this on top of my needed accessories list.

Lol I thought the stuff was chincy.
    Im bitter, why cant I get a VGA pda phone phone with a high speed data carrier in the US? is that to much to ask?

I have the same setup, and it DOES work, which is very cool. That said, I think the versacharger charges from AC VERY slowly ... in fact, so slowly that if I'm using the phone as a bluetooth modem that the charging doesn't keep up with the power usage. In addition, the versacharger is not apparently UL listed. I have asked Boxwave about both these issues and received no reply.

Meanwhile, the PocketPCTechs LilSync cable (which I also have) is a far more substantial cable than the BoxWave Minisync.

Bob

It works but is just chincy and it does charge slow, but I think thats a USB issue, since the AC is still a USB charger.
    Im bitter, why cant I get a VGA pda phone phone with a high speed data carrier in the US? is that to much to ask?

Alcatraz Island, San Francisco, California
    Please define chincy.

If you mean it feels cheap, then I guess it is different then the other usb retractable cables I have played with. They all felt fragile, or like they should be handled with care but that is because the cables were so thin. The thin cables are necessary to keep the unit small. Kind of a catch 22.

There is no way to make the unit charge any faster, of course it is going to charge slower from AC then the native charger. The reason is because USB can only provide 6v DC of power. When you plug it in to the AC Adapter it converts 110 AC to 6v DC so that it seems to emulate a USB cable without active datalines. The same is true for the cla.

The ipod charges through the USB cable but the AC Adapter works on the firewire cable. Somehow they use this to charge the unit faster and it is significantly faster.

I have the versacharger too...

....and have been happy with it, but it will break eventually as it is not "high end" stuff, but it works well for now.

For me the name of the game is to charge as often and as frequently as possible. I charge in the car, I charge at work via usb, and I charge at home at night with USB again. It is slow, but my goal is to avoid depletion and it is plenty fast for that....

Where can I get an additional home charger?

USB charging is too slow. I am planning to invest in a bunch of home chargers so that I have it at the different locations that I travel to. I already bought a few tips, but now I need to buy the wall chargers.

Which website sells the wall chargers?

Thanks.

I only use the Versa for travel - and only for car charge and overnight hotel charge. Now that I am using the 2200 batteries I will probably start using my verizon supplied car charger since the USB is not effective.
    Last edited by bobjamision; 02-15-2005 at 09:40 AM.

mine's going back. it seems even slower that the usb built into the cradle. It doesn't work for me because at all times in the car I will either be on the phone or listening to mp3, so the phone is always doing something. The versacharger just keeps it at en even charge, it doesn't actually increase the battery level at all in a 45 minute commute.

VZW XV6600
    All chargers (USB, cradle, car, AC) inject approximately the same 5.0 Volts DC into the XV6600. Each charger outputs a different amount of DC Current (amperage), however, and this is what causes the different charge rates.

The original VZW AC adapter has a max output of 2 amps so it will charge the fastest.

Most USB ports only output 0.3 amps so they will typically charge the slowest - only 1/7 the rate of the AC charger! In some cases they will only power the XV6600 without charging the battery at all.

The cradle and some other hybrid adapters could be anywhere between 0.3 and 2 amps depending on what they are plugged into, so these chargers will typically fall somewhere between the above charge rate scenarios.

Posts on <a href="http://www.aximsite.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-60645.html" target="_blank">another forum</a> show that the Boxwave device does not charge the XV6600 at all under certain conditions but merely powers it to prevent further battery drain. What a horrible design!

If you want to save yourself some money and have the highest quality / fastest chargers available, then just find the cheapest DC adapters for car and home with a 5.0-6.0 volts DC output up to 2.0 amps. Cut the device plug off the end and buy a new barrel tip for it which will match the barrel tip on the original VZW AC charger. Then you can just keep a charger at each location (home, office, car, etc.) and simply carry the original VZW AC socket adapter with you. This adpater is smaller than all the mini-sync USB cables and it charges the XV6600 the fastest. A USB cable or cradle would still be good for data hookup but who needs that with wireless sync?

One last side note: I sold my old Siemens SX-56 phones but I kept the old AC chargers and socket adpaters. These plugs will work well on the XV6600 with a minor wiring change and they didn't cost me anything.

If anyone finds a good online source for the XV6600 connector please let me know. I found these sites but neither appear to list the XV6600, only the older XDA models:

http://www.gomadic.com/connectors.html
    http://www.phone-connector-manufactu...connectors.htm

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar
    Thank you. This is a very helpful thread for someone like me who hasn't yet bought diddly.

Does anyone know the amp output of the car charger sold at
    this store?
    Just switched from PPC6700 to AT&T Tilt.

Connector?

Originally posted by wilee
    If anyone finds a good online source for the XV6600 connector please let me know.
    By "connector" do you mean this?
    http://www.pdaphone.com/shop/index.p...9/prevstart/0/

edit-- sorry, I just followed you links and realized you were trying to find the raw components, not a finished adapter.
    Last edited by MannieBothans; 02-16-2005 at 09:43 AM.

A good wall adapter

Originally posted by jonlien
    Which website sells the wall chargers?
    Originally posted by lgreenberg
    www.boxwave.com
    I could not find a nice wall adapter that would plug into anything but the low amp mini synch. Is there something Boxwave offers that is different from http://www.boxwave.com/products/wallcharger/index.htm that I just did not see?

I did find http://www.gadgetfreeks.com/aucnacadforp.html but $25.00 is a lot to pay for just a wall adapter because http://www.dealsonic.com/5v2ampacadfo.html is only $9.99 and even that seems steep.

Then, of course, there's http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...3870&langId=-1
    Last edited by MannieBothans; 02-16-2005 at 09:32 AM.

VZW XV6600
    The only way to know for sure about the amperage output for any adapter is to look at the label on the charger. Some manufacturers or retailers may tell you what the rating is but they are often guessing or listing max values which may not represent the average continuous output. You also don't want to buy an adapter which has too many volts or amps - the excess voltage or amperage will often cause heat buildup at a minimum and may damage the device or burn out the adapter in extreme cases. I wouldn't use anything higher than DC 6.0 volts 2.0 amps peak or continuous just to be safe.

The connector shown <a href="http://www.pdaphone.com/shop/index....49/prevstart/0/" target="_blank">here</a> is identical to the factory cable and will work with any DC charger or USB cable as long as you connect the proper size barrel plug to the end of the charger or cable so that it will fit into the socket on this adapter. When doing this you have to make sure the polarity is the same as the original VZW adapter, which is "tip positive" (RED + wire on the inside of the barrel). If someone finds a good source for bare-terminal XV6600 connectors then we could wire those connectors directly to the adapters and save some cash - the bare wire versions are typically only $3 or less each. The original VZW connector with the socket may be best anyway since you won't have to solder all the jumpers to the bare connector and you will only have to solder the barrel plug to the adapter wire.

You can purchase the home and car versions of DC chargers at literally thousands of stores or websites. They can be chargers which were originally designed for other products such as radios, radar detectors, cameras, cordless phones, etc. Radio Shack sells many of these adapters and also the barrel plugs which will fit the XV6600 connector. Walmart sells the adapters as well. You just buy the adapter, clip off the existing connector, then solder on your new barrel tip and you are in business. Some adapters have sliding swithches for controlling the voltage and polarity of the wires, which make them ideal for sharing across many appliances.

The only thing you need to make sure of is that the output of the adapter is between 5.0-6.0 volts DC and 0.5-2.0 amps of continuous current. Many people will already have a spare adapter laying around the house, such as those leftover from my old Siemens SX-56 which are only 1.0 amp but will work fine for extra chargers at the office and traveling. Generally I prefer AC chargers which are as small as possible so something close to the original VZW charger is ideal. Of course you can also buy the original VZW charger but I haven't looked for a good source of those yet.

One last point is that the extra capacity 2200mah batteries for XV6600 will take longer to charge and thus you are better off with the full 2.0 amp chargers if you own one or more extended batteries.

Footnote - I have professional solder equipment and have done this for many years. If we can find a cheap source for the XV6600 connectors and DC adapters (~$5 or less each) then I would be willing to buy several dozen of each and assemble them for users of this forum at cost. I have contacted one of the manufacturers in China about the connector but haven't heard anything yet.
    Last edited by wilee; 02-16-2005 at 08:32 AM.

Re: A good wall adapter

Originally posted by MannieBothans
    I could not find a nice wall adapter that would plug into anything but the low amp mini synch. Is there something Boxwave offers that is different from http://www.boxwave.com/products/wallcharger/index.htm that I just did not see?
    With the xv6600 specific adapter above, any universal AC adapter w/ a 5V, 2Amp output should work. Something like this. Just make sure you configure the +/- correctly (if it's like the one I have, it depends on how you attach the little adapter at the end) and set it to 5V when you set it up.

Sidebar - why is it that I own a bunch of electronic equipment that requires 5V, but all the AC apapters that only output 1 voltage level are 4.5 or 6V?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

VZW XV6600
    The Radio Shack adapter will indeed work for the XV6600 and many other devices but $40 is a COMPLETE RIPOFF!!! For this amount of money you could just buy a new VZW cradle and/or adapter and be done with it. You can also buy a DC adapter which is smaller and provides the same amount of power for only $5.00 <a href="http://www.salcon.us/info/5vdc.htm" target="_blank">here</a>. Many other adapters are available on the web and even on ebay. Try searching Google using the "Froogle" feature for the terms "5 volt DC adapter" or something similar. The trick is to find an adapter which is cheap and small with a reasonably high amperage. I would personally settler for 1.0 amps or better.

Also, the voltage doesn't have to be exact. The XV6600 will still charge just fine with anything from 4.5-6.0 volts but I wouldn't recommend exceeding that range. The reason many DC adapters are set for 4.5 or 6.0 volts is that most devices are designed to run on standard alkaline batteries which are 1.5 volts each, so a 3-battery device requires 4.5 volts and a 4-battery device requires 6.0 volts.

Another option is to cutoff the barrel tip connector from the factory VZW adapter, then reconnect it with some type of male/female quick disconnect coupler. You could then use the same type of coupler on a USB cable, AC adapter, and car adapter so that you wouldn't have to buy new barrel tips for each wire.

I just heard back from the Gomadic vendor and they only have the original XDA connectors in stock for $3.25 each. These connectors could be hard wired for charging, data, or both but will require more soldering than just using the VZW adapter for charging only. The original XDA connector will work but the wiring is different for full functionality and the fit may not be as good as the new connectors with the groove cut into the side edge (see other posts on this forum for details).

Based on the info above, I plan to purchase an adapter for $5 and an XDA connector for $3.25. This will make a complete, compact AC charger which charges the XV6600 at almost the same rate as the VZW charger for only $8.25. Since I am wiring the connector from scratch I can also run a second line out to a USB plug to make a "Y" cable that will allow charging and data sync from the USB, or charging from the adapter all with the same cable. I already own a car plug with a female USB so the same cable will work in the vehicle. Not bad for $8.25 - if anyone finds better pricing or parts please let me know.

Happily Converged
    I have purchased two USB cables with car adaptors through the pdaphone.com store affiliated with this forum.

I noticed today, that when I was using my car adaptor/USB cable, it couldn’t even keep up. I started home with about 49% charge, made a couple of phone calls, listened to some audio books. When I arrived, I was at under 20%. I even noticed that when I left the car (checking to see that the charging indicator was lit even after the car was off) I had lost a % or two while I was out!

When I got home, I connected to the other USB cable directly from my computer. Still seemed to be losing power but the indicator was on.

When I put it in the cradle with the AC adaptor, it charged like mad.

Might there be a difference if I use the Audiovox OEM dedicated car charger?

Any thoughts wilee power guru?

My Boxwave DirectSync cable didn't work but the Minisync did. I've returned it and paying an additional $1.50 for another Minisync. When the device is off, the latter charges fast enough for my needs and it is nice and portable.

HOWEVER (although a little off-topic)

I strongly recommend against purchasing the Styra - Ballpoint Pen, Audiovox PC-6600

The top came off and the rest is stuck inside the device. I'm contacting Boxwave about it but I think I'm SOL.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Originally posted by Beryl
    HOWEVER (although a little off-topic)

I strongly recommend against purchasing the Styra - Ballpoint Pen, Audiovox PC-6600

The top came off and the rest is stuck inside the device. I'm contacting Boxwave about it but I think I'm SOL.
    I bought 2 of those, and I have used one without problems for about 2 months now. (Other one is still in the package in my desk). I had thought the design was flawed at initial viewing, but it has worked great for me without doing what happened to you. But I will be carefull to completely press the cap on from now on!

And I think everyone should not use the sylus as their regular pen---the more use the looser the cap will be. I just use it as a backup when I forget a pen.
    Jeremiah 29:11