+ Reply to Thread

Push Email, SMS, all have failed me

My job requires me to be notified of events ASAP. Our network monitoring software can send out emails and/or SMS messages. I was really hoping Verizon's WirelessSync would work faster than the 10 minutes it continually takes to get new messages, and SMS are showing up maybe 2/3's of the time. There's just no way I can justify carrying a pager AND the XV6600; after all this device is all about convergence.

Are there any WirelesSync configurations I should be looking at to possible speed things up? Should I subscribe to some SMS service? Will getting one of those managed Exchange email accounts notify me of messages as soon as they arrive?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

If your company can swing a server based solution, than Good is as good as it gets.

Its every bit as robust a solution as Blackberry and in my opinion probably better. Plus it supports a variety of different devices, like Treo's for example.

If you need something that runs on your machine, you can try something like Smartner Duality it seemed more responsive than most other solutions.

Maybe you can build a notification service based on IM? Exchange supports creating a 'corporate'-level IM server. If you can connect to that from the xv6600, then maybe you can have a developer write something that will allow IM-based alerts?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Check this out I just can't figure out if it actually integrates with server alerts or requires user interaction on the sending side.

Quote:
    Mobile Extensions

Via a partnership with Roam Secure, the e/pop Alert communication system can be extended to include a wide variety of cell phone, pager, Blackberry, PDA, and other wireless devices. A complete emergency broadcast system covers organization-wide PC desktop pop-up alerts, mobile devices, security, and audit and reporting. More...
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

http://visto.com is another company like Good. I dont know how good they are, but if you use Lotus Notes then this is the way to go. Good only supports Exchange.

Originally posted by willp2
    If your company can swing a server based solution, than Good is as good as it gets.
    I wish!

Originally posted by aarong
    I wish!
    What does that mean? They're not willing to invest in a server-side solution? IMO - If that's the case, and they're not willing to invest in some form of automated alert system that can provide immediate alerts, then they really don't need it.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    What does that mean? They're not willing to invest in a server-side solution? IMO - If that's the case, and they're not willing to invest in some form of automated alert system that can provide immediate alerts, then they really don't need it.
    Good costs too much. It's more cost effective to wear a pager + XV6600 than spending a considerable chunk of change on Good. We're a startup with few employees but plenty of responsibilities.

It's not terribly difficult to instruct my phone to check it's mail when I actually get mail. Why Verizon thinks checking every 15 minutes is "pushing" email to my phone, is beyond me.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Does anyone out there know how the Exchange 2003 signals verizon to send the push signal?

If we can get that... we can have our mail servers do it...

E

Exchange will send an "invisible" sms message. Just like a normal one, but doesn't show up, and will "trigger" a sync to occur. Now that being said, I have never personally used it myself, I have a program setup to send shortend copy of an email to my SMS account, and it filters out anything like spam and such.

I am also using, VZW sync program, but I am only fetching imap and pop mail every 15 minutes... not mission critical response stuff....

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I suspect Exchange doesn't send any SMS... but rather sends the carrier (verizon) a message and the carrier then sends out the SMS.

If someone would tcpdump (or ethereal) that message... and if it is non-encrypted... that would be grand

E

I think it's Exchange that actually sends it. It goes to the account you define in the Device Address field in ActiveSync. On the Exchange side, you can also define specific carriers to use, most likely as part of you're security policies.

I would've suggested this earlier, but I wasn't sure if aarong was using Exchange, and figured if he's loosing 2/3 SMS messages, it may not help him much anyway.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    I think it's Exchange that actually sends it. It goes to the account you define in the Device Address field in ActiveSync. On the Exchange side, you can also define specific carriers to use, most likely as part of you're security policies.

I would've suggested this earlier, but I wasn't sure if aarong was using Exchange, and figured if he's loosing 2/3 SMS messages, it may not help him much anyway.
    We do have an Exchange license lying around. I'm not a Windows admin in any sense of the word but my roommate, who happens to be a real Windows admin, says it's cake to setup and manage. I've got enough on my plate as it is; I'm not really looking forward to getting another box, putting Exchange on it, and migrating all our IMAP mail boxes over. *shrug* It's quickly looking like my only option, however.

I agree with Ehud though: if one knows what the SMS format is that the messaging stack grabs and passes to ActiveSync/POutlook, then it's a simple matter of a Perl script and a trigger on your favorite SMTP software (postfix, in my case)

edit: and those 2/3's that are getting through are emails to an SMS address. I've never had those be reliable on any carrier (Sprint, ATT, or Verizon)
    Last edited by aarong; 02-03-2005 at 04:33 PM.