+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Verizon e-mail :: what are my options? Details needed!

Hi,

I currently have a Treo600 on Sprint. I use Snappermail to periodically check mail (upon demand, when I initiate it) and receive frequent notifications via SMS.

I am about to switch to a XV6600 with Verizon, primarily because the rural coverage is so much better through Verizon than with Sprint.

My questions:

Does Pocket Outlook allow me to check my POP3 email accounts upon demand?

Will I have any trouble SENDING mail through Verizon? Do they have a SMTP server I can use, ala smtp.sprintpcs.com? Or can I connect to my own through their network?

How quick are Verizon SMS messages received?

How reliable is SMS messaging through Verizon?

Finally, can I safely ignore (not use) Verizon's Wireless Sync product? I'm not even sure what it does, but if it's like Sprint Business Connect, I don't need it. Please confirm I can check my POP3 accounts directly and don't need Wireless Sync for anything.

Thank you for the info!

Brandon

Re: Verizon e-mail :: what are my options? Details needed!

Originally posted by cbtrussell
    Does Pocket Outlook allow me to check my POP3 email accounts upon demand?
    Yes

Will I have any trouble SENDING mail through Verizon? Do they have a SMTP server I can use, ala smtp.sprintpcs.com? Or can I connect to my own through their network?
    You can connect to your own

How quick are Verizon SMS messages received?
    I recevie them instantly (<5 secs)

How reliable is SMS messaging through Verizon?
    Not sure. I only send via email to my handset, I never send from my handset

Finally, can I safely ignore (not use) Verizon's Wireless Sync product? I'm not even sure what it does, but if it's like Sprint Business Connect, I don't need it. Please confirm I can check my POP3 accounts directly and don't need Wireless Sync for anything.
    Doesn't sound like you need it.

I'm really missing Snappermail for Pop3 & IMAP. The great thing about Snappermail was that it stored mail on the card in HTML format and I can still read it on my new device.

Pocket Outlook isn't horrible.
    -- it allows attachments to be put to external storage
    -- it works really well with Wireless Sync and my Notes/Domino mail.

However
    -- it occasionally checks for POP & IMAP mail but sometimes it doesn't connect well. There are too few server options to ensure a 100% send/fetch. I'm not sure whether a "Internet" or Verizon Wireless" connection is better. Both options take a long, long time to complete only to bring back nothing.

-- it appears to work like Wireless Sync with Pop3 and IMAP mail in that it stays in sync with the server. Generally, I'll delete Pop3 mail from the server and keep it on my handheld and laptop.

-- with IMAP accounts, it will connect, look for headers, find the folders but no mail is displayed in the folders. The mail does reside on the server and I didn't put a limit on how many days to display.

Perhaps I've not properly configured it. Ideas? (Besides calling VZW.)

I'll buy a 3rd party package, if necessary.

I gave up on WS, to inconsistent, and realized it is totally unnecessary, and overkill, if you don't use an exchange server... I use Webis Mail. I heard Profimail (I think that's what it's called.) is good too...

Don't use SMS...

S

i use it to connect to my web email over pie and the built in messaging for my isp's pop3 account. i haven't even bothered with the wireless sync.

Originally posted by Swap

Don't use SMS...
    ???

Not sure what you mean. I don't like the SMS part of Pocket Outlook either since I can't pull up an email addy from the app.

Any recommendations there?

VZW does not have an SMTP server for subscribers. At least I have never found one. POP3 pulls work fine, but don't count on using your ISP's SMTP server as most now block outside access. VZW needs to get is $H!T together and provide a reliable SMTP outbound service. $44.95 for data access and no SMTP server. Come on - get real VZW.

Bob Duckworth

Wireless Sync is useless EXCEPT it does allow you to send outbound mail.
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

I have been using two smtp servers, gmail.com & sbcglobal.net without any problems. It looks like VZW has their s..t together, how about you?

Originally posted by Beryl
    ???

Not sure what you mean. I don't like the SMS part of Pocket Outlook either since I can't pull up an email addy from the app.

Any recommendations there?
    Sorry... I meant I don't use sms, so I can be of no help to you with that part of your question...

Bob,

This worked fine on the Treo 600 and the Kyocera 7135 with Snappermail and Eudoramail:

- smtp.vzwmail.net is the outbound server
    - 10digitcellnumber@vzwmail.net is the user name
    - password is the same as the one for vtext.com and Wireless Sync

I don't know how that is done with Pocket Outlook.

Bob,

This worked fine on the Treo 600 and the Kyocera 7135 with Snappermail and Eudoramail:

- smtp.vzwmail.net is the outbound server
    - 10digitcellnumber@vzwmail.net is the user name
    - password is the same as the one for vtext.com and Wireless Sync

I don't know how that is done with Pocket Outlook.
    Beryl:

I was less than accurate in my rant and I apologize. The real issue is that Poutlook does not offer the option of a separate account for SMTP servers. It's all irreversibly tied to the POP3 account name and password.

VZW CS suggested that I could set up a free web-based email account anf forward/send through this account, but that's no fun. Also, I suppose I could try another email program that does allow for separate authentication sub systems. In truth, I have just lived with Wireless Sync as the outbound limb of my portable email needs.

So, my apologies to VZW, my rant should be directed at that software giant of the NW, M$.

Bob Duckworth

@Bob
    I hear ya and can't believe I'm venturing to the dark side for the first time about 18 years of using PDAs (the HP 200LX doesn't count).

wow- I'm getting old!!! No, I got my first gadget when I was 10 -- right, that'll work.

@Swap

Thanks for the info on Webis. I tried both programs you suggested and Webis is more Snappermail-like. It's isn't as "Palm-friendly" but it will do.

[B
    Thanks for the info on Webis. I tried both programs you suggested and Webis is more Snappermail-like. It's isn't as "Palm-friendly" but it will do. [/B]
    I loaded WebIS Mail 2.0 up as well and after finally getting the smtp parameters for vzwmail.net set right, it works pretty well.

Inbound via my ISP and outbound via VZW's SMTP server for vtext.

I'll run it thru the wringer during the trial period and see how it works out.

Thanks to whomever for this suggestion.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth

Bob, just a suggestion - make sure you test an email that is over 160 characters through that SMTP server. If it was meant strictly as a Vtext server, it may want to truncate or split the messages.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    Bob, just a suggestion - make sure you test an email that is over 160 characters through that SMTP server. If it was meant strictly as a Vtext server, it may want to truncate or split the messages.
    Thanks Lee, I will do that and report back to the group.

Bob Duckworth

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to take the plunge on a VX6600 tomorrow.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Side note: It is not the responsibility of an ISP to offer an SMTP "remailer". VZW does have their **** together. They don't offer email services period.

It is the responsibility of the ISP where you get your mail (note, "where you get your mail" means they offer email services ) to offer an SMTP server that allows Authentication. That way they know it's you when you connect from the Pocket PC and allow your outbound email through.

Search the forum for SMTP AUTH.

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    Side note: It is not the responsibility of an ISP to offer an SMTP "remailer". VZW does have their **** together. They don't offer email services period.

It is the responsibility of the ISP where you get your mail (note, "where you get your mail" means they offer email services ) to offer an SMTP server that allows Authentication. That way they know it's you when you connect from the Pocket PC and allow your outbound email through.
    Well, that works fine so long as the ISP you're connected through at any given moment allows outbound connections on port 25.

What happens when Verizon decides to block outbound mail? Well I guess they'd darn sure better have an SMTP option then. IMHO, it's a fairly standard offering they should have available for their subscribers already, if in fact they don't. I mean come on, for the $45/mo data charge they demand, they should be able to offer the same SMTP service Sprint currently includes for my $15/mo.

Brandon

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Verizon doesn't block SMTP. (port 25).

The rest of the rant, while fun to read, is meaningless.

Look, they don't offer email IN or OUT and they don't block it. That's perfectly acceptable for a "carrier" service.

They're not charging you $45 because they want to offer you 134 services, they're doing it for the 1xRTT/EVDO carrier and an IP address. That's it.

It's not that they "should be able to offer" or "can offer" or whatever. They don't.

It's not like your email address is "somebody@verizonwireless.com" so get over it. You are not getting email services from them. They are not providing email services to you.

E

Rant? Who's ranting?

I suspect you've never had an ISP who arbitrarily decided to block outbound port 25 connections without advance notice. It happens all the time. ISP's change their policies every day.

Can Verizon do it? Absolutely.

Will Verizon ever do it? I have no idea. And no matter what you say, NEITHER DO YOU. My point was, if they ever do, then it's going to be major problem.

If you makes you feel good to adamantly assert that Verizon should never have to offer SMTP services, then by all means knock yourself out. It's not that big of a deal, guy