+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Summary of advantages over i700?

I've been reading through the posts here, and have gotten a lot of information on this phone... I am a pretty happy owner of an i700 (one of the first in Texas to have one), and my "killer app" is the Thunderhawk browser. I have two questions for y'all:

1. Can someone post a simple outline of the advantages this unit has over the i700?

2. If anyone has this phone in the Houston area, can you tell me how much faster EVDO browsing is than on the i700?

Thanks!

StewartG

I used an I700 for over a year and I would still have it if I didn't slam the car door on it while it was in my coat pocket. I just couldn't buy the same phone again when something knew was out.

What do I like better about the XV6600?

It feels and looks nicer. It feels more solid, more of a metal, rugged feel. The I700 had a plastic feel to me.

It's definitely faster, noticeable so. Maybe because my I700 was so bogged down with applications and programs but I did have it overclocked, yet the 6600 just walks circles around it in speed.

The slide out keyboard is nice but to be honest I still find myself using the screen keyboard mostly. This is just because of habbit and I'm trying to force myself to break it. But I could live without the physical keyboard if I had to.

Having the SD slot on top is sweet, that small improvement makes a big difference to me. Having no antenna is also very nice.

Even though the I700 was not bad in this regard the 6600 is better; I can pick it up and handle it without accidentally pressing any of the buttons and making something happen on the phone. In fact you pretty much have to intentionally want to press a button for it to happen. Overall the 6600 has an improved layout.

The screens are equal. They do look different but one is not better than the other. Both are perfectly fine.

What don't I like?

I miss the camera very much. Yes, it sucked for image quality but just to have it was nice. I did take a few pictures here and there that I wouldn't have got had the I700 not had a camera. If I could change one thing about the 6600 it would be the inclusion of a camera.

It's not loud enough. Nothing about the 6600 is loud enough. The phone doesn't ring loud enough, the speaker phone isn't loud enough, phone calls aren't loud enough.. I'm always fiddling with the volume knob to turn it up but it's as loud as it gets. In a crowd I could easily have a conversation on my I700 but with the 6600 I'm always saying, "What?"

It is a faster and better unit, no doubt. I would not want to go back to the I700.

In addition....

I would add though that lack of antenna makes this way more pocketable. Also, rounded corners helps too. i700 was a bit boxy.

Stylus at the top of the unti is so much better. The stylus of the 6600 actually fits the reset button so there's no screwing. No longer will you have a stylus that you have to manually extend.

EVDO is king.

Faster processor.

Obviously built in keyboard.

Camera will be missed too.

That pretty much sums it up.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

As a XV6600 user, who migrated after a year on the SPH-i700, I second the responses to stewartg's question, with little else to add.

Except that I live in Houston, and EVDO feels 4-5 x faster on PIE screen loads and flips. My 1XRTT speed was about 80-110 Kpps. My EVDO speed varies ... right now (and yes, I just cleared the cache), it's 4.08 Mbps.

Bob

Average speed is supposed to be 500 KBs (I think). So that sounds about right.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Okay guys, thanks for the responses...

Any of y'all use Thunderhawk? Is it any better?

Also, can you convert a .wav file for a ringer? I did that with my i700, and just boosted the volume on the file before I imported it on to the phone.

Anyone else have problems with phone and speakerphone volume?

You can use WMAs as ringers. Much smaller than WAV files.

Louder ringers work well.

I can't use TH worth a darn on this thing, but PIE works much better, IMHO, than the i700.

Volume is less than the i700, but adequate for me.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Thunderhawk works great for me. No issues at all.

While the phone itself could stand to be about 3db louder, my plantronics BT3500 headset is quite loud, almost too loud. That makes up for a bit.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Regarding Thunderhawk:
    I used it for a year on my i700 for a year and use it now on my 6600. It works great and provides the best browsing experience I have ever had on a PDA. Don't take my word on that, however. They offer a free 30 day trial. See for yourself.

I've been using thunderhawk for a year and a half on the i700, and love it. Like I said, its my "killer app."

What version are you guys running who are running it successfully? And for what machine did you download? I read somewhere "Thera or Maestro." Was this what you guys used?

Thanks for the heads up!!!

I belive Verizon nor any other company did not come out with camera version because it would drain battery fast. Also making louder speaker phone would affect battery life as well.

i700 has second extended battery, Audiovox xv6600 doesnt...I guess they all waiting till extended battery is released......

....I think it was released few days ago -->extended battery....hopefully Verizon will have Audiovox xv6600 camera version soon..... they did not want to release something that customers will complain a lot....

Samsung PPC - i700 vs Audiovox XV6600

Hey All

I am considering buying a Audiovox XV6600 how much faster is it loading websites vs the I700? Any help much appreciated...

Thanks
    Steve

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    If you're in an EVDO area, it's 10 times faster.

In a 1xRTT area it's exactly as fast.

Loading websites on a pocket pc using pocket IE is entirely bandwidth dependent.

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    If you're in an EVDO area, it's 10 times faster.

In a 1xRTT area it's exactly as fast.

Loading websites on a pocket pc using pocket IE is entirely bandwidth dependent.

Ehud
    But doesn't the XV-6600 render the pages faster since it has a faster processor?

My i700 displays graphic intensive web pages at least twice as fast as my 7135 did, but nowhere near as fast as my laptop when using my i700 as a modem. 1x connection for all three.

Also, there is virtually no difference in the speed of displaying graphic intensive web pages on the i700 between 1x, or using my Sandisk WiFi card through my cable modem, even though speed tests indicate a >10x difference in connection speed, and there is a distinct difference between 1x and QNC.

Alan

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    You would think that it should, but I can't tell a difference. This could be because I don't go to rendering-intesive websites.

My usual sites that showed no improvement from the i700:
    www.google.com
    www.dslreports.com
    us.imdb.com/search

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    You would think that it should, but I can't tell a difference. This could be because I don't go to rendering-intesive websites.

My usual sites that showed no improvement from the i700:
    www.google.com
    www.dslreports.com
    us.imdb.com/search

Ehud
    But you do see a real difference with EVDO even so? Interesting.

Alan

I am sure you have realized by now that it is not just bandwith dependent.

There are major limitations to Pocket IE functionality. That is why programs like ThunderHawk and Netfront are so sucessful. Neither of the two or rather three are perfect.

Processor -VS- Memory -VS- Bandwith -VS- OS

The VX6600 is an outstanding device and in many terms much better than the I700 but I am still waiting for the next release of the OS, CE5 or PPC2005 or WinCE05 or what ever they call it.

The update ability of the next OS are suposed to be M$ dependent not Audiovox dependant. There suppost to be a significant amount of other improvement as well.

I am sure there with be a few more device that are EVDO funtional as well like the I730. you will get a better comparision

I've used CPU monitors enough both with the PPC-6601 and with an Ipaq 2215 to conclude that processor speed is not a particularly important factor in rendering web pages. For example, when using xcpuscalar with auto steps at 200 400 473 and 523, the CPU speed stayed mostly at a fairly small percentage of 200 or 400, which would seem to indicate that any bottlenecks are somewhere other than the processor.
    FWIW, some (but not all) pages rendered much faster on my 2215 when I was using a wifi connection than when I was using a GPRS or Vision connection. With the PPC-6601, I've used IP Dashboard to monitor download speeds, and have notice that file downloads are considerably faster than webpage downloads, and that some sites download speeds are consistently much faster than others.
    Mick