+ Reply to Thread

Sync Options: GoodLink, Verizon, & Active Sync

zHas anyone done a review of the various cradle-less over the air syncing options, e.g., GoodLink vs. Verizon Wireless Sync vs. the latest MS exchange 2003 active sync?

It would be nice to know the pros/cons from the user perspective.

Thanks.

I agree. I am especially interested in Active Sync with Exchange. I run a server out of my house and can set up static Ip via DDNS...seriously considering it. I also pull from a couple of clients pop accounts as well...right now I cannot send email out and would love to have it sync for me...if not actually push email to me.
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

I'm running an Exchange server from home and using Exchange ActiveSync. It works really well, except for some issues I still need to work out one of these days w/ SSL certifcates. I also use DDNS, and it works fine (btw, DDNS does NOT give you a static IP. If you had a static IP, you wouldn't need DDNS). For outbound SMTP, I use my DDNS provider's (DynDNS.org) MailHop Outbound, which basically allows me to use thier SMTP server for $15/yr (you set it up as a SmartRelay on the server).
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I have been using GoodLink on the XV6600, which has worked very nicely. I recently installed Verizon's wireless sync service to see how it compares. While I have Exchange 2003, for this test I simply installed the desktop based re-director software.

The Verizon wireless software which works with Pocket Outlook (GoodLink replaces Pocket Outlook), has some nice features that GoodLink doesn't, such as automatically downloading information for meetings that are out of town, such as weather, flight information, and directions. Some of the Pocket Outlook screens are nicer than the GoodLink screens, such as the Calendar screen options.

The display of Pocket Outlook calendar info on the Today screen seems to take up more room than the GoodLink calendar info on the Today screen. Pocket Outlook likes to take 3 lines of text for every appointment on the Today screen, while GoodLink takes two. This may not seem to be a big deal, but it means I can't fit other stuff on my Today screen, such as weather information.

It seems that the Verizon wireless syncing makes my XV6600 run slower while syncing than GoodLink.

I have been running the two together for only 1 day, but it seems that GoodLink syncs much faster than Verizon wireless, and does it in an invisible way, whereas Verizon seems to pop up screens while it is syncing. Also, when I do a soft-reset, it seems to take much longer with Verizon wireless sync enabled, since it has to re-sync a bunch of stuff with every reset, while GoodLink doesn't.

GoodLink seems to be more flexible in syncing with folders that are not nested under the Inbox, whereas Verizon seems to have a hard time syncing with folders you create that are not nested under the Inbox.

I like Verizon's web-mail site that accompanies the sync client, which GoodLink doesn't offer.

It is much too soon for me to say which I like better, but right now I'm leaning towards going back to GoodLink. I may find some ways of making the Verizon sync work better, in which case I might change my mind.