+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I... - Phone

I just purchased the XV6600 and have been using it for 2 days. I have been a Kyocera 6035 & 7135 user the past few years. After scanning this board, i've learned a few tricks so far about using the phone part of the device (I also have questions about the PDA portion in another message) I have a few more questions about using the phone. (I Have Verizon service)

So far, i've found "FingerClix" that could replace parts of the Datebook5 that integrated with my contact book; I'm sure there's other software / hacks that can address the following (or at least i hope so)

1. Distintive/custom ring tones for different people/categories
    - is there a way to program different ringers for different callers - or caller types - business/personal?

2. On the dialer, is there a way to see the phone number and classifcation (home/cell/bus) ? I'm using the standard dialer - is it just a skin change?

3. Hands free answer - when a call comes in on the 7135, it "prompts me" if i want to answer - i just have to answer "yes" and it does

4. Is the software voice command the only voice-activated capability? If I don't buy the software, I won't have it?

5. Does the speaker work? If I want to dial my voice mail and then log in to the service, how can i bring the keypad back to the front? Or do I use the keypad?

6. or as an alternative to 5, can a number be programmed, have a Pause, then have the phone enter the number, pause, pin #?

Part of the attraction of the XV6600 is the keypad that i could use, but i've been trying to understand the user interface on the screen first.

Thanks
    Kyocera 6035-> Kyocera 7135 -> Verizon 6600VX -> Samsung i760 -> AT&T Tilt

I have a few answers to your quetions, hope these help.

3- there is a feature in the settings you can change to automatically answer the phone after a selectable number of rings if the unit is in hands-free mode.

5/6 - Go to phone mode, on the bottom of the screen go to Tools>>Options. You'll see your voicemail number in there. For instance I have Verizon and my voicemail number is *86. Move to the end of the number and add about 4 letter "p". Those 4 P's are pauses, I believe each "p" is a 1 second pause. Then add whatever you normally would type in to get into your voicemail. For instance, to acces my voicemail, during my message I hit "#" then my 4 digit PIN code then "#" again.

So for Verizon users, this would be the ideal string to have in the "voicemail" box in the tools section...

*86pppp#1234#

the "1234" would be your pin code. That's it!!! So next time you press your voicemail button by holding down the "1" button or clicking on the dialogue box, it will automatically dial your VM and type in your code for you!!

5 - You can bring the keypad back to the front by clicking on the "x" on the top right-hand corner of your screen to close your contacts or any other screens that may be open.
    Last edited by Embob007; 02-04-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Embob...

I've been trying to input my codes in voice mail since I've had the phone... no dice. It will not 'see' the additional inputs. I followed your directions. Then try pushing *86... Also tried speedial 1. Nothing.

I'm on verizon. It hasn't worked for my home voicemail either. It's a huge pain, since I need to check in hourly...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Swap---what Embob suggested should work. How exactly did you try to enter the extra commands?
    Jeremiah 29:11

I couldn't edit *86 on my 7135, but did on my6600 - it was pretty simple comparatilvely - bring up speed dial list, highlight #1 (*86) until the "swirly" activates, then select edit (can't delete)

*86 comesup under "Voicemail" - put in pppp# then your pin and #

On my 7135, a pause is , instead of p which is what got me confused...
    Kyocera 6035-> Kyocera 7135 -> Verizon 6600VX -> Samsung i760 -> AT&T Tilt

sometimes the *86 doesn't seem to work right. you can use your own phone number instead. ie
    1(201)-555-1234ppppyyyy#

i found using the cell number to be a little more reliable.

Nope, still doesn't work.

I folled your instructions to a T. You know, on my treo (and 7135 for that matter), when I dialed the number with all the codes attached, that # and the codes would come up in the window of the phone view as it rang. Now, after inputing all the numbers and letters, I try calling, and just the number (or *86) appears, no extra digits. Yet I return to tools - options - voicemail and all the extra numbers are still there.

Seems to me that's some sort of clue, no?
    Last edited by Swap; 02-04-2005 at 05:02 PM.

Happily Converged
    Originally posted by Embob007

5 - You can bring the keypad back to the front by clicking on the "x" on the top right-hand corner of your screen to close your contacts or any other screens that may be open.

5 - You can also just push the green phone button.

I also came from the 7135 still getting used to the differences.

I've replaced the *86 commands with the phone number, pauses, etc for my corporate voice mail. I've found that both commas and p's work for pauses. Keep trying. For some reason it didn't seem to work for me the first few times either. You might want to have it dial a regular telephone number and see if you hear the tones. You might have tones turned off somehow.

Can I make speakerphone a default?

Hi everyone....for some reason I have a hard time hearing on this phone....I have to put it on speakerphone and turn down the volume some, making it like an amplified phone. Is there a way to always have the speakerphone on? Thanks!

rhlit, i've heard there is a patch or hack that can do that. But...speakerphone is only half-duplex i believe, so you wont be able to carry the conversation as effeciently as you would with just using the earpiece. Isn't there a patch that addresses the low volume earpiece fix??

Originally posted by FaxMan
    You might have tones turned off somehow.
    Thanks for your help...

No tones that I can hear. Hmm... anyone know if there's an on/of for tones on this thing? I can't find one...

On the Sprint PPC6601 - I'm pretty sure the speakerphone is full-duplex... At least, that was what it appeared to me to be the couple of times I've used it
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

Sorry guys, but what is full or half duplex mean? And, how do I get that patch!?

Happily Converged
    Half/Full Duplex...

Half Duplex = only one person can talk at a time. When one talks, the other gets cut off.

Full Duplex = both can talk and hear each other at the same time.

Most cheap speakerphones are half duplex.

I also believe that the xv6600 is full duplex.

Wink

thanks fax man....I set up my xv6600 tonight so that I would have speakerphone all the time as I read here on the boards how to do this (I would still prefer a patch if anyone has one--thanks). I hope that I will not be too close to the microphone (as it is in speakerphone mode now) when I put it up to my ear (I'll find out tomorrow!). I set the volume on the lowest since it is in speakerphone mode now. I also downloaded the old phone loud from this site tonight, and set the phone on increasing ring volume. I think now I have licked both of the worst problems I was having with this phone. I just need a case that doesn't open, rather just a window and is easily accessible, and I am all set. I just love the broadband on it, and it has already saved me more than the monthly costs in business usage in a week (I am paying $45./month for unlimited broadband)! Thanks again for everyone's input and posts in this forum!!

under phone settings there is a field for keypad. that should turn on the touch tones. short tones and long tones.

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    As to your question about distinctive ring tones... the answer is no. I've tried everything out there so far. I loved it on the i700.

It appears the SE operating system made changes and nothing works. I hope that MTUX will fix RingToneX to work, but since they have T-Mobile phones, they probably aren't in any hurry to update the program just yet. We can only sit and wait...

Originally posted by crash
    under phone settings there is a field for keypad. that should turn on the touch tones. short tones and long tones.
    SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much....

Happily Converged
    Originally posted by rhlitt
    thanks fax man....I set up my xv6600 tonight so that I would have speakerphone all the time ....
    Can you point me/us to a thread with the info? I've been searching and found discussion, but no solution.

Thanks!

Hi..couldn't find it, but here is how. First, call your voice mail. Then hangup. Then tap at the top where you can shut your phone off. Tap shut phone off and immediately hold down the green (talk) button at the bottom of the phone until speakerphone on shows up at the very top where the icons are. You need to do this fast. Then, just make sure your phone is turned back on. Might take a couple of tries to get the hang of it. To shut it off, do a soft reset. I will post the original technique once I find the post. Hope this helps!